Cogs and Johno Great, but Cptn Campbell Still the man | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cogs and Johno Great, but Cptn Campbell Still the man

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
I just visited richmond's AFL website and was surprised to see the results of a poll currently up.

The question was 'Which current Richmomd player can we least afford to have out injured right now?'

The options were Stafford, Richo, Campbell Coghlan and Johnson.

I like 52% of the voters picked Stafford, and rightly so because all our other ruckman are out injured and hes in career best form. Also he can play forward as well.

But I was shocked to see that only 7% picked our best midfielder and our beloved captain Wayne Campbell. He is not only our captain, but was (just) our best midfielder before he went down injured and been our only consistant midfielder for years.

While he got the least votes, Coughlan and Johnson received roughly twice the amount of votes. They have both been great this year but Campbell is still easily our best midfielder, remembering that hes the one getting tagged week-in week-out, allowing the other midfielders to roam free.

Also those of you who keep saying Campbell should be played on the half back flank, not the midfield for various reasons certainly have no idea about football.
:-X

Go No9, where would we be without you.
(?the worst thing is I have a feeling a fair group of other players are getting paid more than him?)
Thoughts

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
but on a serious note.cambo like in the afl is very underated amongst tiger supporters. i guess it comes back to a few things from the past.
he will always be remebered as the "fab 4" who was always going to bring success to the club and failed.
and also nearly walking out of the club when in hindsight he did both himself and the club a huge favor.
has respected the bloke ever since.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Nothing against Campbo at all, but I can understand people voting for Cogs and Johnno as well.

They play differently to Campbo imo, they do the hard things that Campbo isn't always known for.

They've added toughness to the midfield that we haven't seen for years.

They get in and get the ball rather than be in a position to receive it.

I don't mean that as any critisism. A team needs all kind of players and Campbo plays his part very well.

I don't know who I'd vote for out of the three.

I'm just happy we have 3 midfielders who all put in to make Richmond a better team.

Go Tiges!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Tigerland, I was mystified by the results on the tiger poll, but I wasn't surprised. Campbell has never been popular amongst the Tiger faithful. It has puzzled me for ten years now, and I still can't understand why that is.

To me its been blatantly obvious that he has been the best player this club has had for at least the last 20 years. Nevertheless somebody who steps into the fold and plays 9 games for the club (Johnson) seems to garner more respect than Wayne has garnered in 250 + games service for the club. Incredible.

No doubt Johnson and Coughlan have added toughness to our midfield, but i would be interested to know how they would have gone taking the best tagger every week and playing with a sub-standard midfield, as Cambo has done for ten years.

Lets DISREGARD WHAT CAMPBELL HAS DONE CONSISTENTLY FOR TEN YEARS and look at what has occured this year. Despite his reputation as being soft, he has taken the best tagger every week he has played and has still managed to average as many hard ball gets per game as what Coughlan has, and more than what Johnson has. He also has averaged more clearances per game than Coughlan and Johnson have. Coughlan has averaged more tackles, but Campbell is on par with Johnson with tackles per game. Campbell has got more disposals than both Coughlan or Johnson per game this year.

Campbell's skills are better than Coughlan's and they are at least on par with Johnson's. Campbell has been around longer, has more experience and (for the moment at least) has better leadership qualities than either Johnson or Coughlan. So I know which player I'd choose as the one we can least afford to be without.

I think people have taken Campbell for granted for far too long at Richmond and i'm afraid it will continue to be that way. If you haven't understood why he has been either the best or second best player for 7 years at Richmond (4 best and fairest, 3 runner ups) then you never will. If Ottens and Richardson were on that poll, then Campbell would have struggled to receive a vote.

Maybe if he was a bit better looking, had blonde hair and had more of an extroverted personality he would have got more credit for what he has done. Instead he is serious, contemplative and doesn't exude the larrikan spirit which no doubt tiger supporters love. Anyway...

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
You're a breath of fresh air JohnF :)

Seriously though it has to do with the blonde hair. Knights had it, Johnson has it and Coughlan has it.But

I'm sure that whenever Campbell's feeling a bit down because he's getting no love from the tiger ferals he walks into his trophy room a sees the 4 B&F's under 4 seperate coaches, and is comforted by the fact that at least those in the know appreciate his work.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well said JF. I agree totally! I would say Campbell has kicked more crucial goals in pressure situations for this club than anyone else in the past 10 years. Sure He's not an in and under player like Cogs but if there's a goal to be kicked to win a match I'd give him the ball. It would also be interesting the ammount of "effective" Possessions he's had over the years. I'm sure he'd be right up there!

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
Nicely said John F, completely agree with you. our best and most underrated player.

Oh, the thing about Campo nearly leaving the club I wouldnt held that against him. He was the only one who tried in the 1995 Prelim Final, and when he reminded the players of how soft they were in that game Bullus stood up and punched his lights out.(And Thats True!!)
Thats when he decided to leave.

Oh BTW, there must be a fare few tiger supporters who go the other way (if you know what I mean?) if the reason he doesnt get the popular votes because hes not 'Blond and Great Looking'.

And Dean 3, its not just about the post, that just added the last drop of fuel to the fire for me. When he retures in 2-3 years on starts to drop of through age, most of you will miss Wayne way more than you think!

'I expect to see alot of Wayne no9 Campbell banners when he returns from injury ;D

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I dont hold anything against Cambo for walking out in 99, he decided to make a stand because the club was going nowhere

he wanted what was best for the club, and his walk out was one of the key reasons for the off field changes that were made

he has easily been the best player i've seen play for Richmond, i'm 20 now, and have reasonable memories back til 1991-1992

Totally underrated, the ultimate professional, and a great captain. The fact he was overlooked for team of the century still confuses me

GO CAMBO

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Cambo has carried our midfield since 1995, and although a natural receiving player, started as a wingman, he has adapted fairly well and won alot of his own ball in recent years.

He is rarely beaten in the air, and his skills are better than he is credited for. Alot of his turnovers would come from his quick kicks from the clearances.

And he is definately the man i'd want kicking for us after the siren. Always kicks the big goals when we need them.

once again, GO CAMBO

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
tigerland said:
Oh, the thing about Campo nearly leaving the club I wouldnt held that against him. He was the only one who tried in the 1995 Prelim Final, and when he reminded the players of how soft they were in that game Bullus stood up and punched his lights out.(And Thats True!!)
Thats when he decided to leave.

I've never heard that before TL, where did you get that bit of information from?

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
TigersGoddess said:
Well it's decided then. I'll head over to the club tomorrow with a bottle of peroxide for Campbo. Bear in mind that Cogs will still be more attractive ;D

Won't do any good TigersGoddess, the man's 30 years old and still gets pimples. :eek: LMAOO! He'll just end up looking like that *smile* Ackermanis.

Just have something to say about the Tiger Team of the Century: I was very disappointed that Matthew Knights and Matthew Richardson were picked before him. Goes to show that the selectors (and most Richmond supporters no doubt) reward flair over hard work.

It also goes to show up that people have rather selective memories. People remember the great Richo performances, the great Knighter performances, but disregard the number of times they have gone missing. Wayne hasn't played as many outstanding games as Knighter or Richo, but he has been there every week giving a 7 out of 10 performance. Richo might pull a 10 out of the bag, and then he's liable to have two 3's.

My criteria heavily favours playing to your potential every week, and no one comes close to doing that at Richmond other than Campbell.

A few people here must be sick of me harping on about Wayne, so i'll stop.

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
"Oh, the thing about Campo nearly leaving the club I wouldnt held that against him. He was the only one who tried in the 1995 Prelim Final, and when he reminded the players of how soft they were in that game Bullus stood up and punched his lights out.(And Thats True!!)
Thats when he decided to leave."

I've never heard that before TL, where did you get that bit of information from?

Tigerfurious, I heard that about Campbell and Bullis last year. One of my teachers at uni is an ex-Richmond recruiting officer who was at Richmond at the time.
He is now a victorian based recruiting mannager for an interstate club.