Coburg vs Geelong | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg vs Geelong

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
Coburg Tigers v Geelong
Sunday 23rd May
Coburg City Oval at 2.00pm

Coburg Tigers

B: Kellaway Zantuck Raines
HB: Talbot Jorgenson Moore
C: Carlson Dragicevic Roach
HF: Blumfield Morrison Pagan
F: Rogers O'Connor Rodan
R: Marsh Nicholls Tuck
Inter: Darby Rayson Roberts Gilmour Foley
Young Kuret McDonald

Geelong

B: Koulouriotis Foster Slade
HB: Callan Spencer D.Johnson
C: Moloney Mackie S.Byrnes
HF: Spriggs McCarthy J.Byrne
F: Lonergan Playfair S.Johnson
R: Loats Rahilly Bartel
Inter: Blake J.Smith Allan Buckland Cook Greaves
Clark Egan D.Byrne Jordan Oakley O'Dwyer

I presume Marsh, Blumfield and Rodan will travel to Perth. I expect at least 1-2 of them might play.
It would be a big ask for them to fly back and front up Sunday if they don't play in Perth. Especially Marsh when he's so tall.

Coburg Win

Coburg: 4-3, 8-5, 13-13, 15-13-103
Geelong: 4-7, 8-10, 9-11, 14-15-99

Goals:Dragicevic 2, Rodan 2, O'Connor 1, Roach 1, Young 1,
Gilmour 1, Raines 1, Foley 1, Blumfield 1, Carlson 1, Rogers 1,
Morrison 1, Nicholls 1.

Roach's goal was the goal of the day - big run, nice side
step... great goal.

Disapointing that Coburg got out to a 38 point lead
early in the last quarter - but only won by 4 points!
Just scraped it in really.

Gotta go out now ...

Best players (IMO) : Tuck, Foley, Dragicevic, Morrison, Rgers, Raines, Blumfield

Foley and Raines probably turned the game Coburg's way during the third quarter, they were both in the forward line, and were in everything. Foley looks a likely prospect, have been impressed with him the last two weeks.

Tuck started really well, faded out during the third qaurter, but was excellent again in the last. Would like to see him given a go on today's effort.

Tuck was BOG for mine.  He was marking everything.  At one stage in the third quarter he marked the ball on the wing 3-4 times at consecutive contests.  His kicking let him down and he made a few mistakes at times, but he was solid.  He is pretty good in the air.....I wonder why RFC don't try him at CHB.  He's better than any other option we have.  Now that AK is out he will be the obvious replacement.  If he doesn't get a go this week then there's definately other factors coming into play, because on form there would be no-one ahead of him.  Don't expect too much from him if he gets a go.......he's a good ordinary footballer that's a pretty good mark.

I agree with Dragicevicfan regarding Foley and Raines turning the game in the third......they were quite impressive.  Foley continues to impress and will be a player - watch this space - but I was actually also surprised with Raines.  he keeps improving every game he plays and today was probably his best.

However I am very annoyed with Coburg.  Raines, Foley and Gilmour spent the bulk of the first half on the bench......this is a disgrace.  How are the kids gonna develop ?  When they came on they showed alot......especially Foley.  The development of our young guys down at Coburg is very average at best.

Gilmour - struggled.  Needs alot more time to develop his body.  Won't play seniors for a while.  I'd say Raines is developing better than Gilmour.  but Gilmour is younger.

Roach - kicked the goal of the day but overall struggled.  He was puffing quite hard on a few occassions and came off the ground looking stuffed.  I have no doubt that spending so much time on the bench for richmond has sent his fitness backwards.  Needs more full games at Coburg.......don't even think about bringing him back if he's gonna sit on the bench.

Rodan - very average.  Made alot of mistakes.  Must remain at Coburg.

Morrison - average.  Was mostly playing from behind at contests.  I don't know where or how they can play him as he really struggles at CHF in the VFL.

Draga - tried hard but doesn't have what it takes to take the next step IMO.  Lack of pace and skill is what is hurting him.

Rogers and Dunc - Don't even think about elevating these two.  Tried hard and scragged their opponents on a few occassions, but their skill errors were champagne comedy.

Zantuck - very quiet.  Didn't look interested.  Can't possibly get a call up on that performance.

Blumfield - very average.  Very slow and weak at contests.  Struggles to play well at VFL and on that performance should not get a game any time soon.

Moore - didn't do much.  I have doubts over his physical stature when it comes to playing full back for richmond.  Too short and skinny at the moment.  Does read the play well but I doubt that would be sufficient at AFL level.  Maybe a back flank.

Coburg City Oval Sunday May 30, 2:00 pm
Coburg Tigers 4.3 8.5 13.13 15.13 (103)
Geelong 4.7 8.10 9.11 14.15 (99)

Coburg Tigers
Goals: Gilmour 2, Rodan 2, Carlson, Morrison, Nicholls, Rogers, Blumfield, Dragicevic, Foley, Raines, O’Connor, Roach, Young.
Best: O’Connor, Rogers, Tuck, Dragicevic, Rayson, Rodan, Foley, Morrison.
Geelong
Goals: Greaves 3, S. Byrnes 2, Smith 2, Allan 2, J. Byrne, Foster, Loats, McCarthy, Spriggs.
Best: D. Johnson, J. Byrne, Callan, D. Byrne, Koulouriotis.

http://vfl.goal.com.au/Default.asp?pg=results

Best Players for Coburg (what i think) not in any order:

Tuck, Foley, Draga, Raines, O'Conner, Young and Moore

Today i was again impressed with Brad Rayson for Coburg. He reminds me of a Chris Newman type player.

His main problem is probably a lack of size and physical strength. He has impressed me on a number of occasions when i have been to see Coburg.

What are your thoughts Harry, as i know you were there today also

rosy3 said:
Goals: Gilmour 2, Rodan 2, Carlson, Morrison, Nicholls, Rogers, Blumfield, Dragicevic, Foley, Raines, O’Connor, Roach, Young. 
Best: O’Connor, Rogers, Tuck, Dragicevic, Rayson, Rodan, Foley, Morrison.
Hmm, one of Gilmour's goals was actually a Dragga goal!
Gilmour got a free kick in the goal square but Dragga snatched
it and kicked a goal ... advantage being paid.
But in the end... maybe the spotter got it wrong (we were busy stirring the lone Geelong VFL cheer squad member -
the one with the floggers at the Bell Street end).
Stupid us - the Cats nearly won.

My best - Tuck, Rayson, Foley, Dragga, Rogers.

I don't know how Morro("sunshine") can be in the 'best'
-  lead wide for half the game, was behind for a lot of
the time, and his kicking was woeful (off the side of the
boot  a number of times). Rodan had a few of his 'runs'
but was caught once, and took the ball just that bit to
far such that his team mates were well out of position
by the time he disposed of the ball... but he did manage
a goal from one such run. If he's going to do that - he
needs to finish it ...

Zantuck didn't do a real lot.   :(

I can't see a reason why Tuck shouldn't get a run with the
big boys next week.

Roachs goal was awesome!  :D
In the Social Club after the match, one of the guys I was talking to asked one of the players why we almost gave it away? to which he replied-to sh!t you blokes  ;D all in fun of course! There were a couple of slight injuries which let Geelong back in-Roach corked hip and a few others Flood mentioned after the match.

Elly where was ya working today

My Best Today not in any order
Tuck,Dragga,Rogo,Rock,Foley

DragicevicFan said:
Today i was again impressed with Brad Rayson for Coburg. He reminds me of a Chris Newman type player.

His main problem is probably a lack of size and physical strength. He has impressed me on a number of occasions when i have been to see Coburg.

What are your thoughts Harry, as i know you were there today also

Yeah....Rayson had a good game today.  Reads the ball well and very solid in defence.  But as you said he is very slight but does well against the bigger guys.  How old is he BTW ?

Billy Nichols came off injured with what looked like a broken cheek bone.

Coburg holds off Geelong barrage (realfooty)

Coburg holds off Geelong barrage
By Gordon Oldham
May 31, 2004

A late flurry from Geelong was not enough to snatch a win from Coburg, nor could it wipe the smile from the face of Tigers coach David Flood.

The four-point Coburg victory was almost a disastrous loss, after it had held a 38-point lead at the three-minute mark of the last quarter.

The Tigers were struggling to see out the match with a suitable amount of fully fit players, after Billy Nicholls had received a knock to the cheek and was rushed into the rooms during the second quarter. Following that incident, captain Leigh Carlson, key defender Travis Jorgenson and Thomas Roach all required medical attention later in the match.

But even though the Cats were kicking with a strong breeze, were getting plenty of run through the likes of midfielder David Spriggs and had finally managed to stem the dominance of Tiger ruckman Ryan O'Connor, Flood never doubted that his charges would take their win-loss record to 5-3.

"I wasn't worried. They kept working hard. I was a little bit concerned, I suppose, that we could run out of legs but we've beaten a good side," Flood said.

In the west, Port Melbourne asserted its status as one of the best teams in the competition with a comprehensive win over North Ballarat, 18.14 (122) to 10.11 (71).

A blistering seven-goal final term allowed the Borough to take top spot on the ladder from Sandringham.

At Chirnside Park, Springvale upset Werribee 17.15 (117) to 14.11 (95).

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/30/1085855438342.html

Rogers steers Coburg home (HeraldSun)

Rogers steers Coburg home
31 May 2004 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

COBURG was lucky to escape with a four-point win over Geelong as Richmond veteran Matthew Rogers showed solid form at Coburg City Oval yesterday.

The Tigers managed to hold off a fast-finishing Geelong after sacrificing a four-goal three-quarter time lead in a final term littered with costly turnovers.

After dominating the third quarter, Coburg had just two scoring shots to Geelong's nine in the final term.

Despite the last-quarter fade-out, Coburg coach David Flood did not criticise his team's performance against a Geelong side stacked with AFL-listed players.

"I was always a bit concerned that we could run out of legs a little bit, but to the guys credit they kept working hard," Flood said.

"Geelong is a really good side. I think they had 18 (AFL) listed players today and that makes a hell of a difference to the quality.

"So we've beaten a quality side today."

Rogers, 30, was a top performer for the Tigers, collecting 25 possessions and taking 10 marks.

Big man Ryan O'Connor maintained a strong presence for Coburg, while Shane Tuck (30 touches) and Marc Dragicevic (24) were busy.

Former Essendon premiership player Justin Blumfield continued his comeback from a shoulder injury and worked hard for his 17 possessions.

"I think Justin was solid again today," Flood said.

But Coburg's win came at a cost, with former Hawk Billy Nicholls suffering a suspected broken cheekbone in the second quarter.

Aaron Greaves kicked three goals for Geelong while David Johnson, captain James Byrne and Tim Callan were named among the best.

David Spriggs was also in the action in the second half.

Coburg now sits sixth on the ladder, one game clear of the Cats.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9699002%5E19895,00.html

I enjoyed watching the game,my first Coburg game for the year.
I was most impressed by Foley,has great pace and vision and strong hands for a little bloke.I just hope his kicking to position improves a bit.
Tuck was good and works hard and presents well but lm not sure he has what it takes to go to the next level.Hell we may as well try as some guys at present dont belong either.
Blumfield has lost me entirely now. He looked lazy and lethargic and almost like he couldn't care less.Dragged before 3/4 time and l cant believe he had 17 stats....
Rodgers as usual tried hard but looks ridiculously unfit even at VFL level.In the last qtr he was so knackered he couldn't even bend over to pick the ball up!! So he toe pokes it forward to a outnumbered lumbering Ryan O'Conner!!LMAO
Duncs battled on and l hate to say it (as l was a massive fan)the game has passed him.The mind knows,but the body cant take him there and the kicking has got even worse :'(
Roach was good in Cameos,but needs time.He is a bit taller than l assumed and will be a good size for a footballer in 3-4 years and may well be a good player for us.
Rodan ran around in circles and got himself lost...l thought he was gonna be buried alive when that guy bumped him near the end of the game...,hes way outta touch ATM.
Zantuck also didn't do as well as l hoped,the fact he couldn't make the distance from 15 out to win the game was a worry!
If the gingernut for the cats had have kicked straight he would have made Ty look silly.
Rayson is a bit light and panicked a bit when the pressure was on,not sure about him.
Raines and Gilmour are light too,but Raines looks like he has 'smarts' and good disposal which is a bonus.
Baktiger l was laughing my arse off at the lone cheer squad guy for Geelong- Aged about 40,wearing boat shoes and socks,GFC shorts and jumper and waving 2 floggers chanting by himself!! I spat my beer out about 4 times howling with laughter.
A few nuffies still get to the VFL to make the day a bit of a laugh!