COULD ROYCE HART HAVE PLAYED IN 1980?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

COULD ROYCE HART HAVE PLAYED IN 1980??

23.21.159 said:
Phantom,
If you're talking about the game I think you mean, then it was 1977, Rd 2 - I featured that game in the "My Top 5 Games" thread on the "Blast from the Past" board.
Go to this thread:
http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2051.0
bottom of page 1.

I am 41. I was recently talking to a supposed "footy head" 10 years my junior. Collingwood fan. When he heard I barracked for Richmond he asked me to name some of the great players from the 67-82 era. I rattled some off. He had NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THEM ! Not even ROYCE HART!!! I couldn't believe it. The bloke was picked in the hardest position (CHF) in the AFL's Team of the Century. Fair enough, the fagpie was born in about 1973 but it would be like me never having heard of John Coleman.

Says it all about Collingwood people.

Don't be too hard on them alone, I know of a still "prominent" Richmond person who, (about 6 years ago), read out Royce's name in a list of guests at a function without even acknowledging him as one of the club's - and the VFL's - greatest ever players.

Still, these sort of things didn't seem to matter to a lot of Richmond people recently.........

23.21.159 said:
Phantom,
If you're talking about the game I think you mean, then it was 1977, Rd 2 - I featured that game in the "My Top 5 Games" thread on the "Blast from the Past" board.
Go to this thread:
http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2051.0
bottom of page 1.

I am 41. I was recently talking to a supposed "footy head" 10 years my junior. Collingwood fan. When he heard I barracked for Richmond he asked me to name some of the great players from the 67-82 era. I rattled some off. He had NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THEM ! Not even ROYCE HART!!! I couldn't believe it. The bloke was picked in the hardest position (CHF) in the AFL's Team of the Century. Fair enough, the fagpie was born in about 1973 but it would be like me never having heard of John Coleman.

Says it all about Collingwood people.

Many thanks for that. For some reason I remember being on a school bus listening to it on the radio then watching later on the TV replay.

I can understand why your friend does not know much about another team's football prior to his time.
In my case my knowledge of other teams' histories prior to '67 tends to be far more sketchy than '67 and after. Fortunately it is part of my makeup that I've spent time reading and learning about past histories of all types. The events that happen in our conscious lifetime have a far more profound effect on us. We remember them better.

[quote author=Phantom

Many thanks for that. For some reason I remember being on a school bus listening to it on the radio then watching later on the TV replay.

Phantom, You went to school on a weekend? Or was it detention? ;D

serpico_66 said:
[quote author=Phantom

Phantom, You went to school on a weekend? Or was it detention?  ;D

I really can't remember specifically. If the game was played on a Monday I may have been at school. It could have been a weekend school football match for us. Frankly, I can't remember that specific incident almost 30 years ago except that I remember listening to the radio on the school bus and watching the TV replay.

All I can say is that there are only a few sportsman who get me misty eyed.... and Royce Hart is one of those people... He is to Richmond what Ali is to boxing. A legend beyond belief and larger than life.

Indeed Wozman.He was the reason i decided to barrack for Richmond.

...I think the Royce legend was no doubt expanded on by my father. But a bloke that holds down CHF in 4 Premierships cannot be ignored. By far the greatest Tiger IMO. There should be an honorary Royce Hart Day / Game and the great man should be brought back to the club as OFTEN as possible. If KB is not keen on the club, then why not bring back our GREATEST all the time.

Great that Roycey was on the field, truth is he was terrible on TV. Did anyone see his ad for some brekkie cereal (I think). He read it straight off a cue card and was like a robot.

Just ask Tommy what he thought of Royce. It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I hear him talking about Royce (the player not the brekkie cereal version ;D)

He would still have to be one of the all time greats to ever pull on the boots IMHO.

Some of my first memories of being a Tiger supporter were about having the number 4 stitched on my much loved Tigers Jumper.

Bring on the next Royce I say.

Hello,

In respect to the Might Wozman's post, I am of the opinion that Royce is happy living in Tasmania, and rarely appears at Tiger functions.

rhett bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

rbartlett said:
Hello,

In respect to the Might Wozman's post, I am of the opinion that Royce is happy living in Tasmania, and rarely appears at Tiger functions.

rhett bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

Thanks Rhett. The club should make a concerted effort to bring him over at least once a year. He is a living immortal and while he is young (ish), should be recognised regularly as the greatest (IMO) this club has produced...

You've missed the opportunity to draft the next Royce Hart.

Buddy Franklin, at 190cm plus, athleticism and a booming LF kick, sounds like a close comparison to Royce.

....Buddy is definitely a chance, but Roughead is a meat and potatoes key position player...  You would have been better off having Franklin and Tambling ...and you know it... :)

VDBF,

Nice try, nice stir, but Franklin will not be the next Royce Hart.

Are you Hawks calling him the new Brereton ? Unless he is twice as good as Brereton he won't ne half as good as Hart.

The Mighty Wozman said:
....Buddy is definitely a chance, but Roughead is a meat and potatoes key position player...  You would have been better off having Franklin and Tambling ...and you know it... :)

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be BigHawk from HHQ's who uses the same description with regards Roughead. I know that others have suggested that you and he are the same.

Your wrong about me knowing they should have picked Tambling. I reckon Tambling is going to be a fine player immediately but I expect the upside on Deledio, Franklin and Griffen to be higher.

For mine if I had picks 2,5 &7 I would have selected Griffen, Franklin and Meeson. I reckon Griffen to be the pick of the bunch; he has the build of a modern midfielder; beautiful deliverer and with leadership ability.

...for the umpteenth time, I am not the Big "bloody" Hawk. He cut and pasted me during trade period .... please, if I wrote on HHQ I would go on there as a transparent Richmond supporter. ;D

My father was a huge Hart fan, he saw him play his first game and still says that sometimes you just see a player and you know that they are going to be great, Royce ws one of them. It is to my eternal regret that I can only remember seeing him towards the end of his career and never saw him at the height of his powers.

The Mighty Wozman said:
...for the umpteenth time, I am not the Big "bloody" Hawk.  He cut and pasted me during trade period ....  please, if I wrote on HHQ I would go on there as a transparent Richmond supporter.  ;D

Very touchy Wozza, you're acting like being fingered as the one who farted in the lift at work. ;D

CMT, I have said this before but as a secondary teacher I detest plagiarism. To be accused of such by a Hawthorn fan pi**es me off... ::)