Coburg Win | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg Win

Coburg won by a point at Coburg oval where it was fairly windy. The team kicking with the wind easily won each quarter and at 3/4 time Coburg were up by about 4 (?) goals but Frankston kicked back in the last and actually hit the lead with a few minutes remaining when Shane Tuck took a mark in about 15-20 metres out and kicked what was the winning goal. I didn't watch all of the game (i was in and out all day) but Houlihan kicked a few, Hilton was good, Marsh too, Dragga got a lot of the ball, Raines, Kuret, Foley all promising again.

Dean Talbot b.o.g.

It was a very strong wind but Coburg didn't look that good skills wise. We had 15 AFL players for us against a stand alone VFL team which was interesting.

Rory had a lot of it at both ends but made a couple of silly decisions and a couple of pretty dodgy looking kicks.

Houlihan was good. I think he kicked 4-5 goals and took a couple of good marks. Another "recycled" player in Fletcher was ok too.

I don't think Daniel Jackson was on all that much but he took 2 nice marks in the last quarter.

Dragga isn't doing his chances for being elevated any harm. I wonder if he'll get a chance.

I thought Zantuck was ordinary, though it didn't help that he was left to play on Goliath in the last quarter. Could have cost us the game.

Rogers didn't do much.

Tuck did some nice things but I wouldn't think played a game demanding senior selection.

Morrison went off with a shoulder injury but came back on.

Can't remember much else at the moment. There didn't seem to be too many who put their hand up for senior selection really.

coburg

Hi everyone, just saw the last quarter of our match against Frankston. Very lucky to win the game, a great mark by Tuck to win it for us. He looks likely. What on earth is going on with Zantuck? He nearly won Frankston the game, getting beaten by a no-name. If he wants a game in the seniors, which seems highly unlikely, he would want to perform now which also looks like never happening. Houlihan kicks 5, I hope the match committee don't get sucked in and pick him next week!

Re: coburg

Thanks tigerstrang. I'll move this thread to the Coburg board and merge it with another thread where the game is already being discussed.

I saw bits and pieces of it on Tv and thought that Coburg were lucky to win and were unimpressive given the number of AFL listed players that were playing.

Some dodgy umpiring decisions during the game. I think it at one stage i think it was 16 to 7 in favour of Frankston, and I don't think it got any better.

The skills at times we're shocking, can't half tell the side was mainly richmond players as we just seemed to keep turning the ball over ;)

Zanners was ok in the first half but when he was put on the man mountain he didn't stand a chance. He was doing the kick ins, did ok but is it just me or does it sometimes seem he would rather be elsewhere?

Hilton yeah ok I suppose, stuffed up and give away some stupid free kicks (which had me hurling abuse at the tv ;D)

Houlihan, kicked 5. Still dont want him in the seniors though.

Foley gave away a stupid 50m penalty but was ok for the rest of the time.

Jackson did well in the short time he was on.

Rogers few touches, thank god we didn't put him the seniors.

Roach did a few good things, stuffed up a few things but was under the pump when he did it so we'll forgive him.

Raines was ok no stuff ups that I remember.

Dragga did well especially during the 3rd Qtr

Marsh was reasonable although when Cleary said he was mobile i nearly wet my pants laughing. Like watching the game in slow motion.

Morro hurt his shoulder, after Hilton landed on it trying to take a screamer. Which reminds me of another thing that Hilton did that p!ssed me off. Stop trying to take hangers every time you go for a mark!

Tuck, kicked the winner for us. I was impressed with his first half especially.

Fletcher I thought was average at best.

Gilmour was ok, although his opponent got away from him more often than I'd like.

Weller was quiet all game.

played flat most of the match and not until we lost the lead in the last qtr did we finally take risks and run with the ball with some system.
1st time look at jackson:took some fine marks in the last.looks promising.
gilmour played batter as the game went on.
foley those who said he should be promoted have no idea.he,s ben moore mark 2.

I agree Johnon2richo--I was very dissapointed to see Foley for the first time.He makes Milne look big.Really up against it with a body like that to hope to play AFL.

The 2nd time I've seen Jackson.I reckon he looks really exciting.We have him listed at 187cm,I reckon he must be taller than that.probably still growing.

Tuck is great.Very balanced.22 possessions and good hands.Sure deserves to play 1sts IMO.HBF would be perfect for him.

Good to see Rogers there. ;D

Zantuck is a disgrace.He didn't look interested at all.Doesn't deserve to be promoted on that effort.

Houlahan played well which is a worry lol.Will probably get promoted.

Flether ordinary,Weller unsighted.Morrisson i quite like but doesn't deserve a game on that effort.

My Best: (IN NO ORDER): Hilton (he has been tried and tried by the seniors and hasn't really performed, keep him at Coburg, Houlihan (5 goals) , Talbot (didn't do much with the footy though), Carlson and Marshy. No others really deserved to be in the best.

TigersGoddess said:
Some dodgy umpiring decisions during the game. I think it at one stage i think it was 16 to 7 in favour of Frankston, and I don't think it got any better.

;D ;D Our most favourite VFL umpire stood out again in that
regard... (Number 1 if you're interested!) Then there was
that Foley goal that the goal ump said was touched.

From the footballvic site

Coburg City Oval Saturday June 12, 1:10 pm
Coburg Tigers 5.2 5.6 10.8 11.9 (75)
Frankston 1.0 6.3 7.5 11.8 (74)

Coburg Tigers
Goals: Houlihan 5, Tuck 2, Pagan, Rogers, Hilton, Foley
Best: Talbot, Hilton, Houlihan, Zantuck, Dragicevic, Marsh, Kuret

Frankston
Goals: Clarke 4, Shipp 3, Phibbs 2, Berry, Beasy
Best: Roberts, Clarke, Shipp, Ablett, Fortnam, Odell

Couldnt see much from the kiosk, but managed to watch the last 5 minutes! Great match-2 heart stoppers in a row ;)

I get annoyed to see all the bagging of Houlihan. We need players who can kick goals and on a previous thread pointed out he IS the second most accurate at Tigerland.
His skills are better than most in the firsts and has had a bad year with injury. he can mark and kick but I believe we have played Adam in the wrong position - UPFIELD not forward. he would make a good foil for Richo and should be played forward pocket or HFF.
I am biased as I am his player president but glad to see him back today after a bad run of injuries.
All those who are bagging him - could he be any worse than 14 other very poor players in the firsts from last week or the week before or the one before that....
I for one will be glad to see him back in the firsts - ONLY deep in our forward line

Yep, TG and Evo pretty well summed it up.

I was surprised at how small Foley is. Little concerned at how Coburg seem to play so much like Richmond. Bit disappointed with Roach's game.

Thought Carlson went ok.

Zantuck's body language not good. On today's showing I don't see any of them worthy of selection, but then thinking about the Richmond team . . . Was surprised when they said Coburg totalled 15 AFL players and how they would run all over this part-time team (Frankston) in the last quarter but reckon they were lucky to come out with the win!

They interviewed Gilmour's father and grandfather at half-time and that was one of the highlights which doesn't say much for the standard of the game. (and I watch a lot of VFL footy on the box)

Fletcher had a heap of it and was actually pretty good. Gilmour ok for a kid only 17. Jackson showed enough to persist with. Dragga actuallywas very good. Rogers woeful, Foley good. Houlahoop good, Hilton embarrrassing with his attempts to take mark of the day every time and his head high tackles are shocking. Did get it a bit though.

VFL senior results, June 12
13 June 2004 Sunday Herald Sun

Saturday's senior results

COBURG 5.2 5.6 10.8 11.9 (75)
FRANKSTON 1.0 6.3 7.5 11.8 (74)
Goals: Coburg: Houlihan 5 Tuck 2 Pagan Rogers Hilton Foley. Frankston: Clarke 4 Shipp 3 Phibbs 2 Berry Beasy.
Best: Coburg: Talbot Hilton Houlihan Zantuck Dragicevic Marsh Kuret. Frankston: Roberts Clarke Shipp Ablett Fortnam Odell.
Reports: Nil. At Coburg.

Well i didn't watch the game, but Zantuck is down as 4th best and no mention of Tuck ???