Billions of litres flow in north-south pipeline (H/S site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Billions of litres flow in north-south pipeline (H/S site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The sell, starting with Bracks and taken over by Brumby, was that the only water to go through the N/S pipeline to Melbourne was water saved by irrigation upgrades. Instead they are pilfering water from a dust bowl. Many people up here have suffered drought for years and had very restricted water allocations while still paying top $$ for water they didn't receive. Towns like Bonnie Doon which are reliant on water in Eildon Weir have been high and dry for years. No water in sight. Bores have dried up. Orchards have been bulldozed, lives taken, farms lost. Instead of light at the end of the tunnel all they see is their precious water headed to Melbourne to relieve water restrictions. Obviously their country cousins don't count for enough votes at election time. While you flush our water down your dunny Brumby spare a thought for those in the dust bowl who once produced the food for our country. :mad:

Billions of litres flow in north-south pipeline

BILLIONS of litres of water are already being pumped down the controversial north-south pipeline while debate continues over whether it is needed.

Testing of the pipeline began late last month and about five billion litres of water - or five days' supply for Melbourne - will be flushed through to Sugarloaf Reservoir by the end of the month.

While people in the state's north continue to rail against the use of water from their catchments, Water Minister Tim Holding has guaranteed the pipeline will be used regardless of storage levels.

Melbourne's dams now contain 678 billion litres, and the city uses almost one billion litres a day on average. Even with minimal rainfall, it is enough to survive until the Wonthaggi desalination plant is online.

But Mr Holding hit out at claims the pipeline would not be needed.

"I guarantee that the pipeline will be turned on, and water will flow to Melbourne as a consequence, as it should," he said.

"Melburnians have paid through higher water bills for that pipeline, and they have paid $300 million through the cost of stage one of the northern Victoria irrigation renewal project."

Mr Holding said Melburnians deserved to have water restrictions eased, but would not say whether extra water provided through the pipeline would drag Melbourne back from Stage 3A to Stage 3 or Stage 2.

Opposition leader Ted Baillieu said the pipeline should not have been built and was a "white elephant".

"(It cost) $750 million and will serve no useful purpose for Melbourne," he said.

Plug the Pipe spokeswoman Jan Beer called on the State Government to release a report on water savings that were supposed to have come from irrigation upgrades in the state's north.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I still think Baillieau is as soft as butter but bring on the election now instead of waiting another 10 months.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
TigerForce said:
I still think Baillieau is as soft as butter

No doubt about it. He can make token whispers now but the opposition didn't do anything to plug the pipeline when it counted.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
No doubt about it. He can make token whispers now but the opposition didn't do anything to plug the pipeline when it counted.

A bit off topic, but it angers me on how Qld dams rose from about 29% to 70% in 12 months and us Vics are the lowest of all with 37%.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Not sure how many realise this but the flow can go the other way as well.Once the de-sal is up and running,the flow will be reversed.I,m sure country folk have heard of the saying,"Short term pain for long term gain"

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
There is an election this year. Show your anger at the ballot box.

Interesting to note that Kennett lost the '99 election because of a rural backlash...

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Once the de-sal is up and running,the flow will be reversed

I haven't heard that Johnno and can't find details in a search. Do you have any relevant links where I can read information about intentions to reverse the flow?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
The water crisis is one affecting all people around the world, not only Australia.

For too long, mankind has relied on artesian water for its needs.
The water from the various artesian basins have not been replaced and, as a consequences, the level of artesian water has dropped dramatically.
Atop of that is declining water reserves from catchments and reservoirs.

Mathus has come back to haunt us big time.

Until we correctly build water creation & storage facilities, at least here in Australia, we will be at the mercy of irrational polotical decisions. Australia is a democracy, democracy is rule by the majority, the majority live in cities, ergo preservation of the cities comes first.
It may not be natural justice, but it is law, regardless of irrationality.

Let's just hope that the water desalination plant is actually completed at the end of next year and not just another Labour fib, like the improvements in the public transport system.

As for the Liberals. Must admit that I raised the issue of water decline in a Liberal conference in 2005. They have absolutely NO idea about the decline and subsequent problems in water storages in Australia, let alone the rest of the world. To the Liberals, it is just a part of God's natural cycle. (God help us!)
To them. build another dam is the only solution.
How they are actually going to fill the new dam with water, they haven't worked out yet. But I'm sure they honestly believe that God will provide.

Hmmm! Politics!

PS. An excellent book that I've read, on the evolution of our earth, global & urban warming & the water catastrophe is
A Voyage Of Discovery, by Lance Endersbee, a Melbournian and former Dean of Engineering at Monash University.

http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&q=A+Voyage+Of+Discovery%2C+by+Lance+Endersbee&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
To them. build another dam is the only solution.
How they are actually going to fill the new dam with water, they haven't worked out yet. But I'm sure they honestly believe that God will provide.

Hmmm! Politics!

Build a city dam / reservoir in that wasted space between Lulie street, Abbot street, Bath street, and Turner street.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
rosy23 said:
I haven't heard that Johnno and can't find details in a search. Do you have any relevant links where I can read information about intentions to reverse the flow?
Im only going on logic Rosella.Why wouldn,t they reverse the flow once the De-sal is up and running[Not straight away],They will turn off the North-south flow then eventually Reverse it,then keep it at a level where Water restrictions are a thing of the past.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Im only going on logic Rosella.Why wouldn,t they reverse the flow once the De-sal is up and running[Not straight away],They will turn off the North-south flow then eventually Reverse it,then keep it at a level where Water restrictions are a thing of the past.

Logic and government decisions don't necessarily go hand in hand Johnno. :hihi

Talk here is they are one way pumps but I can't find any concrete info either way.  I've contacted Brumby, Holding and Baillieu to see if they can provide any facts on the matter and whether there is any policy to reverse the flow.

Edit-I've gotta admit I'd find it a bit strange if there were intentions to reverse the flow but that info isn't used to appease those affected by the pipeline.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
rosy23 said:
Logic and government decisions don't necessarily go hand in hand Johnno. :hihi
So true Rosella ;D

rosy23 said:
Talk here is they are one way pumps but I can't find any concrete info either way. I've contacted Brumby, Holding and Baillieu to see if they can provide any facts on the matter and whether there is any policy to reverse the flow.
Must admit i heard that the pumps can be reversed is of 2nd hand info and nothing official,However using that logic angle again ;D,It would be political suicide if it isn,t the case.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
heard a passing reference on the radio today that the pipe can be reversed if the pumps are modified. Wasn't paying attention though, so no idea on cost.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Holding was on radio today suggesting the water-flow could be reversed.

They then had an expert on who refuted that saying at the moment they only had the pumps and infra-structure at the north end. To pump it the other way they had to put the pumps and infra-structure at the south end.

Time to do it? 18 months at least

Cost? Equal to what they have spent so far!

The decision on Holding? He either didn't know, or was being VERY dis-ingenuous

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Merveille said:
They then had an expert on who refuted that saying at the moment they only had the pumps and infra-structure at the north end. To pump it the other way they had to put the pumps and infra-structure at the south end.

They purchased a farm for millions of dollars to put the pumping station in at Yea. It's funny driving around the road to the station. There are signs warning to be careful..there's a white elephant on the road ahead.

My information from someone involved in the technical aspect of the pipeline is similar to what Merveille posted. The pipeline has been built as a one-way project with no capacity, or intention, to reverse the flow. I haven't heard back from the pollies I contacted yet but will post their comments when I do.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Kinda on topic.

Did anyone else see the ABC doco the other night documenting the flood of Lake Eyre. A once in a generation event. It was famtastic.

Here it is.Well worth a watch.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/2779495

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
this isnt my usual labor bashing rhetoric ,,,,,BUT no rosy the flow CANNOT be reversed.. the SUPER PIPE can but not the nth sth'''' 1st hand info.. bracks/brumby and the general media TOGETHER wont and will not tell the whole story... victorians esp the country are being screwed by SPIN and the sad fact is MOST SWALLOW IT... sad times we live in ... rosy the FLOW CANNOT BE REVERSED...