Ask Danny | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ask Danny

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Finally a new Ask Danny is on the main site.
It always makes for interesting reading.
Has anyone ever had a question answered by Danny??

No, but i'd like to ask him one question. What will you be doing this time next year? ;D

I am writing with concern about the number of 'talls' on our list. We have nine players who we would consider tall (over 190cm) and when analysing other clubs, they average about 13 talls each. I feel that if we have injuries in this area we will struggle in a big way. We have only one genuine key forward in 'Richo'. We rotate ruckmen down there to help him out. We desperately need someone of the Kent Kingsley ilk and a big, strong centre half-forward to play through. Down back we have Darren Gaspar, who is a very good footballer, Andy Kellaway, who lacks strength to take on the really big guys, and Ben Holland, who did a good job in 2001, but the stats show he isn't going to dominate a game. I feel we desperately need a 'gorilla' (as Denis Pagan would say) to take on the Lynchs and Roccas etc. The other talls I haven't named – Ottens, Hall and Stafford – are ruckmen. Royce Vardy, who has been at the club for a few years, has struggled to cement a place in the team. Jay Schulz will take at least two years to gain a regular spot in the side. In reality, if something happens to Richo or Gaspar, we will not have the replacements. Also, I would like to ask why more talls aren't put on the Rookie List, as talls take more time to develop.

Regards,

Ian Farley

Ian,

I appreciate we're you're coming from because injuries to our taller players really crippled us last year. The recruiting of young Jay Schulz will certainly help in this area. Jay is a very promising youngster, who we believe can develop into a valuable key-position player for us. We believe we have reasonable depth in the big man department and, hopefully, we'll be able to avoid the injury problems that plagued our talls last year. It's extremely hard these days, with list numbers being so tight, just to top up with certain type players as back-up in case injuries hit. You have to look for a balance between talls, midfielders, flankers, goalkickers, etc. Our view is we now have a pretty reasonable balance within the playing group, but I guess only time will tell if that (hopefully) proves to be the case.

Regards,

Danny

Good question this one (no it's not from me..ha ;D). I think many of us thought during the trading period we needed to get another tall. If we get through relatively unscathed with respect to injuries to our talls then this won't be an issue but if not then not drafting/recruiting at least one more tall could really come back to bite us on the bum. Like Danny I hope this won't happen. Fingers crossed.

mightytiges said:
I am writing with concern about the number of 'talls' on our list. We have nine players who we would consider tall (over 190cm) and when analysing other clubs, they average about 13 talls each. I feel that if we have injuries in this area we will struggle in a big way. We have only one genuine key forward in 'Richo'. We rotate ruckmen down there to help him out. We desperately need someone of the Kent Kingsley ilk and a big, strong centre half-forward to play through. Down back we have Darren Gaspar, who is a very good footballer, Andy Kellaway, who lacks strength to take on the really big guys, and Ben Holland, who did a good job in 2001, but the stats show he isn't going to dominate a game. I feel we desperately need a 'gorilla' (as Denis Pagan would say) to take on the Lynchs and Roccas etc. The other talls I haven't named – Ottens, Hall and Stafford – are ruckmen. Royce Vardy, who has been at the club for a few years, has struggled to cement a place in the team. Jay Schulz will take at least two years to gain a regular spot in the side. In reality, if something happens to Richo or Gaspar, we will not have the replacements. Also, I would like to ask why more talls aren't put on the Rookie List, as talls take more time to develop.

Regards,

Ian Farley

Ian,

I appreciate we're you're coming from because injuries to our taller players really crippled us last year. The recruiting of young Jay Schulz will certainly help in this area. Jay is a very promising youngster, who we believe can develop into a valuable key-position player for us. We believe we have reasonable depth in the big man department and, hopefully, we'll be able to avoid the injury problems that plagued our talls last year. It's extremely hard these days, with list numbers being so tight, just to top up with certain type players as back-up in case injuries hit. You have to look for a balance between talls, midfielders, flankers, goalkickers, etc. Our view is we now have a pretty reasonable balance within the playing group, but I guess only time will tell if that (hopefully) proves to be the case.

Regards,

Danny

Wow.I missed this one.
I really like,
" but I guess only time will tell if that (hopefully) proves to be the case.

&

"I appreciate we're you're coming from "

We're are you coming from spud ??

I'd love to ask Danny, "whats the game plan ? "

I reckon he wouldnt be able to answer that one, since everyone knows there is no game plan.

About 4 months ago on that same chat/forum,
I asked him if he thought he was a good coach.

I heard nothing back.

I sent heaps of ask Danny messages and finally got a response posted when I asked a really lame question that made everything sound peachy. I tested this theory again and got another reply! (that is, 2 lame questions, 2 lame repies) Not worth wasting your time - even "controversial" questions chosen for response are selected very carefully. The tough issues are avoided. It's more like a kids page.

"Dear Danny, Are we gonna try real hard this year?

We sure are son!"

In 2002 I had two of my questions answered by Danny on this Ask Danny section. One was about the boys how close etc they were etc saying how crucial it was to winning a flag palying for each other rather than as individuals wiht each other. Dig deeper for your mates.

Another one I think was similar about talls in 2002.

This is one reason Idont want Royce Vardy delisted, but I think it is unlikely he will be kept from what Iahve heard.

They should change the name of the site from "Ask Danny" to "Ask Danny and get Tony Greenberg to answer it"

I, like you Mac have sent a number of letters to ask Danny and have only had my most puffy letters answered. Any which would have put Danny/Tony on the back foot were never answered.

It is a joke.

mightytiges said:

Regards,

Ian Farley

Ian,

Regards,

Danny

Good question this one (no it's not from me..ha ;D). I think many of us thought during the trading period we needed to get another tall. If we get through relatively unscathed with respect to injuries to our talls then this won't be an issue but if not then not drafting/recruiting at least one more tall could really come back to bite us on the bum. Like Danny I hope this won't happen. Fingers crossed.
mighty tiges i must admit im the author of this letter. as i said at the start of the yr i think its the clubs major weakness. we still need 4 or 5 kpp preferably guys who are versatile enough to play at both ends of the ground