Cambo: no answer to Richardson puzzle (Herald-Sun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cambo: no answer to Richardson puzzle (Herald-Sun)

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I agree with quite a few of the posts today re Richo and, though I would hate to see him go, I think the only chance for him to achieve anything like his potential is to go to another club. I don't think we are going to see the last of Pontiac (not for next season, anyway) & Richo is not going to improve under present coaching staff. I thought some of Campbell's comments bear looking into further...was he criticising coaching methods, or not?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm 50/50 about whether Richo should stay or go.
I know that if we had better players further up the ground he and the club would be be alot better off.

If we do trade him we need a quality big man to replace him.

There is talk that Jonathan Brown might want to come back to Victoria. I don't know whether he is out of contract but he's a gun footballer. He has had hip problems this year so we would need to make sure that that wasn't going to be a long term thing.

If he is out of contract and with Lynch nearing the end of his career the lions might be interested in Richo.

Mathews would be the type of coach that would get the best out of Richo.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
spiritofrichmond said:
I seem to think that MC24, Harry, Koalahill and Rosy always make a great deal of sense with their thoughts.
I hope I score a few brownie points for this !!!

Thanks for the kind words spiritofrichmond.

That's what I like most about this Board. You get to see different views and everybody brings something different to the Board. Makes for a good place to get real views and opinions on issues. The variety of knowledge and opinions of real supporters makes for better and more interesting reading, imo.

Thanks for raising the issue spiritofrichmond. It's good of you to recognise and appreciate people's efforts.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Did I say something I shouldn't have shawry? :-[

I was acknowledging the contribution of everybody. At least I hope that's how it came across.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
No MC24 you didnt I was jsut being an idiot in reaction to SpiritofRichmond singling out posters as informative. My sarchasm probably didnt come across and was directed at SpiritofRichmonds comment. Was jsut a sarchastic remark though, not intended as an attack on him.

ComedyCapers

I'm a llama!
Aug 13, 2003
Canberra
Richo reminds me of Russia. A riddle within an enigma.
It begs the question 'Should you build a strategy around 1 gun player?'. Pagan did it with Carey but the player must be an absolute gun at the peak of his powers and all the other players mere foot soldiers. Hawthorn had Dunstall but could still win well without him.
The only such franchise player now is Lloyd who is clearly the 'most important for the team' as opposed to the best player in the AFL.
Without him the Bummers couldn't go 2 rounds with a revolving door.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
It's funny, comedy capers. People say North build a team around Carey, and they did, but they actually surrounded him with lots of talent.

Guys like Stevens, Allison, Martyn, Archer, Pike, Abraham, Pickett, Bell, King, Longmire, Sholl, Schwass, Roberts, McKernan (good for one year!), Rock, Crocker - Geez, just typing that list out, how much would you like those sort of players at Tigerland? A top combination of toughness and skill.

Even the Bombers are pretty classy, and give Lloyd first rate delivery.

Both sides have well drilled and coached forward lines.

And that's been our problem - we've surrounded our better players with duds.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Didn't mean to give you any unnecessary grief shawry. I didn't necessarily get the wrong impression. Just checking to make sure. ;)

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
If Richmond were to trade Richardson, what would the club gain ?

We would lose a Team Of The Century player. A player of Richardsons type doesnt come along very often. He is quick and he is tall. He is one of the best marks in the game.

There is no way the club would ever consider trading him.

Should Richmond trade Richardson, we'd lose heaps on members. Richardson is one of the most marketable players and the footy club makes a mint of Richo mechandise.

Look at Melbourne, they traded Woowoden and it effected their membership renewals. My brother was one Mebourne supporter that refused to renew his membership for Woowoden getting traded.

If Richmond was to trade Richo, I'd run the length of Punt Rd naked (that wont be a pretty sight). It just wont happen.

Furthermore, look at the players around Richo, the way they deliver the ball to him. Its a disgrace.

Richo is one of the most passionate Richmond players out there. He could of definately got more money going elsewhere last year, but decided to stay at Richmond for less.

Richo lives for Richmond and will finish his career at Richmond.

Notice that the people in the media that keep saying to trade Richo were failures as Coaches or never played the game.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Nwonash: I like your reasons for keeping Richo, and if it was up to me, that would persuade me to keep him at Tigerland. But as it's not up to me, if he is traded, will you let me know what day you are planning to carry out your threat, and I will keep right away from Punt Road.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I've been a member since 86, but they trade this guy i won't be next year.

Why deal with the symtom instead of the problem. Trade the players upfield who can't kick for sh!te.

It's funny too how Richo can have 28 possessions, 13 marks - most of them contested, yet if we loose it's always his fault.

We have a player who is totally unique in terms of size and agility, yet since Northey, he's been locked away in the goal square. Michael Roach had the question put to him and was dead against him being traded.

As for his kicking at goal - i don't want to sound like a smart (_(_), but i wish we had someone down there that actually knew something about the mechanics of kicking a football, because you can pick Richo's problem from a mile off.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
We'll never trade Richo, but the way I see it is that unless the ball is pinpoint passed to Richo he is useless. He hardly every has second efforts, he can't read the play once the ball hits the deck and if he drops the mark you can count him out of the contest. Whilst he might star in a quality team it doesn't look like he is going to star for us.

Players like Nathan Brown can continue to play well when they are in *smile* teams not becasue they deliver the ball to him accurately but because he isn't a one dimensional player and can use his brain to read the play and be able to get the ball on his own without expecting it to be delivered on a platter.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
When Richo goes for a mark he is usually up against 3 opposition players and no other Tigers crumbing around him. IMO to trade Richo would be another financial disaster a-la Daffy/Bourke. When the Tigers are on fire, Richo is on fire.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I'm 50/50 on Richo even though i've bagged him on PRE previously, because of how much he frustrates me so much.

Good points

Richo is a great mark
Richo potentially is a match winner
Richo used to able to kick goals
Richo dictates the opposition to tag him with one or two quality defenders
Richo is a franchise player
Richo is Richmond

Bad Points

Richo is a confidence player and is shot for confidence currently
Richo leads to the top tier of the Southern Stand
Richo can't kick straight from ten metres out (big hook turns)
Richo has deplorable body language
Richo is abusive to team mates
Richo has no second effort and cannot read the play (as stated by someone else)
Richo needs it in on a platter (as stated by someone else)
Richo wastes opportunities by not kicking the kickable goals and dropping his head the instant he does not win at the first attempt which adversely affects the rest of the teams morale. They work their guts out to get the ball up to him and he turns it over about 80% of the time just to see it come back instantly down their throats.
Richo brings his opponents to other winnable Richmond contests when he does not need to.
Richo appears to think he needs to win every contest and win every game off his own boot.
Richo sometimes makes very average opponents look good (ala Prestigiacomo)
Richo needs a GOOD coach to be the player he could be.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Every one has made some good valid points.

I reckon that we should only trade Richo if he wants to go.

What we need is another quality ruckman to help Stafford in the ruck.
This would allow us to play Ottens at ff, Richo at chf.
A couple more good midfielders another tall backman and we would be half way there.

We would be one of only a couple of clubs that only have 2 genuine ruckman on their list.