Blumfield to face court Feb 13. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blumfield to face court Feb 13.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tiger's swan dive
03 January 2003
Herald Sun
By ELISSA HUNT

PREMIERSHIP AFL player and new Tiger Justin Blumfield has been charged over a drunken escapade.

The former Essendon player was arrested at the Swan Hotel in Richmond on December 7, allegedly after spending the day at a Healesville picnic race meeting.

Richmond police have charged Blumfield with being drunk in a public place. Tigers officials told the Herald Sun last month they would take no further action against Blumfield, saying he had been punished enough by a public airing of the embarrassing incident.

"We are disappointed but there was no activity other than he drank too much in a public place," Richmond football director Greg Miller said then.

The talented midfielder, originally from Tuggeranong in the ACT, made his senior debut for the Bombers in 1996. He was among Essendon's best in their 2000 premiership side and played more than 100 games for the Bombers.

But after an injury-interrupted 2002 season he was swapped to Richmond. Blumfield, 25, is due to face Melbourne Magistrates' Court on February 13.

The charge comes a year after another young Tiger was arrested over an alcohol-fuelled incident. Andrew Mills was celebrating New Years' Eve with his girlfriend and friends at Queenscliff when a scuffle broke out.

Mills later pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and offensive behaviour. He was given a good behaviour bond without conviction.

A

admin

It will be interesting to see how the punishment for "a drunken escapade" compares to Millsy's charge of "assaulting a police officer and offensive behaviour".
I think Blumfield is paying the price of being an AFL footballer.
Thousands of other people have a couple too many drinks and it isn't front page news.
I know of 2 of our most senior players who were in a similar condition recently too, ha.
It's the off season, surely they can relax a bit without copping all the attention.
P.S. What exactly is a drunken escapade anyway? The mind boggles. ;D