Coburg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg

WildTiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 3, 2004
Good to see the boys from Coburg had another win with Zantuck kicking 6 and Pettiefer kicking 3

WildTiger said:
Good to see the boys from Coburg had another win with Zantuck kicking 6 and Pettiefer kicking 3
Coburg won by about 22 points.

Kelvin Moore was also good, and Nathan Foley was impressive, as was Tuck (again).

Zantuck did some nice things, Bowden didn't do too much, nor Nichols. Rogers seemed to hurt a quad in the 3rd quarter and didn't come back on in the last.

Gilmour played the first half and seemed ok, but he may have got hurt just before half time because he wasn't spotted after then, Raines came off the bench and did some notable things.

Tough conditions at times, rain and hail fell just before the start of the game and the wind picked up a few times as various storm clouds came and went.

Pretty good team effort all around.

Thanks for the report David

I had only just caught a quick snippet from the radio.

Good to see the boys chalking up a few wins, did Joel do enough to get a game next week?

Bowden was pretty average - didn't do anything in the first half, was better in the second half.  On that performance I wouldn't expect him to get a game next week.

Tuck was OK - not as good as last week but the weather was poor this week.  I was racking my mind as to who he reminds me of and watching the game today it came to me.  He runs and kicks the ball like Martyn Pike and he is a similar utility type player to him.  He was solid today and I would give him a go next week.

Foley - this kid continues to impress me.  He was quiet in the first half and spent long periods on the bench.  However in the second half he was very good, especially in the 3rd qtr when he set up a few goals.  He was one of the main reasons coburg ran away with the game.  He moves well, has extremely good hands and very rarely wastes a possession.  I beleive he will make it.

Zantuck - he was good today playing in the forward line.  Kicked 6 nice goals.  When playing up the ground he was also pretty good despite the conditions.  I'd say he'd be first in line out of the coburg players today to be promoted.

Moore - Continues to impress.  Reads the play very well and took some nice marks.  He needs to put on some weight as he would struggle in the AFL.

Pettifer.  Played OK and seems to be improving with confidence - leave him in Coburg as Flood seems to know how to handle him.  The worst thing for him would be to be promoted and spend the entire game on the bench. 

Nichols - Quiet and spent alot of time on the bench.

Gilmour - Quiet today and was injured - a heavy knock and he appeared to be holding his cheek bone.  He went off and didn't come back on.  Needs to put on some weight - not ready.

Dragga - He was pretty good - the wet conditions suited him.  He won a fair bit of the contested ball. 

Morrison - was average.  The conditions didn't suit him.  However he failed to be imposing in the VFL and I fail to see how he can do it in the AFL.  A half forward flank would be his best bet.

Raines - was average at best. Seems to be lost at times and doesnt know where to run. Long way to go for him.

Rogers - he has put on too much weight and is struggling to run. Did nothing and went off injured.

onsl said:
Thanks for the write-up... makes for some interesting reading.
Coburgs two's have the bye this coming weekend as well.

cheers,
onslaught
http://www.vflfooty.com
That is an impressive site, I've just started "spreading the word" so hopefully it will get a few more hits (as it deserves).

The number 2 for Coburg was quite impressive yesterday - Eric Kuret 21 years old 177cm 72kg. He would have been a far better pick up than a Fletcher/Weller/Marsh. Did he play last year for Coburg and if so did he do well?

Also the captain Leigh Carlson (no.12) and Dean Talbot (no.9) play good football. I reckon both these guys could have made the AFL grade if they were given an opportunity when younger.

Harry said:
The number 2 for Coburg was quite impressive yesterday - Eric Kuret 21 years old 177cm 72kg.  He would have been a far better pick up than a Fletcher/Weller/Marsh.  Did he play last year for Coburg and if so did he do well?
Yes he did - on both counts. Improved as the year went on.
Last year was a particularly bad year though, so the opportunities were not as good.
Played the year before as well.

Also the captain Leigh Carlson (no.12) and Dean Talbot (no.9) play good football.  I reckon both these guys could have made the AFL grade if they were given an opportunity when younger.

Leigh is number 7. 12 is Carl Steinfort.
I understand that Deano has had a past history with AFL
clubs... didn't quite make it. I'm sure someone here would
know the details.

baktiger said:
Leigh is number 7. 12 is Carl Steinfort.
I understand that Deano has had a past history with AFL
clubs... didn't quite make it. I'm sure someone here would
know the details.
The Bulldogs, I believe.

Hi,
Just interested if you might have seen how Bentick of the Bullants played. I saw he kicked 2 goals in the paper.
At Calder last year there were 3 top players - Brock McLean, Hartigan and Bentick.
As well as Hartigan, I recommended Bentick to GMiller. Thought McLean was too slow. Bentick reminded me of Wayne Johnston, whom I remember as a junior at Prahran around 1977.

Talbot, Pasquale, Carlson and Mick Ablitt (Frankston?) all have been invited to Tigerland for pre-season try-outs in the past.

Tigerdog said:
Talbot, Pasquale, Carlson and Mick Ablitt (Frankston?) all have been invited to Tigerland for pre-season try-outs in the past.
DePasquale was on our rookie list for one year (I assume were talking about the same player TD ???)

This was my first time watching coburg this year and I really liked the look of Foley. Not sure what the view is around the club. Is he pencilled in to play senior football next year?

Anyway, I'm going to get to a few more games just to see how he comes along. Good luck kid!

It makes me cringe to see youngsters like Moore and Foley put in good games while rejects like Fletcher, Houlihan and Nicholls struggle.

With all due respect to Houlihan he has been out with a hamstring injury. In the first two games was named amongst the best. Had he not been injured perhaps may have pressed for selction in the ones.

Hi,
Dean Talbot had a run with both Geelong & Essendon in the mid to late 90s. Since both these teams were pretty well off for key position players. I remember suggesting to Waldron, when he was Richmond's football manager, that we give him a try. He told me that I was either a relative of Dean's or on drugs.
Dean came to Coburg in his late 20s about 3 or 4 years ago, around the year Coburg last made a preliminary final, and has been a servicable player since. I'd guess he'd be in his early 30s now.