Chris Newman - the makings of a great defender | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Newman - the makings of a great defender

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I have been very impressed with Chris Newman's game this year. He is improving with every game. The most impressive thing I have foud about his game at the moment is his coolness under pressure. I believe that is one of the most important qualities a defender can have.

He had 14 possesions against the hawks, which was the 8th best tiger on the day. I believe this kid has a big future! Bold statement I know...but I think he's got what it takes!

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Lets hope so tiga because the club needs something to make up for the first round draft debacles in 1999 and 2000.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
I'd mentioned a while back (when I first saw him playing in the magoos) that he had a cool head and reminded me of Andrew McKay.

What has also become apparent about him is that he has amazing pace, to the point of being able to run anyone down from behind.

Maybe we have a matchup now for Andrew McLeod!

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I totally agree TigerFury. He has excellent pace and he would be a great match up to any speedy opposition forwards. The Andy Mckay comparison is a good one!
I hope they match him up with one of the Burgoyne boys. That will be interesting!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
His skills, pace, vision and composure stand out. Great ingredients for a great player. I see him developing into a midfielder. The only thing that concerns me about him is probably his hardness at the ball in pack situations and his tendency to at times take his eyes off the ball and defend himself when heavy traffic comes his way (not to Pettifers extent however). I have noticed this a few times and hopefully this is due to inexperience and something he can iron out. If he can take some lessons from Coughlan in this department then he will be a gun.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I agree with everything said about Chris. He stood out towards the end of last year and the London game - cool under pressure and silky skilled with a fair bit of pace. Why I chose to be President of his fan club ;D.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I like Harry reckon that NEWMAN has a lot of qualities that would make him a very good midfielder. Quick, cool under pressure, good disposal and prepared to lay a tackle.

Reckon he would add a bit to the midfield rotation when needed and some of our others are being tagged out of a game.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
TigerFurious said:
Lets hope so tiga because the club needs something to make up for the first round draft debacles in 1999 and 2000.

There was an interesting little snippet in Monday's Herald-Sun about the Tigers not selecting Jason Cloke. It highlighted that we used that draft pick on Cogs. This I did not realise. While I agree KP (Pettifer) has been a disappointment. I wouldn't swap Jason Cloke for Cogs in a million years.

Not all of our draft choices have been a disaster.

antigravity

I'm a llama!
Mar 29, 2003
Richmond has used their draft picks adequately. Beck certainly hasn't embarrased himself, however he hasn't found that many diamonds among the rough.

I think if a recruiter can get some decent players with around 50% of players drafted, with a small percentage being above average skillwise (coughlan, rodan) then he's done a good job.

I'd love to see a list of the drafts for the past 10 or so years, not just for Richmond but for all the clubs to make a fair assesment on Beck's job. He really can't be doing to bad considering he's had the position for quite some time.

I think the problem is, as Richmond supporters, we only see the good sides of the other teams recruitment. We never see all the dud picks because ultimately we are interested in Richmond, not the Western Bulldogs, or Geelong etc..

T

tiga chikk

One day just one day he might be the best in the league and lets just hope he grows to be a tiger for the rest of his career, which hopefully will be a 200+ one

T

tiga chikk

One day just one day he might be the best in the league and lets just hope he grows to be a tiger for the rest of his career, which hopefully will be a 200+ one

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
antigravity said:
I'd love to see a list of the drafts for the past 10 or so years, not just for Richmond but for all the clubs to make a fair assesment on Beck's job

Can find these in AFL Yearbook 2003. Great book i buy it every year about $39.95 i think, shouldnt be too hard to find. I got mine at start of season at local newsagent here.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've got Richmond's draft picks from 1986-2001 on an Excel spread sheet if that's of any interest Td.

I also found this list of our rookies I got in the Tigers e-mail interesting too. Not many rookies go on to be really successful AFL players it seems.
1998_

Chris Bossong
Ben Hollands
Greg Tivendale

_1999_

Chris Bossong
Teghan Henderson
Ben Hollands
Robert Taylor

_2000_

Ben Haynes
Teghan Henderson
Troy Kirwen
Robert Taylor
Royce Vardy

_2001_

Michael Barker
Adrian Burgiel
Craig Ednie
Garth Taylor

_2002_

Kristian DePasquale
Simon Hart
Matt King
Brad Miller
Garth Taylor

_2003_

Kelvin Moore
Adam Pickering
Mathew Shir

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I dont have a scanner here at work sorry. There are a lot of pages too, if i get some spare time (unlikely with my lifestyle) i will write a list out and get it on here somehow or email it around. See what happens. I'll try. Lot of pages though.