Barassi Cup? (poll) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Barassi Cup? (poll)

Should the premiership Cup be named after Ron Barassi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yes. Sad that we have to wait for someone to die for this to happen. Barass was a real VFL/AFL legend and deserves it.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not fussed to be honest.

But if they did want to name it then RDB is about as Esteemed as there has ever been in the game of VFL/AFL

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
No major issues but they need to leave some trophies and awards unnamed so deserving present and future immortals of the game get their chance.

Or start co-naming medals. Martin Smith, or Smith Martin could work for the Norm Smith.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Should the premiership Cup be named after recently departed footy legend Ron Barassi?

If yes why?

If No why?
Yes. No brainer.
Biggest name in Aussie rules since the Second World War. Involved in flags with 3 clubs. Legends at 3 clubs ( possibly 4 as I’m not sure about Sydney) as well as the AFL.
In the AFL Team of the Century
Legend in the Sports Australia Hall of Fame
Promoter of a national league. I read he predicted in the 70’s that he would coach a team in Sydney before any interstate team was thought of

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yes, be good for it to have a name like that, and Ron is a very fitting person for it. Not dissimilar to the Vince Lombardi trophy in the NFL.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Personally I think the game is bigger than individuals no matter how great their contribution so it's a no from me despite him being as big a name in the game's history as any.

Reactions: 10 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Personally I think the game is bigger than individuals no matter how great their contribution so it's a no from me despite him being as big a name in the game's history as any.
Agree with this.
I've no problem with Barassi but I believe there are many hands contributing to our game. Lets keep the Cup as a broad reflection of footy, not a specific individual.
The Brownlow an example of when naming goes wrong!

The Lombardi cup is a good trophy name, but we dont need to copy.
The Davis Cup is named after a player in the first year who bought the original trophy!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
On reflection I would have to say no. The cup has been around since the 1950s and is just called the Premiership Cup. I wasn't actually rapt when they told clubs they could get cups for earlier premierships, and then had to pay for them. This is Australian Football, and while I like that we do have a cup now, the tradition is that we play for flags, which go right back to before the VFL and as far as I know they have these in the WAFL, SANFL etc along with local leagues.

If they are to name the cup after one person, given Jock McHale and Norm Smith already have their names on medals, then Ron Barassi would be appropriate. But I would say it is not necessary.

DS

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Keep it as it is. As Bones17 said, It's a national comp and other player/coaches from other leagues would have as much naming rights as Barassi.

Jock McHale, Norm Smith and Barassi all played/coached in 10 premierships and all have grand final medals named after them - Premiership Coach, Best on Ground in Premiership, Premiership Captain respectively

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
No, because the game is definitely bigger than one person, no matter how important that person is in the games history.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If the people who are saying NO also think we should remove the names from medals named after Norm Smith, John Coleman, Jack Dyer, Ian Stewart, Charles Brownlow etc be nameless medals?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If the people who are saying NO also think we should remove the names from medals named after Norm Smith, John Coleman, Jack Dyer, Ian Stewart, Charles Brownlow etc be nameless medals?
Personally I think individual medals, especially those at clubs, are a little different.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Ron is an enormous figure - but the 'Barassi Cup' has a strange ring ... it doesn't sound right ...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes. I've never really understood why they were. Would prefer AFL Best & fairest, AFLPA, Coaches Award, Best player in an AFL Grand Final, Richmond Best & Fairest etc.
Names of individuals mean little to future generations & the game is bigger than individuals. Wouldn't be popular but sure get rid of those names.:cool:

eg The Norm Smith Medal seems silly for the best player in a Grand Final as does the Brownlow. A lot of those names are leftover from the Victorian football league & don't truly reflect a National competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users