Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Jesus Christ. I thought Starc must have been injured. Nope, they dropped him for Kane Richardson. One of the dumbest selection moves I can recall. Idiocy.
Yeh you need to take wickets yet leave out your most destructive wicket taker. Especially given the minnow nations generally struggle with express pace and swing.

Moronic.

Yeh you need to take wickets yet leave out your most destructive wicket taker. Especially given the minnow nations generally struggle with express pace and swing.

Moronic.
It's not like he ripped through Ireland's top order a few days earlier or anything.

The selectors totally blew this World Cup. Stuck with too many out of form players including the captain, failed to read that swing was a weapon (as Leysy said Jhye Richardson should have come in for Cummins), and with Green in the side instead of Finch, probably should have gone with Agar as an additional spinner at times.

Finch should do the honourable thing and step down. He's a spent force. Wade too. Finch turns 36 in 11 days, Wade 35 next month. Time to move on. Warner is 36 but has looked in ripping nick and is classes above those two so he can stay.

Kane Richardson is in the same boat as Sean Abbott for me. Very good at the level below, not quite up to international level.

Reactions: 1 user
Too many bitsers in the top-order as well. Australia needs to find some batsmen who can hit, instead of hitters who can bat (Marsh, Stoinis, David). Not sure we have the talent to win without arguably the three best batsmen in the country (Smith, Labuschagne, Khawaja).

I’ve gone off cricket quite a bit, partly due to the over saturation of the game now that hit and giggle is all the rage.
Yes, gone are my days of watching, listening, reading etc with everything to do with Australian cricket.
I dunno, there's a couple of unlikable blokes in that team.... with Warner leading the pack, who is a particularly polarizing figure for many who have loved the game.
Bit of a zero care factor for me now.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, gone are my days of watching, listening, reading etc with everything to do with Australian cricket.
I dunno, there's a couple of unlikable blokes in that team.... with Warner leading the pack, who is a particularly polarizing figure for many who have loved the game.
Bit of a zero care factor for me now.
much the same, haven't watched a minute of the hit & giggle

Reactions: 3 users
It's not like he ripped through Ireland's top order a few days earlier or anything.

The selectors totally blew this World Cup. Stuck with too many out of form players including the captain, failed to read that swing was a weapon (as Leysy said Jhye Richardson should have come in for Cummins), and with Green in the side instead of Finch, probably should have gone with Agar as an additional spinner at times.

Finch should do the honourable thing and step down. He's a spent force. Wade too. Finch turns 36 in 11 days, Wade 35 next month. Time to move on. Warner is 36 but has looked in ripping nick and is classes above those two so he can stay.

Kane Richardson is in the same boat as Sean Abbott for me. Very good at the level below, not quite up to international level.
Not sure Jhye Richardson is at his best in limited over cricket but he is definitely a test class fast bowler.
AJ Tye is a proven commodity in T20, I’d play him.
Zampa is our best T20 bowler by far at the moment and to me playing 2 spinners has proven a good choice in the 20 over game. Ashton Agar should have been playing ahead of one of the quicks imo.

Not sure Jhye Richardson is at his best in limited over cricket but he is definitely a test class fast bowler.
AJ Tye is a proven commodity in T20, I’d play him.
Zampa is our best T20 bowler by far at the moment and to me playing 2 spinners has proven a good choice in the 20 over game. Ashton Agar should have been playing ahead of one of the quicks imo.
Richardson is a high quality right-arm outswing bowler. They're valauble whatever the format, and lacking in our current team. As good as they are, Cummins and Hazlewood are too similar. Tye not for me.

Richardson is a high quality right-arm outswing bowler. They're valauble whatever the format, and lacking in our current team. As good as they are, Cummins and Hazlewood are too similar. Tye not for me.
I’m only saying that J. Richardson’s record is much better at a 1st class level than it is in limited overs cricket, tends to leak runs. To me if he plays in the T20 or 50 over side it is instead of Starc as both are strike bowlers who can also go for runs.
Whether it is Tye or someone else we need a death bowler who has the 20 over variations. Slow balls, back of the hand etc. None of Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood or either of the Richardsons have that. We are too predictable for the hitters.
I also don’t see how we can have both Maxwell and David in the team. Agree on Finch and Wade going but also Steve Smith is not a 20 over batsman.
This 20 over team had more holes than Swiss cheese. Missing the finals was probably a true reflection of where it was.

The T20 has been great. Not sure why more people aren't watching. I can't undersrand why the ICC doesn't promote more test cricket amongst the minnows.

Unless Sri Lanka beats England tomorrow, Australia is out of the T20 World Cup. Another ordinary performance tonight. Barely escaped with a win over Afghanistan.

Hopefully we never see Finch, Wade or Kane Richardson play for Australia again. Serious questions need to be asked of George Bailey's selection panel as well.

No mention of McDonald?

Langer won a 20 over World Cup in Dubai just 12 months ago, yet McDonald can't get the same squad past the group stages at home.

That is a massive drop and he is essentially the one major change in that time.

We also looked poorly organised, unsettled and players not relaxed or enjoying themselves, both in lead-up games and in the Cup itself.

That is on the coach.

No mention of McDonald?

Langer won a 20 over World Cup in Dubai just 12 months ago, yet McDonald can't get the same squad past the group stages at home.

That is a massive drop and he is essentially the one major change in that time.

We also looked poorly organised, unsettled and players not relaxed or enjoying themselves, both in lead-up games and in the Cup itself.

That is on the coach.
What about gorgeous George? The selections were woeful.

As much as I'd like to lay the boots in to support JL, I think it's pretty hard to judge a coach on T20 performance, it's a very unpredictable game.

There's also the issue that generally speaking, if you want to win a cricket world cup, don't host it.
Yeh, and we only lost one game. Not sure it's a knives out type result.

Aussies need new blood, youth in all forms of cricket, especially T20 & ODi, but don't think our domestic structure & administration offer much encouragement. Other nations seem well ahead of us.

Aussies need new blood, youth in all forms of cricket, especially T20 & ODi, but don't think our domestic structure & administration offer much encouragement. Other nations seem well ahead of us.
The upper crust of Australian Cricket throughout it's history has been a very entitled bunch.
The selectors hang with the older boys for too long and this stifles development and delays the 'new blood'. .... imo ...
I think the last 2 decades have been particularly bad with this in mind.

I’ve gone off cricket quite a bit, partly due to the over saturation of the game now that hit and giggle is all the rage.
Just a question for those in the know, how has Australia gone in general since the departure of Langer?
I've gone off cricket altogether another game ruined by the body politik, and hit and giggle.

I find this bunch of Australian Cricketers, quite unlikeable with Cummins the biggest virtue signaling clown of them all.

He's dead to me as is this team.

What they did to JL sealed the deal for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I find this bunch of Australian Cricketers, quite unlikeable with Cummins the biggest virtue signaling clown of them all.

So by calling him virtue signalling you're saying he doesn't actually believe what he's standing up for? I personally think he's actually quite admirable in standing up for his beliefs. He probably shouldn;t have played in the T20 World Cup but thats hardly his fault.