Board Candidates should Get Members Lists | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Board Candidates should Get Members Lists

rampagingtiger

I'm a llama!
Nov 2, 2003
IMHO the club is duty bound to give each candidate contesting the board election a copy of the membership list including address and phone number. Its outrageous that current members of the board may have access to this info and not the other contesting candidates. Richmond members deserve a proper election process not one which has been stymied in order to maintain the status quo.

Lets make change- NOW. chuck out the incumbents and lets put in some new blood!

bg25

God must love stupid people, he made so many!
Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure I want my name and address just handed to anyone who nominates.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
At one election years ago we got mailouts from all the contenders but I think they may have been sent out by the election scrutineers that are used to administer the campaign. Ifeel the same as BG25 in regard to candidates getting my personal details it, shouldn't happen.

rampagingtiger

I'm a llama!
Nov 2, 2003
well i hope i (or any other richmond members i know)dont get any calls from any of the incumbents during the elections if its illegal coz Ill be reporting it to the authorities. Whats fair for one is fair for all. They all should get the lists or no one should get it.

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
It's not illegal GCT. If anyone wants to get the name and address of anyone else over the age of 18, they simply need to look up the electoral roll at any Post Office. Phone numbers are a different matter (most of them are in the phone book ;)). But mailing addresses are readily available.

If there is an alection, it will probably be a case of the Returning Officer (KPMG or PWC or someone similar) inviting candidates to submit election material and then mailing it out to all members, without the candidates themselves getting the the actual list.

But it would be completely improper for one group of candidates (eg. the incumbents) to get a list and not all candidates.

RFC4eva

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2003
Vic
I don't want just any candidate getting access to my contact details.

If anyone is fairdinkum about getting a seat on the board then they'll have to conduct well organised campaign and meetings to get member's votes.

How they go about it could be a good indicator as to what they would bring to the club.

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
RFC4eva said:
I don't want just any candidate getting access to my contact details.

If anyone is fairdinkum about getting a seat on the board then they'll have to conduct well organised campaign and meetings to get member's votes.

How they go about it could be a good indicator as to what they would bring to the club.

How do you propose they conduct well organised meetings if they don't know where to send the invitations RFC4eva?

Yes, I know they could advertise on PRE, but what about those members who don't have internet access, surely they're equally entitled to know what each candidate stands for.

RFC4eva

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2003
Vic
newspaper, radio, word of mouth etc.

For example, Collingwood have a notice in the Hun for their general meeting, and notice of election.

Surely it wouldn't take big bucks to put a small notice in a few local papers? Even if only a few people noticed, news would get around quickly through message boards, and word of mouth!!

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
I understand your concerns RFC4eva, but that Collingwood ad you refer to was placed by the club, not by an individual candidate. I suspect the CFC articles require them to place a public notice advising of the time and place of the AGM etc. Richmond will be required to do the same. BTW that ad would have cost several thousand dollars. Radio would be even more expensive.

Not all potential candidates will have the money to run a full blown media campaign and I as a member want to know what each of them stands for.

Letting each candidate send one or two pieces of mail to each member seems the most logical solution (even if the mailing list is held by an independent person not associated with the current board or any candidate).

Just as every member has a democratic right to vote and stand for election, every member also has a democratic right to throw any election campaign material in the (recycle) bin.

But I agree, it's going to be hard to please everyone and make it completely fair and above board.

GoldCoastTiger

Where do we go from here?
Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast
Anyone who pays $2.93 p/m for their silent Ph Number shouldnt find there Ph Number on anyobnes list that they havent given it too.. If it was found RFC was giving out unlisted Ph Numbers.. they would be eligible for massive fines..

Agreed DCB, its not hard to find someones address, but you may be suprised to learn how many people do actually have unlisted numbers

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
That's what I'm saying GCT - phone numbers are better protected than actual addresses (which is a bit weird when you think about it). But when it comes to elections of any variety most candidates want a mailing list (far easier to tell people what you stand for than have to explain yourself in an actual dialogue).

If there is an election, I just hope people vote and are given an opportunity to know what they are voting for.

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
Maybe PRE should host a candidates forum (Sorry, RFC4eva - just contradicted myself :-\) as one means of candidates letting know what they stand for and more importantly what they CAN deliver.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've posted elsewhere that any candidates are welcome to discuss their ideas on here. We'd be happy to make a new board for it if they wanted one too. It could even be read only if desired.

This site gets a large amount of individuals accessing it each day, and of course a lot check in several times.
It's just one way of getting information across to the members.

I still hope someone like Caro or Benny nominate too.

Maybe we should do a poll then mass e-mail the leading person to let them know how welcomed they'd be. ;D

RFC4eva

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2003
Vic
DC8 said:
Maybe PRE should host a candidates forum (Sorry, RFC4eva - just contradicted myself :-\) as one means of candidates letting know what they stand for and more importantly what they CAN deliver.

Tis OK DC8 ;). It's not easy to figure out a way for candidates to be heard by all members without privacy breaches, huge expenses etc.

If we keep brainstorming suggestions on here, perhaps it will give potential candidates some constructive ideas ;D