BEST GAMES I"VE SEEN! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

BEST GAMES I"VE SEEN!

As suggested, how about a more positive list of games, which is a list i've already compiled! Unfortunately, my birth year of 1981 doesn't bode well for the ultimate success, however...

1989- the Under 19's grand final against North at Waverley Park. 10,000 there, and the only time I've seen Richmond hold up a cup in the flesh, although the 1998 reserves premiership on the G sure looked nice!

But seriously...

1997, R.22 v Carlton @ PP
As mentioned and discussed elswhere on this forum, this, and this sounds ridiculous, holds a more memorable place in my heart than the 2001 semi-final win against Carlton.

2001, 2nd Semi v Carlton @ MCG
But it was a bloody good day! Perhaps, being the first match after 9/11 everyone was a bit edgy, i don't know. But standing at the punt road end, this was a tough, no frills, absolutely none, final. Ray Hall nearly killed some Blue with a head high bump, Kouta did his knee, the Duck did his shoulder, and Rory Hilton kicked the sealer! If you want to read an interesting account of this match, Martin Flanigan has written about his experience standing with the grog squad that day in his book "The game in time of war." It's the first chapter

1995, 2nd Semi v Essendon @ MCG
Probably the best day in my "football" life! My dad's pretty reserved, but he was jumping in the air and giving hi-5's! Matty Knights, Scotty Turner, Daffy and Naish in the 3rd!!! GREAT day!

2001- v Collingwood @ MCG
I remember Broder's kicking 2 last quarter goals to seal tight match! Have watched it since, and not a brilliant match, and the coverage doesn't capture the atmosphere at the ground. It was the most tense crowd I'd experienced down the punt road end, and i remember eddie mcguire, red as a beetroot, walking past us after the match and copping it. Brilliant!

1990- v Carlton @ MCG
Clokey's 300th!!! On the way in, i remember my dad telling me that Carlton was probably gonna win, you know, don't get your hopes up. The cheer squad was on the wing in the old southern stand, and with Knights, Trent Nicholls, Mitchell Hogg and Honeybun starring, we toppled the Blues! Still got the video, when the team goes over to acknowledge cheersquad after match, still gives me chills!!!

2008- v's Brisbane @ Docklands
It was my birthday, and it was a ridiculous match with millions of momentum swings. But the noise when Joel kicked the winner was brilliant. Kept fighting that night.

1991 v's Collingwood @ MCG
Mothers Day Massacre! Was at my nana's and pa's for mothers day thing, and my family is Richmond, but dad's sister married into Collingwood, so it was a brilliant day for me! HOGGY!! John Mrakov! Nana accidently taped over match years later, but i see that it's one of few richmond games from the era on name-a-game, so might have to have a look! But beating the reigning premiers was something!

1990- v's Geelong @ KP
Sure, Ablett was out, but we still beat em! Michael Mitchell played a great game, Knights, Tim Powell, Hoggy and the Ryans all contributed, and Clokey played a great match! Geelong kicked 20-odd points so we were lucky, but they were last years grand finalists, and we NEVER beat them back then! Do still have on video!

1995 - v's West Coast @ PP
This was a great day at the footy. There was only 16,000 or so of us there, and we got wet, but, again, reigning premiers, 10goals+! Stuey Maxfield kicked a pearler from the boundry, and we were without Richo and Benny, and possibly a few others. Nathan Bower started his run of beating Peter Matera in this match, lasted until 1998 i think!

There's more . . . but i should stop stealing other peoples thunder, good days have been few and far between in my lifetime!

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
1982 against Essendon still rates as one of my favs.

In the Cheer squad area.

90k I think turned up and we kicked 10 goals in the last quarter.

'97 last game against the Blooz.

Had a big start that day with a belly full of beer was on the half forward flank on the social club side.
When we won my mates and I jumped over the Bloos supporters and the fence and danced on the ground with a few Richmond officials lol.
It was a funny day.

'95 when we beat West Coast for the first time in ten years.
Was at Princes Park.I met Dale"flea"Weightman in the outer that day.
Only 17k turned up but it sounded like 70k as Dale said in the media after.
I know I lost it a few times hehe.

'95 second semi always holds a place in Tiger hearts and the draw as well.Magnificent games both of them.
I actually had to leave when Essendon put the goal through to draw it.I heard the roar in the carpark hoping it was us but alas it wasn't.

I just knew even though we were down at half time in the 2nd semi,we would come out firing and that we did.Northey had a way with his players and I know most of us loved him.Was a sad day when I heard on the radio he was leaving.

You know what, this year had some lows,going to Skilled Stadium and seeing us get carved up by Geelong but the Sydney and Freo wins this year were amongst my greatest highlights as a Richmond supporter and I forgot Jacks 10 against West Coast..Was lucky to see Richoman do it too against the Doggies. Didn't get to the interstate games but decided to watch the Port win at the London Tavern so I could celebrate the win with fellow Tigers. I was at a party in Werribee when we played the Lions but snuck out(party had yawn Blue game on and I thought to myself "stuff this" and walked a few k just to find a pub with it on.Bloody Richmond do that to me. ;D Bloody froze to death that night and got lost but I still saw Richmond win in the end.

Missed a few especially the wins a few years a go but I've never had a very good memory.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
The Monday night game against the Kangaroos in 1995, where we kicked about 9 goals in the first quarter was awesome. I reckon that was the game where I finally believed we could match it with the big guns. Like others, the eagles game at PP was great too, with Stuart Edwards kicking goals in richo's absence.

In 1996 we beat Geelong by 10 goals at the MCG, which was the first time we had beaten them in years. They regularly pantsed us, but to knock them off so convincingly was very sweet.

The Bulldogs game at the dome in 2001 was a cracker. The game ebbed and flowed and we got over the line at the death, despite Nathan Brown being molested by Bourke I think it was (could have been Gaspar) with about 20 seconds to go. With the build up to that game given the Libba/Knights incident earlier in the year, that was a beauty.

Going back a bit further, beating Carlton in 1988, after we had been trounced by the Bears the week before was one of the biggest upsets of the season. I was in total disbelief. The end to the 1988 season was really positive, but unfortunately we didn't go on with it in 1989.

One of my first memories of the football was Richmond v Hawthorn at Princes Park in 1985. A high scoring match against the powerful Hawks which we won by about 8 goals...again, got the supporters thinking that good times were ahead, only for the traditional Richmond mid season slump.

Plenty more I am sure, but they are some off the top of my head.

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
1995 Final against the Bombers.

My Essendon mate, threw a few punches in my arm in the first half, gloating all the way.

At the end his arm was a lot sorer then mine was.

I will never forget that game.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Punxsutawney Phil said:
One of my first memories of the football was Richmond v Hawthorn at Princes Park in 1985. A high scoring match against the powerful Hawks which we won by about 8 goals...again, got the supporters thinking that good times were ahead, only for the traditional Richmond mid season slump.

Didn't Roach kick 11 goals in that game?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
1980 Grand Final. I can still vividly see KB making the Pies defenders look like witches hats.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
From memory, he kicked 8 goals later that season against the Pies.

That, plus the 8 next year at Geelong, were in losing sides. Still managed a few 7's against Fitzroy. Years later, Leon Wiegard commented on the radio that Roach always seemed to play well against them; sounded almost like a complaint, as if Roach was a dud.

His free kick stats seem amazing, considering he had full backs like 'Tilt' Carter, Rick Kennedy and Malarkey scragging him. His only year in the black was 1982, when he played in the ruck. Shows how reluctant umpires were to pay a free in front of goal, unlike today...

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Michael_Roach.html

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
That, plus the 8 next year at Geelong, were in losing sides. Still managed a few 7's against Fitzroy. Years later, Leon Wiegard commented on the radio that Roach always seemed to play well against them; sounded almost like a complaint, as if Roach was a dud.

His free kick stats seem amazing, considering he had full backs like 'Tilt' Carter, Rick Kennedy and Malarkey scragging him. His only year in the black was 1982, when he played in the ruck. Shows how reluctant umpires were to pay a free in front of goal, unlike today...

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Michael_Roach.html

Out of interest L2R2R, didn't Roachy kick a goal with his last kick in league football?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
Out of interest L2R2R, didn't Roachy kick a goal with his last kick in league football?

All I remember from that night was Barry Young dodging and weaving before kicking a great goal to the Wellington Road end in the #53 guernsey, very bleak period for the club. Roach literally hobbled to the line to get to 200...going by the stats sheet, it was a one in three chance!

Punxsutawney Phil

Apr 2, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
All I remember from that night was Barry Young dodging and weaving before kicking a great goal to the Wellington Road end in the #53 guernsey, very bleak period for the club. Roach literally hobbled to the line to get to 200...going by the stats sheet, it was a one in three chance!

Was sad to see his career end that way. Unfortunately after BT left and he had the goalsquare to himself, he was never able to play a full season. Would likely have kicked 100 in 1985 if he had have played every game, and from then on was severely hampered.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
smasha said:
1982 against Essendon still rates as one of my favs.

Same here.

April (Easter) 1982. 60,000+ crowd.

Nice warm day, 15 year old kid standing (getting crushed ;D) in a packed crowd of Tiger ferals belting out the chant.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
TigerForce said:
Same here.

April (Easter) 1982. 60,000+ crowd.

Nice warm day, 15 year old kid standing (getting crushed ;D) in a packed crowd of Tiger ferals belting out the chant.
90'000 people there that day. I think Rob Wiley kicked 7 goals. :)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Pickers35 said:

You're right Pickers. I mixed up the 60K crowd with the 60 point win we had.

It was a great close game until the last quarter when we ran the Bummers ragged and all Richmond supporters went feral. Stuck in a big crowd of big blokes singing loud and breaking the decibels, I went home with my mate (on the blue train ;D) with my ears ringing.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Pickers35 said:
I was there as well. What a great player Rob "Radar "Wiley was. When he got the ball anywhere from around 40 metres out you knew it was a goal coming .

There was a game in May 1980 against Carlton as the G . Massive crowd and we smashed them . KB kicked 7 and Roach got plenty as well. That was the week after we obliterated Footscray at Western Oval and Roach kicked plenty . Can't remember how many ,10 or 12 ?

For a rich vein of form you can't beat the finals series in 1980 . Those 3 weeks were heaven when we beat Geelong, Carltank and then the Scum in the GF . Our form was so good there was no way we would get beaten . KB kicked 21 goals I think in that run . I remember being concerned after the last round because we lost badly to South melbourne who were no good and lost top spot and the double chance after being there all year . Final 5 in those days with the top team having the first week off.

Punxsutawney Phil

Apr 2, 2007
TigerForce said:
You're right Pickers. I mixed up the 60K crowd with the 60 point win we had.

It was a great close game until the last quarter when we ran the Bummers ragged and all Richmond supporters went feral. Stuck in a big crowd of big blokes singing loud and breaking the decibels, I went home with my mate (on the blue train ;D) with my ears ringing.

I didn't go to that game, but had the fortune to attend Windy Hill in 1983 and watch Dan Foley kick 5 as we beat Essendon by about 75 points. My memory of the game is hazy, but stood behind the goals at the school end of the ground as we obliterated them.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Punxsutawney Phil said:
I didn't go to that game, but had the fortune to attend Windy Hill in 1983 and watch Dan Foley kick 5 as we beat Essendon by about 75 points. My memory of the game is hazy, but stood behind the goals at the school end of the ground as we obliterated them.
I remember that game now you mention it. We all thought we had found a gun CHF in Foley to replace Cloke who had defected to the scum at the end of 82. He played just 13 games over 3 years and kicked 9 goals in total .