Back to the Number 17 Guernsey... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back to the Number 17 Guernsey...

Sorry about starting a new topic, but it just took me too long to find the old one again. For all those unsure, this is a continuation of the topic about whether or not the number 17 guernsey should be retired indefinitely, or not.

I think I have a solution that would satisfy most, and one that has not yet been mentioned. Jack Dyer was certainly a MAJOR part of the club, and as some say, he 'WAS' the Richmond Football Club.

I think a Number 17 guernsey should be presented as a sign of respect and honour to certain players (ie, perhaps to players receiving the Jack Dyer Medal, or maybe to players being inducted as RFC Immortals). The jumper could be presented in a manner likening them to the Great Jack Dyer, something which would be incredibly humbling and overwhelming for any player I'm sure.

On-field, the number would be retired, but (in the case of the B&F being presented with it each year) it would pop it's head up each year to say to the respective player 'You've played like a true Tiger, you've played like Jack.' In this way, Dyer would be remembered forever, as would the number 17, and it would always be presented to a worthy recipient. Perhaps not as great as Jack Dyer, but then again, who is...

Personally, I think this would do justice to the great number 17, while still remembering the great man.

Thanks

TS.