Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Although not sure what Frick's point is and it doesn't really explain why 26th Jan is so important. Nor did it discuss much about centuries of mistreatment.

I think he is saying Aboriginals were a scattered, violent lot that continually killed each other and europeans gave the gift of civilsation? It wasn't as much disposession as demonstration on how to build a society/work the land etc?

The point sounded to me, like Frick was saying that because the other tribes would have raped and murdered each others tribe members that just because the white settlers came in and did it instead means it doesn't really matter. We just colonised an island that had rabid inbred tribes in it.

I think most peoples thoughts to what was said, were just like his screen name - frickenel!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You can also sit and believe the whole "First Nations" lie because this country clearly was not a 'nation' of aboriginals,

It seems we have someone who has trouble with the English language here.

Ok, in English, we have the concept of plurals. Plurals of a noun are used to indicate a value more than one.

You will notice that the talk is of First Nations, not First Nation. So, no, it clearly was not a single nation (or even One Nation) of indigenous peoples. This is implicit in the term First Nations, as would be obvious to anyone who has a decent command of English.

Not going to bother with all the other straw people created in that rant, not worth my time.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
The point sounded to me, like Frick was saying that because the other tribes would have raped and murdered each others tribe members that just because the white settlers came in and did it instead means it doesn't really matter. We just colonised an island that had rabid inbred tribes in it.

I think most peoples thoughts to what was said, were just like his screen name - frickenel!!
Right Posh, how about some details when you arrived :giggle:
Did you arrive on the 1st Fleet with Arfur Phillips, the 2nd fleet, the 3rd? (I think my forebears were between the 4th and 5th. Wore stripes, but they was framed I tell ya :oops:
Or were you a £10 Pom? (Great value for money)
Id be surprised if you paid your own way out here .

Any fabrication will be accepted :LOL:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Ok, in English, we have the concept of plurals. Plurals of a noun are used to indicate a value more than one.

You will notice that the talk is of First Nations, not First Nation. So, no, it clearly was not a single nation (or even One Nation) of indigenous peoples. This is implicit in the term First Nations, as would be obvious to anyone who has a decent command of English.

Not going to bother with all the other straw people created in that rant, not worth my time.

DS
David, you're so simple.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Right Posh, how about some details when you arrived :giggle:
Did you arrive on the 1st Fleet with Arfur Phillips, the 2nd fleet, the 3rd? (I think my forebears were between the 4th and 5th. Wore stripes, but they was framed I tell ya :oops:
Or were you a £10 Pom? (Great value for money)
Id be surprised if you paid your own way out here .

Any fabrication will be accepted :LOL:

I can make something up if it sounds more up your street, but I'm only 42, 10 GBP pom sounds great but unfortunately I paid a shitload more to move here than that. Only been here 15 years so I'm a relative newbie to this beautiful island but I'm happy to read up on the history of the place.

BTW - no crims in my past (not that I've found yet anyway :) )

• Haha

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sorry I am lost. What’s the argument for 26th January?
That our First Nations people were not a nation and they mistreated each other and were barbaric and the English were nice guys so the indigenous people don’t matter?
So Australia was not Australia until Captain Cook landed?
Have I missed something?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Nice rant!
But could someone not as simple as I explain to Frickers what "first hand" actually means. and explain to me where I said it wasnt written at the time.

You probably could have tried to explain your case without the abuse, but then i guess your post would have been a lot shorter, a lot less amusing, and probably wouldnt have got the thumbs up from the usual suspects.
I probably owe you an appology for going a bit hard Brodders, though i'm pretty sure i can remember you stating that thoe writings weren't "at the time"! I'll trust that you didn't edit your post.

I guess where i'm coming from on this whole issue is how distracted we all are on the root problem, and how little all the appoogies and compensation do for Aboriginal people in need.

How aggrieved could Aboriginal people of today be about stuff that didn't happen to them personally? I didn't do it to them, nor did you, and it didn't happen to them anyway. It happened to their great grand parents, right or wrong.

Giving hand outs and making this section of the community into victims doesn't help them stand on their own two feet and move forward.
I"m trying to get a project up in Mulwala at the moment to employ aboriginal youth as mechanics. It's not my personal project, but one i've suggested to a mechanical firm out that way. It's in it's infancy with fianance for the block of land being organised as i write.

But going back to my original post. It's not like pre white Australia was a paradise. And there are other historians who elude to the same thing, the violence in Aboriginal societies. The fact that we have academics 200 years later trying to re-write this history based on????? is typical of academia and the desire to control narative.

Consider this. The whole of Australia had a population estimated at between 300,000 to 900,000 aboriginals prior to whites arriving. They didn't have natural predators eating them, so something was holding their poplation down.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley

DS
Aah David!

It seems you are to Pluralism as the Count on Seseme Street in to Math.

And like the hand puppet on Seseme St, gesticulating with a hand up it's fundimental orifice, i can only guess that the similarities don't end there.

You even have the letter 'S' after your name 3 times. I guess that makes you a pluralogist which is different to a proctologist, but only slightly in this case.

I must congratulate you on pulling me up on my lack of an 's', though I do suspect that this victory is probably your greatest achievement in life.

It doesn't change the fact that it is a very liberal use of the term 'nation or nations' when referring to Australian Aboriginals. We are talking about a people who didn't have a tribal leader, who moved around in small family 'mobs', that might be loosely linked to other 'mobs' in the immediate area by blood.

You can call that a group of nation's' if you want, but IMO they were more loosely knit nomadic wanderers. No shame in that. If some catastrophic event were to hit mother earth, who'd be more likely to survive?

The nomadic mobs or the urbanised over weight while soft c*cks who think their meat just grows in packets?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How aggrieved could Aboriginal people of today be about stuff that didn't happen to them personally? I didn't do it to them, nor did you, and it didn't happen to them anyway. It happened to their great grand parents, right or wrong.
Not to rehash too much of this debate. but this sentence is wrong. There are still members of the stolen generation around today. They are still people around today who werent paid their wages by state governments. Racism, and government instituted racism did not end 100 years ago.

The project you're involved in, in Mulwala sounds great. I hope it is a success.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Not to rehash too much of this debate. but this sentence is wrong. There are still members of the stolen generation around today. They are still people around today who werent paid their wages by state governments. Racism, and government instituted racism did not end 100 years ago.

The project you're involved in, in Mulwala sounds great. I hope it is a success.
I was talking about attachment to land, not to parents.

Unfortunately i'm no longer involved in that project, very long story!