Attrition and the four champions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Attrition and the four champions

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The great champion Chimp Kazoo.

Jack Riewoldt. All-time great.

Legend Shane Edwards

And all-time great defender Bachar Houli.

We don't know which limb, which joint or structure is most worn and torn. And we don't know whether the recent or impending surgeries will be effective or rapid.

This quartet is easily top ten for us. Some would argue that Cotchin is irreplaceable. They all are to some extent.

They have strength. God, give them durability.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
I think Jack & Bachar have one good year left in them, maybe two. Chimp & Shedda I think have two if we can get them some decent rest time during the season. Ideally we get more out of them but either way let's hope we can cash in as much as possible while these guys are still around. The next two years is also the window where we need to start giving more game time to their heirs. Not sure if we can do this across all positions given the current state of the list.

In terms of planning for their replacements the club has already stated they see Thompson Dow having "Shane Edwards like" qualities & from memory I also heard Hardwick mention they see RCD as the eventual replacement for Cotchin structurally. Remains to be seen if either is up to the task & definitely leaves a massive gap from a leadership POV. Ross another likely looking candidate but again big shoes to fill here.

Regarding Bachar's replacement I would've imagined Markov or the Egg man would be most likely but this is clearly not what the club has in mind. Maybe Ralphsmith or Cumberland could transition here.

Jack leaving is the one that makes me the most nervous, as apart from Biggy who is very speculative I don't really see a legitimate replacement on our list. Maybe with a CCJ/Caddy/Nank rotation we could cover this off at a pinch but like most of us I'd love us to have another developing fwd in the 192-196cm size.

I imagine we'll trade one of our picks next year, use 5 & target 2KPP's (1 fwd, 1 back), 1 inside mid, 1 outside mid/flanker, & a medium sized fwd/back

Reactions: 1 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I reckon Bachar has one more.

I reckon Cotch and Jack have two.

I reckon Shedda has at least three. He still seems to be on an upward curve and he basically missed this year, which will work in his favour.

Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The great champion Chimp Kazoo.

Jack Riewoldt. All-time great.

Legend Shane Edwards

And all-time great defender Bachar Houli.

We don't know which limb, which joint or structure is most worn and torn. And we don't know whether the recent or impending surgeries will be effective or rapid.

This quartet is easily top ten for us. Some would argue that Cotchin is irreplaceable. They all are to some extent.

They have strength. God, give them durability.

I reckon Bachar has 10 games left in him

Jack 40

Cotchy 42

Sheds 100

agree Chimp Kazoo is irreplaceable. Footballers who consistently perform measurable and upscaleable miracles, to a Captain Matchbox backing track, dont live in trees.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think Bachar will pull the pin after next season. Jack has at least next season in him. Cotch seems to want to go on for a couple more and Edwards could be a Burgoyne type evergreen.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
In terms of output, all bar Sheds are past their peak in my uninformed keyboard opinion.

I think we now get C-level output from Jack, B-level from Cotch and Bachar, and A-level from Sheds.

Arguably Jack's career is being extended by the presence of Tom Lynch. They compliment each other well and Jack is able to benefit from Tom's heavy lifting. Jack is still contributing adequately. Personally it was the decision not to operate on his knee in early 2019 that will impact his final years the most. However it did get him a 2019 medal and therefore paid off.

I am expecting it is Bachar's last year, Jack 1-2 years, Cotch 2 years and Sheds 3+ years.

No disrespect to Bachar, but I think he is the easiest to replace and Short/Baker to some extent have already stepped up and filled the gap. Bachar is an elite distributor which Short/Baker are very good at, although not elite. It is clear Bachar will be around the club for many years to come through his foundation work.

Reactions: 2 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Just on JR8.....he kicked two in the GF but could easily have had six. Yes, six.
Missed two easy shots.
Edwards point on three quarter time running towards goal, Jack was alone 15 out ten meters away..easy goal.
KMac goal in the first...Jack was ten meters ahead and alone thirty out. Another easy goal.
Six on offer in the GF.
The knee and covid separation affected him badly.
He is still a great forward and gives plenty away rather than take for himself.
If he has the desire he can play on .

Houli was AA a year ago but calf strains are a sign the end is near.
Cotch can play on if he has the desire.
Edwards has years left. He is at his peak right now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Jack kicked a few in a game last year and gave a little shot to Malthouse who had questioned whether his time was up. He wants to go on for a season or two yet. All 4 of those blokes have another flag in them, maybe two.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Bachar probably going to be his last year.

Trent , the fact he hasn't given up the captaincy would mean he wants to play for another couple. Normally players hand down the captaincy for a year or so before retiring.

Jack , 1-2 more & Edwards as others have mentioned is flying. probably 2-3 at least for him.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I would think Bachar will pull the pin after season 2021, Jack also. Reckon the skipper will go at the end of 2022 and Shedda the year after.

Reactions: 3 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
All our guys with medals will sleep happy for the rest of their lives. We should too. But if they can pull out one more....just madness.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bachar certainly looks like his body won't take more than 1 year of AFL footy at this point.

Cotch is an interesting one, signs of being more prone to injury but possibly 2 more years.

Jack is clearly a year or two off retirement but he has the smarts to make a contribution still, he should be kept to apprentice a successor. He's probably pinching himself that he is now a triple premiership player, bet he never thought that would be possible. I reckon he retires a happy man.

Shedda certainly looks very resilient and hopefully 3 maybe 4 more years if he wants to.

Players like these 4 don't come around every day, but their times are coming and it will be sad to see them retire. Would love to see them get more premiership medals but 3 is f***ing amazing and they deserve to have a big say in their retirement timing.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
For footballs sake Dyre'ere I hope they all have durability and for us Tiger fans longevity.
But the longevity brings a double edged sword, other players just younger without the durability could see an exodus of the 4 mentioned and perhaps a Grimes, astbury. This would truely test the next brigade.
Go tigers.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Always thought Cotch would go first given his body is a battering ram... or Jack. Surprised but pleased they are all going on. I think they see a chance to be immortals if they can grab another flag.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Always thought Cotch would go first given his body is a battering ram... or Jack. Surprised but pleased they are all going on. I think they see a chance to be immortals if they can grab another flag.

off hand, I can think of only 3 footballers who demonstrated as little regard for the welfare of their own body on a footy field as our great captain, Trent Cotchin

Jon Brown
Luke Ball
and David Bourke.

Marlion Pickett probably makes the shortlist also.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think Bachar's last season for sure.

But don't right off Cotch and Jack just yet. To say they are past their peak is probably true, but both have changed their game styles considerably in the last few years to assist the team. Cotch in particular doesn't look the Brownlow medalist he is, but has sacrificed a lot of his own game for the team. I can see him being productive towards the end of his career when he gets a chance to give up the captaincy and play a game more natural too him.

And I agree with the assessment of Jack and his smarts. You'd be brave to back against him until he decides he is done.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I reckon Bachar has 10 games left in him

Jack 40

Cotchy 42

Sheds 100

agree Chimp Kazoo is irreplaceable. Footballers who consistently perform measurable and upscaleable miracles, to a Captain Matchbox backing track, dont live in trees.
I think the Whoopee Band can play for others. But only if they’re worthy.
We’re investing in rucks to package with picks to land heirs to the throne - we just need luck to smile on them.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I agree with just about all the comments on these guys. They have been great servants so whenever they decide to end their careers they will always be remembered for their contribution to the club.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
off hand, I can think of only 3 footballers who demonstrated as little regard for the welfare of their own body on a footy field as our great captain, Trent Cotchin

Jon Brown
Luke Ball
and David Bourke.

Marlion Pickett probably makes the shortlist also.
I’d put Hodge in the list, too.