Coburg thrashed | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg thrashed

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
According to the footballvic web site, Coburg are
getting thumped by Werribee. :'(

That first quarter looks like it was a killer.

Werribee 8.3 11.8 14.15 0.0 (0)
Coburg Tigers 0.1 3.4 5.7 0.0 (0)

Final scores not posted yet.

Final Scores

Final scores:

Werribee 8.3 11.8 14.15 16.19 (115)
Coburg Tigers 0.1 3.4 5.7 10.7 (67)

Looking forward to any reports from people who
attended this game as to what went wrong!

just back not a good day  :eek:

Goals: Moore 2, Jurgenson, Dragecevic, Foley, O’Connor, McDonald, Pettifer, Kuret, Magee.
Best: Dragecevic,Kuret,Jurgenson, Foley, Raines, Pettifer.

Re Today

Dragga was everywhere and clearly BOG

Moore was great, beat his opponent when down back but then went forward and played well.

Morrison presented well and should return to the seniors.

Blumfield got better by the minute

Re Today again,

Foley and Raines are exciting on ball prospects. Their ball skills are superb even under pressure.

Zantuck did not play?

Rogers and D Kellaway played in the Coburg reserves I'm sure because they had their bags when they were watching the Seniors. I didn't see that game.

Gilmour may have played Coburg reserves???

Dragga and Moore should be promoted now in my opinion, but I doubt that we have the room in the salary cap.

yeah, you might be right about the salary cap.

Can anyone confirm if Duncan and Matty Rogers played reserves?

I forgot to mention that Petifer had a good game and should replace Roach this week in the seniors.

Morrison will replace Weller.

Tuck needs more time to gain confidence.

Blumfield 2 weeks away.

I would prefer to see us stick with Tommy than Pettifer, we know Tommy is definitely going to be there next year, people will say that Pettifer hasn't been given enough of a go, but you either show a glimpse of something and grab it by the throat or show not much at all and keep losing your grip, and Kayne is in the latter category.

Long term it would be better for Roach to get plenty of game time on ball for Coburg. Pettifer has done his time at coburg and should be given the chance to prove him self.

We have given Roachy a taste of senior footy but he is not ready for it. Roach, Raines, Foley, Hartigan and Gilmour need to do their time at Coburg.

crackertiger said:
Gilmour may have played Coburg reserves???

Dragga and Moore should be promoted now in my opinion, but I doubt that we have the room in the salary cap.

Even if we did have room in the salary cap we don't have the long term injury needed to elevate someone.

I don't think Moore is considered ready for seniors yet. There's no use rushing things when he's got years ahead of him.

Dunc played the first half in the ressies ...and got a goal. ;D

I don't think Rogo played but not sure. He's not far away from returning anyway.

Tiggytam said:
Is Gilmour still injured?

Does anyone know if Dragga would be close to pressing for senior selection.

Dragga, wonder if he'll get back onto the list?
Raines looks like a real classy midfield, I think this kid is gold. I'm a big rap for him after seeing his first game for Coburg. Keep a eye on him next year.

Coburg Tigers Lose To A Strong Werribee Side
Coburg Tigers v Werribee
16 May 2004
Match Report

It was a disappointing day out for the Coburg Tigers in their clash against Werribee at Chirnside Park on Sunday. In blustery wet conditions crowds in excess of 1000 saw two physical Werribee sides give the Coburg Tigers a reality check after 7 rounds of the 2004 VFL season.

Reserves:

Welcoming back Richmond veteran Duncan Kellaway who has returned from injury, the Reserves put in a strong performance giving 5th place Werribee a scare with a solid first 3 quarters, levelling the game at three quarter time.

Despite their promising start to the gam,e their good work came undone in the final term with momentum swinging Werribee’s way, Coburg finally being beaten by 23 points. Nat Caruso was impressive all over the ground, as too were midfielders Leigh Owen and Justin Crotty. Shannon Downey was a welcome return in defence with Sylvester and Maggiore showing their strength over the ball.

With 8 50-metre penalties against Coburg the lack of discipline was a major influence on the result of the game.

It was a physical encounter with the Burgers playing their best football for the first three quarters, despite being outplayed by Werribee in the final term. The Burgers are placed 7h on the ladder heading into their clash with Williamstown at the Punt Road Oval on Sunday the 23rd of May.

Seniors:

Senior coach David Flood was disappointed with the performance of his Senior team on Sunday with an 8 goal to nothing first term by Werribee. Although the work rate of the Burgers was up, the bombardment of goals in the first term was too much to recover . Werribee’s speed and strength was unstoppable although Coburg stayed within touch for the majority of the game.

The loss has left the side placed 6th on the ladder with four wins and two losses.

Speed and size were necessary in Sunday’s match with the conditions favouring Werribee. Coburg’s young brigade was the shining light of the day with youngster Eric Kuret’s ball winning ability becoming instrumental in Coburg’s fight back.

Young Tigers Nathan Foley and Andrew Raines made their presence felt giving the side plenty of drive through the midfield. Mark Dragicevic was also good with 23 possessions as to was the versatile Kane Pettifer moving into defence late in the second half. Travis Jorgenson continued his great form with another solid performance in defence featuring in the side’s best players.

Despite the loss, Coburg expects the return of several key players in Matt Rogers and Adam Houlihan from injury throughout the coming weeks, which will be welcome inclusions.

Our next home game is Sunday May 23rd at Punt Rd celebrating the 30-year anniversary of the infamous 1974 Windy Hill Brawl.

Seniors: 2:00pm

Reserves: 11:10am

Come down and reminisce the old days with a discussion panel including Mal Brown and Brian ‘Whale’ Roberts.

Lunch $35.00 per/head and drinks at bar prices.

Luncheon Bookings can be made by calling Sacha Koltun on 9426 4489.

Go the Burgers!

Shane Purss

Football Manager
http://coburgtigers.goal.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=28552
In the reserves nice to see Justin Crotty and Nat Caruso do well. Justin went to my school and Nat's dad coached my cousins under 16's team last year.

Now they're playing Pettifer in the backline? I wish they'd give him a position and leave him there. Foward, back, middle make your mind up. Great to see Foley and Raines played well and that Dragga continues to be in Coburgs best.

Seems that even Coburg has the same form slump that the Seniors do. Last year Richmond were flying until the break, then they had that long losing streak, i hope it is not the same for Coburg.

And i hope it is not the same for RFC this year.

Article from local Coburg paper.

Article from the Moreland Communtity News

(I think the editing and layout of this one might
be a little bit out - but this is as it was in
the paper - bak).

(No proper heading)

By Lance Jenkinson.

COBURG Tigers were given a reality check from the
Werribee Tigers at Chirnside Park in round seven
of the Victorian Football League last Sunday.

The boys from City Oval travelled up the Princes
Highway and copped a 48-point defeat, and in the
process dropped to sixth spot on the ladder and
relinquished their place amongst the VFL ladder
leaders.

Coburg senior coach David Flood was disappointed
with the bombardment of goals that saw Coburg
slip to a 50-point deficit after 30 minutes of
play.

According to Coburg Football manager Shane Purss,
Werribee's edge came in the "speed and size"
department with much of the play involving
in-and-under pack situations.

"Coburg's young brigade was the shining light of
the day with youngster Eric Kuret's ball-winning
ability becoming instrumental in Coburg's fight
back," Purss said, eluding to a strong second
half effort from Coburg.

"Young [Coburg] Tigers Nathan Foley and Andrew
Raines made their presence felt giving the
side plenty of drive through the midfield."

Richmond-listed player Mark Dragicevic was handy
picking up 23 possessions while versatile Kayne
Pettifer added a string to his bow playing in
defence.

Full-back Travis Jorgenson continued his great
form and featured in the side's best players.

Coburg expect the return of two key players
in Matthew Rogers and Adam Houlihan from injury
in the comming weeks.

* Coburg's next home game will take place at
Punt Road Oval against Williamstown Seagulls
on Sunday (- note that's the reserves - bak)

The Club will hold a luncheon to celebrate
the 30th anniversary of the infamous 1974
Windy Hill brawl.

VFL legends Mal Brown and Brian Roberts will
form part of a discussion panel to reminisce.
Tickets are $35.00 for the luncheon - call
Koltun on 9426 4489.

* Coburg Tiger's reserves strengthened by the
inclusion of Richmond veteran Duncan Kellaway,
gave the third placed Werribee Tigers a fright.

After scores had been level at the final change,
the hot favourites Werribee ran rampant in the
final term to win by 23 points.

Natale Caruso was impressive in a variety of
positions, as was midfielders Leigh Owen and
Justin Crotty, and defender Shannon Downey.

"With eight 5-metre penalties against Coburg
the lack of discipline was a magor difference
on the result of the game," Purss said.