Campbo on the mend (AFL website) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbo on the mend (AFL website)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Campbell on the mend
11:45:51 AM Tue 15 July, 2003
afl.com.au

Richmond captain Wayne Campbell is facing a three to four month rehabilitation period after surgery on his torn achilles heel on Monday.

The Tiger released a statement saying that the report from the surgeon was "very positive".

Campbell will have a plaster cast on his lower leg for two weeks weeks and then will wear a cam walker for a further 4 weeks. He will be released from hospital on Tuesday.

Campbell suffered the injury while celebrating a goal during the clash against Geelong at Telstra Dome on Saturday, the latest setback in a wretched year for the skipper who was in career-best form before suffering a calf injury.

Matthew Richardson will lead the Tigers for the rest of the season, starting with the clash against Collingwood at the MCG on Friday night.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
The man has damn near more determination than this whole club put together and I have confidence that he will return and prove the doubters wrong - AGAIN!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Campbell hopes for return
Tuesday 15 July 2003, 5:05 PM
The Age

Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell is on track to be back for AFL pre-season training early next year after surgery on his torn Achilles tendon.

Tigers football manager Greg Hutchison said Campbell was released from hospital on Tuesday and would wear a plaster cast on his leg for the next fortnight.

He will then wear a support brace for a month before starting 3-4 months of rehabilitation.

Hutchison said both Campbell and his surgeon were optimistic the operation had gone well.

But they won't know how well the injury is healing until the brace - known as a cam walker - is removed.

"All things being equal he should be able to start (training) in January - that's the program," Hutchison said.

"The surgeon is very happy with how the surgery went.

"I picked Wayne up from the hospital this morning and he's feeling pretty good.

"But it's hard to tell and we won't probably know the full extent of how long it will be until the cam walker comes off in six weeks."

Campbell ruptured his Achilles tendon while leaping in the air to celebrate a goal late in the Tigers' narrow loss to Geelong last weekend, immediately ending his injury-interrupted season.

Hutchison also ruled midfielder Kane Johnson out of Friday night's match against Collingwood at the MCG.

Johnson damaged a hamstring against Geelong and was rated some hope of a surprise return.

But Hutchison said there was no chance Johnson would play against the `Pies, though he could play against the Western Bulldogs in a fortnight.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We need to look and focus on the future. Lets not worry about Campbell - if he comes back next year and plays a few games then good - but if has no more impact then nothing is lost. Despite being a good player (nothing great) he is not our answer.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Harry said:
We need to look and focus on the future. Lets not worry about Campbell - if he comes back next year and plays a few games then good - but if has no more impact then nothing is lost. Despite being a good player (nothing great) he is not our answer.

Well at least not the future anyway Harry. As much as he has been a great servant of the club like many others we have to start looking at the life after.

I hope CAMPBO makes it back and has another couple of good years, but we have to look forward to the future as Harry rightly points out.

Good luck Campbo.