Ben’s back! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben’s back!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ben’s back!
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:16:36 AM Thu 24 April, 2003

The strong Richmond key defender lined up for the Coburg Tigers reserves last Saturday, two days short of exactly one year since he ruptured the anterior cruciate in his knee during the clash with Fremantle at Subiaco.

Although admitting to some apprehension before his comeback match, Holland was delighted to be back in action.

“It was a little bit nerve-wracking to start off with,” he said.

“But then, just to get out there on the ground, have a run around, smell the grass and all that sort of stuff and get a bit of a touch early, was fantastic. Then, all I thought about was to just try and get a kick.

“I had a good first quarter even though I was running around like a headless chook trying to get the ball. Luckily, the ball sort of rolled my way a bit in the first quarter. I was out of it a little bit in the second and third quarters, but still got a few kicks playing at centre half-back.

“Then I had the opposition’s forward pocket come and run with me as well. So, I had two opponents running around with me, which was pretty unusual . . . but it was good fun.

“In the last quarter I wanted to go up and have a few marks, so I went up forward for about five minutes, then off the ground. So I got a good three and a bit quarters under my belt.”

Holland said he pulled up well after the match and there were no problems with the knee that required reconstructive surgery following the match against the Dockers a year ago.

“The body actually felt really good after the game, and then slowly got a bit sore over the next day or so – just general tightness, which has got to be expected after 12 months of not playing,” he said.

So, what’s the plan now for big ‘Dutchy’ . . ?

“It’s just a matter of getting a few more of those games under your belt, getting a few more tackles and bumps, twists and turns and playing at the next level which, hopefully, will be Coburg seniors and then into the Richmond side,” he said.

“Going along and watching the boys playing such good footy, you really want to get out there and be part of the team again.”