Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The Victorian LNP are now going to withdraw support for the Victorian treaty.
They want to concentrate on practical measures to improve the lives of indigenous people. The same as the federal LNP said in the Voice campaign.
LOL, what a joke they are. They will all do what Tories always do in relation to indigenous issues …. Sweet *smile* all
Yeah the old Howard 'practical' measures, goes back to 1996. Plays well with the redneck peanut gallery, but the record shows it means do nothing. I suppose its "practical' to do nothing because it gets votes?

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How good was Australia Day? Golf with mates with some great weather loved it.
When you put it like that I can see why some are so adamant Australia Day has to stay Jan 26. I mean it just wouldn't be the same if your golf game was on in Feb or Match say, would it?

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
look I don't care what date its on as long we stop being divided over it over it the younger gen want the change so i guess it will happen sometime ..

Last edited:

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
When you put it like that I can see why some are so adamant Australia Day has to stay Jan 26. I mean it just wouldn't be the same if your golf game was on in Feb or Match say, would it?
l will be playing golf then too. In my opinion, changing the date will just change the name of the day.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What about Fathers Day ?. Is Mothers Day safe ?.
Non chest feeding parents day n Chest feeding parents day. Not sure what they'll call it if you aren't in fact a genetically involved parent though, perhaps just neighbourly minders day.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What about Fathers Day ?. Is Mothers Day safe ?.

Well we did invade Turkey ?.

Ottoman Empire at the time actually, and we lost.

I don' have anything against ANZAC Day per se, but I really do dislike the glorification of war. I am old enough to remember when WWI was not so glorified, not coincidentally that was when there were still vets from that war alive. They would have had a go at all the crap that we get today because they knew WWI was a mess.

Watch a doco on WWI done well before the vets died and you get a far different perspective. There was a very good series produced by the BBC, ABC and CBC (Canada's version) back in the late 60s, it has a very different vibe to what we get today.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Ottoman Empire at the time actually, and we lost.

I don' have anything against ANZAC Day per se, but I really do dislike the glorification of war. I am old enough to remember when WWI was not so glorified, not coincidentally that was when there were still vets from that war alive. They would have had a go at all the crap that we get today because they knew WWI was a mess.

Watch a doco on WWI done well before the vets died and you get a far different perspective. There was a very good series produced by the BBC, ABC and CBC (Canada's version) back in the late 60s, it has a very different vibe to what we get today.

DS

ANZAC day doesn't glorify war and I haven't seen any show, series or anything that glorifies WW1. Everything I've ever seen or read on it has shown how barbaric it was.

ANZAC day as I say doesn't glorify war, what it does do is plant respect in people for those that choose to put their body and life on the line for their country regardless of whether you agree with the reason to go to war or not.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
When even the Aus Financial Review is recommending to change the date, its probably time to change the date

The AFR View
A really inclusive national day
"Any celebration should represent the important elements of this nation: the original inhabitants, the British settlers and the more recent immigrants from all over the globe."

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Missing a lot of nuance here.
I haven’t heard anybody say, or even suggest, we’re a ‘bad country’.

Fantastic country. Wonderful place to live. We all love it and most of us want a day to celebrate it.

But.

It’s a bad date for our national day. That’s all. That’s the argument.

simple but effective way of explaining it. the problem these days is that people try to over complicate everything to muddy the waters. and people are dumb enough to fall for it. the Voice referendum is the perfect example.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
simple but effective way of explaining it. the problem these days is that people try to over complicate everything to muddy the waters. and people are dumb enough to fall for it. the Voice referendum is the perfect example.
Yeh, its the Libs way. Forget about stayng on point. Just deflect and create fear and confusion. Let the loudest supporters and latent racists do the rest.

Those that shout the loudest listen the least. My family is full of them. The town I grew up in is full of them. Posting Aust flags on their facebook as if their is some threat to their way of life by changing the date. Posting pictures of Cook saying they are proud he came here. None of them think about what that date means to indigenous people. Aust history started that day for them. And even then they are not interested in listening to the history from that date from the perspective of indigenous peoples.

Ultimately they simply don't care.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Yeh, its the Libs way. Forget about stayng on point. Just deflect and create fear and confusion. Let the loudest supporters and latent racists do the rest.

Those that shout the loudest listen the least. My family is full of them. The town I grew up in is full of them. Posting Aust flags on their facebook as if their is some threat to their way of life by changing the date. Posting pictures of Cook saying they are proud he came here. None of them think about what that date means to indigenous people. Aust history started that day for them. And even then they are not interested in listening to the history from that date from the perspective of indigenous peoples.

Ultimately they simply don't care.
They care as they look after No 1 first .

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
look I don't care what date its on as long we stop being divided over it over it the younger gen want the change so i guess it will happen sometime ..

Easy fix is to revert to the Australia day weekend last weekend in January

Or if we have to name a date then make it the 25th of January