Cam McCarthy quits Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cam McCarthy quits Freo

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Apparently Cam Mccarthy has quit Fremantle because they haven’t offered him a contract going forward.

To be honest I thought he’d already left AFL footy. Geez it’s all gone downhill for him since his good season for GWS in 2015. Sat out 2016, played 19 games in 2017, then 17 games, then 12 games and 1 game in 2020.

Doubt a third club will be chasing him. 26 going into season 2021.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe the Maggots, or Drugs are in his ear ............................ you cant trust Fat Ed and the Drugs.

Last edited:
Apparently Cam Mccarthy has quit Fremantle because they haven’t offered him a contract going forward.

To be honest I thought he’d already left AFL footy. Geez it’s all gone downhill for him since his good season for GWS in 2015. Sat out 2016, played 19 games in 2017, then 17 games, then 12 games and 1 game in 2020.

Doubt a third club will be chasing him. 26 going into season 2021.
He might struggle to be picked up by another club, as he's been diagnosed with epilepsy.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I was going to say he seemed to lack some maturity or had bad player management advice, given he sat out 12 months at GWS after signing a contract and has now decided not to finish his contract at Freo. (an example of how you can jump to a conclusion without all the info)

I thought he had real potential a couple of years ago. Another one of those mysterious "why didn't player x kick on" scenarios.

However if he's retiring from the AFL for medical reasons (different to dummy spit and hoping for new contract elsewhere next year) then that's real sad. I hope he gets on top of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I was going to say he seemed to lack some maturity or had bad player management advice, given he sat out 12 months at GWS after signing a contract and has now decided not to finish his contract at Freo. (an example of how you can jump to a conclusion without all the info)

I thought he had real potential a couple of years ago. Another one of those mysterious "why didn't player x kick on" scenarios.

However if he's retiring from the AFL for medical reasons (different to dummy spit and hoping for new contract elsewhere next year) then that's real sad. I hope he gets on top of it.
I think he would like to continue to play, I think he's been told he won't be offered a contract for next year.

Sadly the kids been beset by both personal and medical dramas with a collapse this pre season that have plagued his career. Not sure he fits an elite sports environment , was a real talent , hope he gets himself right

He's a good kid and a very talented footballer but always struggled a bit with the demands of elite sport.

I'm surprised more footballers don't walk away because of the demands of the game, eg. Tom Boyd, Jayden Post etc. Sure, it's a lot of money, but for some it seems like a bit of a velvet prison.

Maybe they do and it's just couched under another reason, or maybe AFL footballers are mostly self-selecting and it's largely only the really dedicated that get to the big time these days. I remember when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s there were plenty of blokes I knew or knew of who were talented enough to get to the AFL but preferred getting on the drink or whatever, and the demands have only increased since then.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm surprised more footballers don't walk away because of the demands of the game, eg. Tom Boyd, Jayden Post etc. Sure, it's a lot of money, but for some it seems like a bit of a velvet prison.

Maybe they do and it's just couched under another reason, or maybe AFL footballers are mostly self-selecting and it's largely only the really dedicated that get to the big time these days. I remember when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s there were plenty of blokes I knew or knew of who were talented enough to get to the AFL but preferred getting on the drink or whatever, and the demands have only increased since then.
It’s a good point , i feeel that many of those are weeded out during the draft process, only the most talented with baggage through , as we’ve seen it oft catches up in the end

On Jayden Post, he was delisted. At that time he was offered WAFL, SANFL and a heap of country footy gigs but was chose to go back to his junior club Altona. He was studying at Uni and had a job. He wanted to keep playing AFL but it was over. He never suffered from the demands of the game.

When is Freo ever going to get its *smile* together. Longmuir seems like a great appointment, but still a messy place.

Fyfe is a great player, but hasn't been able to lead the club towards a high-performance culture. Very similar to Judd at Carlton. Just further emphasises how lucky we have been with our playing leadership over the last 5+ years with Cotchin, Jack, Rance and even Dusty, and before that guys like Newman, Jackson and Maric who turned the jumper around.

Another Freo play, Jason Carter (who?) has left the club after being told he’s not getting another contract for 2021.

• Wow