Capuano a Tiger? (The Australian) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Capuano a Tiger? (The Australian)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Malthouse's dire warning
By Greg Denham and Malcolm Conn
May 29, 2003
THE Matthew Capuano sacking affair took extraordinary twists yesterday when Richmond offered the ruckman a lifeline and Mick Malthouse suggested mid-season axings could lead to suicide.

And Capuano refuted a claim by St Kilda coach Grant Thomas, who sacked him, that his playing days were over.

Collingwood coach Malthouse warned the public humiliation could leave players emotionally traumatised.

"We do not want to be one of the sports who has the first player dropping off a bridge or swinging from a bridge," Malthouse said.

"They have to be treated with dignity. They have to be able to walk out of an organisation with their head high without the tag of being a failure."

Richmond will today approach Capuano to play out the season with their VFL affiliate Coburg, with a view to drafting him for next year.

Tigers football manager Greg Hutchison said assistant coach Darren Crocker, a premiership team-mate of Capuano at North Melbourne, would make the approach.

"We discussed it at match committee today and we're really interested to get him to Coburg where we're struggling for big guys," Hutchison said. "It could be his best way back into the AFL system."

Capuano dismissed claims by Thomas that "the game had passed him by" and that he intended to retire.

"I still believe I'm capable of playing at AFL level," Capuano said. "And if some club thinks I've still got what it takes, I'd be glad to talk to them."

Capuano, 27, a dual-premiership ruckman before crossing to Moorabbin on a three-year contract, was axed on Monday by Thomas because of poor form.

He said he was appreciative of support from Malthouse, a columnist with The Australian , who yesterday wrote that Capuano's sacking was an "absolute disgrace".

"He had some good things to say," Capuano said. "It is not often that a coach comes out and says stuff like that. I appreciated it."

Thomas was not so moved, describing Malthouse's opinion as "irrelevant".

"I put a call in (to Malthouse) and I'm waiting for one back," Thomas said.

Continuing his condemnation of the sacking yesterday, Malthouse said his blood boiled when he heard what had happened.

"I feel desperately sorry for Matthew Capuano, but it's the broader issue," he said. "We can rectify it by a rule change for player swaps, but most importantly we've got to get the system right so we don't have a player in a vulnerable state by being publicly sacked."

Malthouse said he had previously approached the AFL at a coaches meeting to change the rules so there could be a mid-season swap of players, which would help avoid the current situation.

St Kilda were thrashed by Collingwood by 65 points last Saturday night. When asked if he looked forward to next year's clash, Thomas replied: "Revenge is a poor form of weakness."

Capuano declined to comment on a claim by St Kilda chief executive Brian Waldron that the club had done him a favour.

"It's their prerogative to say what they like, and I don't want to be drawn on it other than to say I would have loved to see out the season," he said.

Speaking on Melbourne radio Sport 927 yesterday, Waldron defended the decision to sack Capuano.

"Matthew was given the option to retire, which he chose not to do," Waldron said. "We made it clear to Matty that we thought it best that he didn't go on and Matty made it clear to Grant Thomas that he wanted to give it away.

"I think Matty will wake up in 10 or 12 days and I expect him to say they've done me a favour."

T

tiga chikk

Do we really need an older player to come through when we've got so many young guys that might be pushing for selection?

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Sure, get him down to Coburg, but I'd be disappointed if we drafted him next year — we've got plenty of injury-prone big men already.

Draft or trade for a youngster IMO.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm all for it. We don't have many younger "talls" as was sadly evident last week.
If the young guys are good enough Matty won't get a guernsey, but remember he's a dual premiership ruckman.
If he never makes in onto our list the experience he'd give the kids at Coburg could prove invaluable.
Maybe he just wasn't at home at St Kilda. Could hardly blame him, ha.
There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain by having Matty at Coburg.
I hope it happens.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Coburg fair enough. Richmond next year, better be unlikely. That is a step in the wrong direction. Just draft a couple of YOUNG talls next year to rectify our current shortage. Should take them a while to develop anyway meanwhile Ottens, Staff and Hall are there adn i nthe even of an injury they can get some game time adn much needed experience.

Please no Capuano though, that is a backward step. I've always rated him as USELESS and nothing has changed my mind. If he cant make it at St Kilda then no thanks.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
QUIZ

Who am I?

5 points- I am a tall player who came to Richmond with a similar reputation to Capuano. Lazy, disinterested, injury prone, past my prime.

4 points- A lot of Richmond people on the message board were against me coming to Tigerland.

3 points- I proved reputation counts for nothing and that a good fitness program can work wonders.

2 points- I am one of the Tigers most valuable players at the moment.

1 point- I have brought pride back to the no 10 guernsey. (If you've got to this stage you're obviously not a Tiger fan so on ya bike ;D )

Get my point peoples, ha? :rollin

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
At least Stafford was good and played many good games for Sydney before he came, had one bad year (injuries hurt that year) and then he came good with us again.

Capuano obviously is no mug you dont play in 2 premierships if you have no ability, i jsut dont think he is what we need. Seems to me like Crockerlooking after his mates. Could use hjim (or anyone tall ) nowbut is he really a long term proposition? I would be happy to eat crow if it does work out though, i jsut dont like the chances. Blokes moving onto their third club (esp in these circumstances, i just dont see the point). Again just my opinion though.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Was only being silly sorry shawry. ;D

Guess we have to have faith in the club to suss out the real story and act in the appropriate manner to benefit Richmond.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I'm with you on this one shawry.

If they wanted to get him there to help out the young guys at Coburg, fair enough. But short-term, quick fixes haven't helped us in the past, don't see how they're going to help us now. We should be looking long-term.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
not a supporter of this move really.when was the last time cap. played 3 games straight let alone a full season.
if we are desperate for a "used tall"until a younger tall is up to it why not go after someone like petter street from geelong?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Capuano at Coburg,,,Good idea
Cspuano at Richmond...Bad idea.

We have an opportunity at the end of the year to have a clean out and get a fresh influx of new and young talent. IMO drafting Capuano would be repeating the mistakes of the past.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Surely this is a joke

We dont need any more hack recruits from other clubs.

When the the last time Capuano played a half decent game? 5 years ago?

By all means get him down to Coburg, but there is no need to even consider drafting him next year.

Rodan#18

Fijian thunderbolt
Jan 19, 2003
rosy3 said:
I'm all for it. We don't have many younger "talls" as was sadly evident last week.
If the young guys are good enough Matty won't get a guernsey, but remember he's a dual premiership ruckman.
If he never makes in onto our list the experience he'd give the kids at Coburg could prove invaluable.
Maybe he just wasn't at home at St Kilda. Could hardly blame him, ha.
There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain by having Matty at Coburg.
I hope it happens.

hear hear rosy...got to agree with you. great opportunity to check him out before we have to make a decision. Richmond can get him a with a late pick if he does go alright. it's win-win. Ruckman are somewhat rare just now. Though capuano is 27 ish...I'd still get a 17 year old ruckman quite early.

I don't want to see Vardy double teamed again next year ...do you ?

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
My opinion on this matter is that if the RFC is even contemplating picking up Capuano and possibly drafting him next season, then 2 things come to mind.

a). We have no confidence that the likes of Shultz, Sipthorp, etc. will come on in year/s to come

b). The above and also we are very worried about the injury prone talls we have which is no surprise. eg. Staff, Hall, Ottens, Holland.

If this is the case or even close to it, and knowing how hard it is to find a decent tall these days, then I reckon it's not a bad decision.

Having Capuano instead of a Pettifer, Rogers, Biddiscumb, King, etc. is not a bad option IMO.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I'd be against drafting him but like some have said he would be good for Coburg.

ILoveNewman
Having Capuano instead of a Pettifer, Rogers, Biddiscumb, King, etc. is not a bad option IMO.
IMO He is the same, just taller and more injury prone.
Also IMO I'd take Rogers out of the above, but we have all walked down that path of discussion before.LOL

Brian Waldron
"I think Matty will wake up in 10 or 12 days and I expect him to say they've done me a favour."
What a patronising bastard!!

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
mightytiges said:
Capuano at Coburg,,,Good idea
Cspuano at Richmond...Bad idea.

Hmm, Remember Paul Hudson? ... most called him the
biggest dud ever - never really got a chance in
the Richmond team, but was generally good with
Coburg. Usually several goals per game. His experience
probably helped the Burg's forward line, and I'd reckon
they are missing him this year.
Coburg are currently very "small" - but they
were generally "small" last year as well. This year,
a number of "talls" haven't quite made the senior
team (Flarherty, Butler etc). Vardy has been "called up"
to the Richmond team... etc etc, but they still
have Warren Carlyle and Pat Steinfort (if he can
stay on the park..) I can see Cap being of benefit
to Coburg at least - if it doesn't cost much. Heck
if he's even crap at Coburg - don't play him - use
him as a ruck coach.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Capuano+Coburg = Win Win
Capuano+Tigers = Win Loss

Reckon the first part about getting him to Coburg would be a good deal for Both. Maybe they believe that he can help the likes of SCHULZ and Co although I don't believe they see CAPUANO filling a role that they have in mind for SCHULZ and co.

We need young talls not old worn out wons. CAPUANO may still have a couple of years left, but still think we would be much better sticking with a youth policy. Don't think he has the versatility to make him an attractive option IMHO.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
One big problem with TAC kids is that the so called TALL kids are only tall flankers in reality and the ruckmen only 192cms tall. We all saw Shulzt run out v Bummers, while he is not small, he is no giant.

Our chioce for real talls is as follows;
1. Pick up a discard like Capuano
2. Trade for a tall from another club eg. Nick Holland
3. Go out on a limb and get a ruckman from SANFL or WAFL who is 22+ yrs old.
4. Redraft a player like Steinfort or Homewood

I would be happy for the club to go with any of the above options. Capa's is tryer, no more no less, but he is 198cm tall. Why have hacks like Mills on the list when you can have TALL hacks who can at least fill a role in times of need.