Brad Scott | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brad Scott

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Interesting. Had on 3AW in the car on the way to the shops. They were discussing the bye and how it will probably revert back to being pre-finals next year. Caro said the afl will justify it as being an integrity issue, which was the reason it was brought in in the first place. A certain coach at the time manipulated his team in order to gain an unfair advantage. He made a mockery of the “integrity “ of the competition by “resting” half his team.
How do the afl punish this cheat? By putting him a high position within the organization. One where integrity is of vital importance, not only in reality but also the perception of it

Reactions: 6 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The part I don't understand is why people think he is a bust before he even starts?

He would seem to be a perfect fit for a role like this and have every chance of success.
As I said earlier, he is a perfect fit from an AFL perspective, in with the boys club and a sense of entitlement and ego the size of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

As Mr B said, they do it arse about. If best practice corporate governance was a priority for the AFL, its pretty safe to say it isn't, they would appoint someone with a proven track record in law and governance first and footy second. But the AFL, first and foremost want someone who they can easily control and won't rock the boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Interesting. Had on 3AW in the car on the way to the shops. They were discussing the bye and how it will probably revert back to being pre-finals next year. Caro said the afl will justify it as being an integrity issue, which was the reason it was brought in in the first place. A certain coach at the time manipulated his team in order to gain an unfair advantage. He made a mockery of the “integrity “ of the competition by “resting” half his team.
How do the afl punish this cheat? By putting him a high position within the organization. One where integrity is of vital importance, not only in reality but also the perception of it
Scott was the final straw, but Lyon had been doing it with the final round for a couple of years prior. I think the bye was going to be introduced anyway.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Damn I'm with TBR again, I actually think Brad might be good in the role.

He is actually an ex-coach and gets the frustration of the inconsistency in adjudication and that the rules need to be stable so that teams can build and not just react. Yeah whilst he will talk to his brother, he will want to be seen to be different/separate from him.

Yeah I accept we're burned and scarred and yes SHocking was a nightmare but this might be a step in the right direction so am prepared to give it a chance,

But that doesn't excuse it still just being a boys club selection.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I would have thought the best person for that role would be first and foremost a knowledgeable footy person because they make the key decisions that impact the game.
Like SHocking? Yeah he did a bang up job this year. Stand rule is a disgrace, might as well implement netball rules. Full backs can run almost to the 50 before kicking it. He turned the game into a farce; horrible to watch.

Yet Brad Scott thinks he did a great job and has no intention of changing any of the stupid rules recently implemented. Said that everyone would agree the level of footy was exceptional this year. That last part is the greatest load of crap uttered by a football official this year; fair achievement.

So SHocking spends the year stuffing the game theme heads to run the Cats. He’s replaced by the Cats coach’s twin brother. Staggering state of affairs. And people reckon Eddie McGuire had a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The might be identical twins but they're also pretty much opposites. Doubt Brad will be doing Chris many favours.
Ya think? Reckon Brad was as a big a cokhead as Chris when he was coaching the Roos. Had the same salty demeanour.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I saw an interview during the week with Rob Sitch and he said he talks to mates who support other clubs and they say they are not enjoying watching the game all that much and he says are you kidding, it's fantastic.

It's a very subjective opinion I think. I wonder how many of us thought the game was crap in 17, 19 and 20?
A) he’s a comedian so he’s probably having a laugh:) &
B) I’m pretty sure he’s a Melbourne supporter so he would think watching the game this year is fantastic

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
A) he’s a comedian so he’s probably having a laugh:) &
B) I’m pretty sure he’s a Melbourne supporter so he would think watching the game this year is fantastic
He is a Melbourne supporter and i've been watching the game long enough to know when it's turned backwards and looking pox, and the gqame has gone backwards and is pox right now.

The only reason you had pox games in the past few yerars pre 2021, was because teams were flooding back to counter our chaotic forward ball movement. The GF against the cats was the final nail in the coffin of teams trying to hold possession to take our pressure off them. It was obvious teams had to adapt to our style or be also rans, but then along came Hocking!

Instead of teams moulding their game plan around pressure and fast ball movement, we have an environment where it's benificial to fold back and park the bus!

Anyone who doubts this rule was brought in for the simple reason that Geelong couldn't get past the Tiges is living in lala land.

What do you havew a rules committee for, if you simply bypass it to torpedo one team, your ex team can't defeat

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Very well said; top post. (y)

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Like SHocking? Yeah he did a bang up job this year. Stand rule is a disgrace, might as well implement netball rules. Full backs can run almost to the 50 before kicking it. He turned the game into a farce; horrible to watch.

Yet Brad Scott thinks he did a great job and has no intention of changing any of the stupid rules recently implemented. Said that everyone would agree the level of footy was exceptional this year. That last part is the greatest load of crap uttered by a football official this year; fair achievement.

So SHocking spends the year stuffing the game theme heads to run the Cats. He’s replaced by the Cats coach’s twin brother. Staggering state of affairs. And people reckon Eddie McGuire had a conflict of interest.
Exactly.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The biggest issue is the way the Boys' Club just appoints their own with no transparency and who knows what process.

The AFL needs a clean out, start with the commission who seem to do sweet f*** all.

DS

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
see Brad has mentioned a possible 'Umpiring Crisis". mostly at lower levels, but seems to vaguely flag the idea of it becoming a proper job.
it may not come to anything, but it tells me he's aware of something wrong.
Because there is.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The bloke they put in charge of the umpires is the same bloke that was fined for abusing them.
Seriously why can't someone challenge this decision, Hocking's appointment set the game back 20 years.
This could bring the game to its knees

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Putting to one side the issues raised by Hocking's (late) introduction of the stand rule and the predictable impact that had on Richmonds "chaos" game style, the thing that stands out about parachuting Brad Scott into the administration, is that he is moving into a position which will give him control over several of the most important areas of AFL activity, and that some of these have very poor internal process giving him enormous discretionary power.

The three that stand out to me in this regard are the Match Review arrangements, the Umpiring arrangements and the arrangements around free agency compensation. (There are undoubtedly others).

The Umpires.
As I see it, it is a mess with the football director (FD), closely involved in the day to day administration of how rules are to be interpreted. The rules change or stay the same, but it is impossible to predict from match to match, little own season to season, what is appropriate and fair play, and what play is going to result in a penalty. The simple solution is that the administration of umpiring should proceed under the direction of the director of umpiring or the umpires coach, and without any involvement of other AFL personnel.
The rules committee review things from time to time but once the rules are written it should be left to the umpires to interpret them and to stick to a single hopefully consistent view, as to how to do so. The umpires are as a body perfectly competent to carry out this function. They should be allowed to get on with that job, without further input from the FD.
There will be inconsistency arising between umpires but that can be sorted out within the group, this without complicating what the rules actually mean with a further over lay of what the AFL would like the rules to be interpreted as meaning.
The fact that we regularly have an opinion from the FD as to whether a particular rule interpretation over the previous week was correct or not is a really good example of how the AFL has led the umpires into this mess. Simply put the AFL should seek to emphasise the independence of the umpiring function, and let them get on with it.

Match Review.
Under present arrangements the Match Review Officer Christiansen reviews the games and makes recommendations to the FD who then makes a final decision as to whether the charge and penalty, should or should not go ahead. As above the FD is wearing many hats and may allow his/her judgement on match review matters to be effected by those considerations. Some players and some clubs seem to be especially well looked after at match review while others do not. Providing Christiansen with the ability to proceed independently would take away this problem. As far. as I can see he is capable and able to carry out such work in a consistent manner. If he is unable to do so then the AFL may need to find another review officer, but IMO the fact that he may not be up to it doesn't warrant his decisions being subject to the whims of the FD.

Free Agency.
No one knows how it works or who is responsible for its interpretation. There are clear examples of inconsistency in the past, which don't pass muster. (Motlop to PA is one which immediately comes to mind). And yet there is still no transparency. Surely the AFL can do better.
For those interested in the Scott appointment just read a piece by McLure and Wilson published in the Age on Friday afternoon 16/9, which confirms that Scott is taking over responsibility for umpiring, match review etc as above.
Crazy decision.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
see Brad has mentioned a possible 'Umpiring Crisis". mostly at lower levels, but seems to vaguely flag the idea of it becoming a proper job.
it may not come to anything, but it tells me he's aware of something wrong.
Because there is.
Yes there is a crisis in umpiring. It's good that Scott has acknowledged that point but what I haven't heard is anything about the cause.

Not discounting things evolving outside of AFL (attitudes to contact sports, popularity of other sports or greater interest in pastimes such as video games), to me the "umpiring crisis" gets down to the constant rule changes/interpretations.

Everyone says how hard it is to umpire the game yet they keep adding layer upon layer of rules/interpretations. People are sick of the changes and week to week interpretations.

I think the AFL have done a good job in highlighting respect to umpires but the irony is that they have created an environment that added to the hosility towards the maggots.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The part I don't understand is why people think he is a bust before he even starts?

He would seem to be a perfect fit for a role like this and have every chance of success.

I must have missed the

> Bachelor of Law
> Masters In Organisational Governance
> 30 year career as an Umpire

on Chris's CV?

These people exist. They just don't get an interview, because theres never an ad in the paper.

sure, a head coach would have a diverse skillset, but unrelated to adjudication and sanctioning. A head coach is an autocrat; transparency and consultation aren't their strong suit. The good coaches do accountability well, but Brad Scott wasnt a good coach. Great communicators, but I never heard a press conference from anyone in the AFL except Gil. Brutal competitors, but theres no competition.

its a $Billion dollar industry. Imagine if Alan Joyce put a bloke who left school in year 11, but who liked model planes, in charge of QANTAS governance and legals?

the only two Selection Criteria are

1. Must be a good bloke, according to the private school clique who run the show
2. Desirable to have played footy.

and they aren't even written down

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users