Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just concentrate on your health Higlet, that's all that matters. The club will keep a spot warm for you and I reckon that spot may even be there if you can't play again.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Higlet shoukld be ok but they will take it easy with him.
Reckon you are right TBH!

It was wonderful that he was there Saturday with the boys and was involved in training, abeith a run around Punt Road (with Rancey).

We do things differently.

Don't underestimate how much of a lift that appearance and run during the training with Trossman would've given the team.

He's a pest but they all love him.

Yep the RFC is a different entity and the club many others are trying to emulate but you cannot manufacture what has happened organically at the RFC..

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Not best 22 anyway.
He's not best 22 when his brain is haemorrhaging. But go back to that prelim loss and he was one of the few who stood up that night.

Round one seems optimistic but I'm sure it will be based on the best medical advice. We can afford to be cautious. Football is secondary.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I don't want him to push himself too quickly as his long term health is far more important that an early return to footy. Will be great to see him back but only when medico terms and conditions are met which is something we can rely on with Richmond

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone see this? The host says it but Jack repeats he was close to passing away during surgery...or passing out?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yep, both certainly say he nearly passed away a few times.

Amazing he turned up to training and the Granny

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm sure I read something in the last few days where the doctor was extremely pleased with the outcome of the operation, and his projected recovery time had been reduced dramatically.

Edit: here it is.
The Tigers’ cult hero made an emotional return to Richmond training on Thursday amid a dramatically improved outlook on his health that could see him completing the upcoming pre-season.

It is understood Higgins might now ramp up his fitness work in coming months after earlier conservative estimates he might only return late next season.

His second bout of brain surgery has been so successful he could be in non-contact drills early in the pre-season before being cleared late in the summer for contract drills.
He pulled up terribly from initial surgery with a shocking week of pain and then eight weeks of further headaches.

But since his second surgery he has improved markedly and could even be on track for a Round 1 return if everything goes to plan.

Tigers football manager Neil Balme said he hoped Higgins, who plans to attend the Grand Final on Saturday, was now back to “square one” with his recovery.

“It’s lovely. He has got a really good report from his surgeon and he is feeling pretty good, so he has come back in for the first time,” Balme said.

“He has kind of got the all clear to get moving I think. So he will start training as soon as he can, we haven’t quite worked out what the program is, but they reckon he’s pretty good.

“It’s been a very positive report and they are happy with it and he is feeling comfortable and feeling good and he’s keen to get started soon.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/8ab70d803154182558dd3de59da58ed7 (paywalled)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Thought i would post this video to cheer us up a little in relation to young Higgo.

I was there when he debuted.
Wasnt he happy with his first goal.

You realize the kid has immense talent when you watch the video.
You realize something must have been wrong (looking back) how he was playing.

The kid is infectious.
In the huddle what a lovely shot of Dusty looking at him telling his team mates a joke.
The kid has courage.
The kid can seriously play.

How ABOUT his acceptance speech for GOTY in 2018?

Enjoy watching this . It will bring a smile on your face.

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Great video. Hope the kid makes it back.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Lots of positive stuff here but I reckon outside of this too many have forgotten too quickly what an impact this kid had. As a rookie he forced his way into a premiership team and was brilliant! I cannot wait until he's back.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He's not best 22 when his brain is haemorrhaging. But go back to that prelim loss and he was one of the few who stood up that night

Great call TBH.

Yep he is a pure footballer who stood up on a huge stage in very trying circumstances.

He is progressing very well and im looking forward to CCJ tapping it down Jacks throat for a decade.

So is Jack.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Lots of positive stuff here but I reckon outside of this too many have forgotten too quickly what an impact this kid had. As a rookie he forced his way into a premiership team and was brilliant! I cannot wait until he's back.

Bingo. Toohey's said something that I fully agree with around Jack becoming fumblely and double grabbing the ball this year, after all has been revealed, I'm pretty confident his condition affected his performance. At his best, he is best 22 without doubt.

Really excited to see him back out there for the lift it will give the group emotionally as opposed to what he produces on the ground. I think right now our club's footballing performance is lifted by increasing the emotional bonds the players have. It's always been true that the more you care about your teammates the better you perform but it's never been more true then Richmond right now.

Reactions: 10 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This kid broke into a Premiership team in his first year. Won goal of the year. Gave the pregame speeches. Was used by the AFL in their advertising.

We're forgetting what Higlet was and hopefully can be again.

Reactions: 5 users