Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You're not listening.

Hitting the stumps undoubtedly, emphatically, unequivocally. Cold hard fact. As crinonfo, not only me, smashing into them.

Hit him outside the line, only just.

Ump gives him out, it's out. That's a fact.

If it hit him a foot outside the line , even half a foot, I'd agree fully.

It's not completely irrelevant where the ball goes. As above, it can depend on other factors, as above, and also if the batsman offered a shot. Foot outside line yes. Only just but hitting the stumps and given out no.

On the howler thing, lm not sure how much clearer I can be. I don't disagree with you, but I look at it differently. Technically a not a howler, morally a howler. Ump could have given it out, and IMO should have. We disagree. That's fine, that's one of the reasons why cricket is interesting.

Disagree on the number 1 question too.

Also I generally agree re gatting ball, it would not have been out, but I don't think it's cut and dried as you. You could argue MG didn't offer a shot. But its apples and oranges in any case, it would have hit MG a foot outside the line, it hit Salty a bees *smile* outside the line.

Sorry but this is where you are wrong.

For LBW, the 1st thing to check is where the ball pitches, then where it impacts and finally where the ball is tracking towards the stumps. This is and has always been the method.

Should the ball not pitch in line, then they go no further, because it doesn't matter where the impact is, or where the ball ends up.
If it pitches in line, it then checks where the impact is, again if its outside the line, then it doesn't matter where the ball ends up.

The last thing to check is always whether it is hitting the stumps. This is the process of the DRS but also of the onfield umpire making the decision, so yes, if it pitches outside or impacts outside, then no one cares where the ball ends up (hitting the stumps or not) because it does not matter.

Yes if the ump gives him out, then he's out. You wouldn't have heard me complain about it, thats the rules. You are the only 1 arguing and complaining about it, and it seems from your last statement thats because you are letting emotion get in the way, clearly that "salty" comment at Buttler (I don't even understand where it comes from, trying to infer Buttler is salty and complaining about stuff) suggests that you don't like England and are biased in terms of your viewing of this incident despite there being multiple times over the years of this exact same thing occurring.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry but this is where you are wrong.

For LBW, the 1st thing to check is where the ball pitches, then where it impacts and finally where the ball is tracking towards the stumps. This is and has always been the method.

Should the ball not pitch in line, then they go no further, because it doesn't matter where the impact is, or where the ball ends up.
If it pitches in line, it then checks where the impact is, again if its outside the line, then it doesn't matter where the ball ends up.

The last thing to check is always whether it is hitting the stumps. This is the process of the DRS but also of the onfield umpire making the decision, so yes, if it pitches outside or impacts outside, then no one cares where the ball ends up (hitting the stumps or not) because it does not matter.

Yes if the ump gives him out, then he's out. You wouldn't have heard me complain about it, thats the rules. You are the only 1 arguing and complaining about it, and it seems from your last statement thats because you are letting emotion get in the way, clearly that "salty" comment at Buttler (I don't even understand where it comes from, trying to infer Buttler is salty and complaining about stuff) suggests that you don't like England and are biased in terms of your viewing of this incident despite there being multiple times over the years of this exact same thing occurring.
No need to apologise Posh old bean, I'm not emotional, I'm just enjoying the debate. Salty was the batsman, Phil Salt, wasn't Butler. (They should bring back Onions ha ha, and Lamb, just need some Rosemary, sorry I'll quit while I'm behind))

And I just don't agree re if thats the first thing. It might be for some umps in some cases, but like most things it depends.

Generally, and its only MO and wouldn't be true for all umps in all cases, you'd think 'thats hitting the stumps I reckon.. OK, in line? did he hit it? did he offer a shot?'

You're acting like my take is whackyland, yet you agree if the ump had given it out it would have stayed out. By definition, that is not whackyland. we basically agree on the substance, just not the style.

Last edited:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Umps adjudicate the rules as written they get defended, simple really.

DS
Ump gives it out, DRS says umps call, out
Ump gives it not out, DRS says umps call, not out

Yes that is pretty simple. Its not the first time its happened, and won't be the last.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Ump gives it out, DRS says umps call, out
Ump gives it not out, DRS says umps call, not out

Yes that is pretty simple. Its not the first time its happened, and won't be the last.

Ump calls a goal then can still be referred to arc
If arc has definitive evidence can overrule
If arc refs mates have money on line can decide if evidence is definitive

Tigersnake on the reverse arc wanting to back in an incorrect call so it would stand.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ump calls a goal then can still be referred to arc
If arc has definitive evidence can overrule
If arc refs mates have money on line can decide if evidence is definitive

Tigersnake on the reverse arc wanting to back in an incorrect call so it would stand.
nuh, the opposite.

not out, technically correct
out, technically (within margin for error) and morally correct.

"Smashing into the stumps"
Only just outside the line.

Only my opinion.

Last edited:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
well, was starting to think I might have been taking crazy pills. Playing a lone hand here. Against a few who didn't see the incident too. That's fine, all good, sweet as.

Anyway, seems I am most definitely not on my Pat Malone, plenty of support from both sides, and few different views again. Thats not to say I'm right of course, but I do have support. check it out, in particular the replies which has a zoom of how close the 'not in line' was:

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No need to apologise Posh old bean, I'm not emotional, I'm just enjoying the debate. Salty was the batsman, Phil Salt, wasn't Butler. (They should bring back Onions ha ha, and Lamb, just need some Rosemary, sorry I'll quit while I'm behind))

And I just don't agree re if thats the first thing. It might be for some umps in some cases, but like most things it depends.

Generally, and its only MO and wouldn't be true for all umps in all cases, you'd think 'thats hitting the stumps I reckon.. OK, in line? did he hit it? did he offer a shot?'

You're acting like my take is whackyland, yet you agree if the ump had given it out it would have stayed out. By definition, that is not whackyland. we basically agree on the substance, just not the style.

Haha I take that back. I don't know why i thought it was Buttler. I get your comment on Salt. Stupid name by the way, should have called him Table.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
well, was starting to think I might have been taking crazy pills. Playing a lone hand here. Against a few who didn't see the incident too. That's fine, all good, sweet as.

Anyway, seems I am most definitely not on my Pat Malone, plenty of support from both sides, and few different views again. Thats not to say I'm right of course, but I do have support. check it out, in particular the replies which has a zoom of how close the 'not in line' was:

It’s definitely close.

The argument is purely about whether it hit in line or outside the line though. I guess you are arguing whether the very edge of the ball is over the line of the very edge of the leg stump or not.

I’d lean to no but it’s tight as.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I reckon you have you answer there Tigersnake.

I didn't see it, but with the split opinions it would be fair to apply the unwritten law of cricket; that the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon you have you answer there Tigersnake.

I didn't see it, but with the split opinions it would be fair to apply the unwritten law of cricket; that the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt.
I know what my answer is. Others have a different one.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
More odd scheduling by CA. There’s an ODI on at the AO with a very sparse crowd. A little embarrassing as Gilly tries to beat it up a bit. “Great crowd atmosphere here” as the camera pans around empty stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
More odd scheduling by CA. There’s an ODI on at the SCG with a very sparse crowd. A little embarrassing as Gilly tries to beat it up a bit. “Great crowd atmosphere here” as the camera pans around empty stands.

Aussies should comfortably beat England today. With the T20 final last week, we've rested a lot of players. Looks a weak England side.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
More odd scheduling by CA. There’s an ODI on at the AO with a very sparse crowd. A little embarrassing as Gilly tries to beat it up a bit. “Great crowd atmosphere here” as the camera pans around empty stands.

Who knew the ODIs had started?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Aussies should comfortably beat England today. With the T20 final last week, we've rested a lot of players. Looks a weak England side.

Pretty good score from that also ran England team. I think Australia will be a bit disappointed that we managed to post 287 from where we were with pretty much Australias premier bowling attack (bar Hazlewood).

You'd expect the Aussie batsmen to score well against this England bowling attack though. I think Stone and Jordan might trouble them, but they should bat comfortably against the others.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Not sure what others think about this, but to me this is pathetic journalism.

Neither Rashid nor Ali have complained about this, and actually said they support it, yet this (and other) articles state they were "alienated".

Is this yet another example of the world we have become where people not involved in something are more outraged than those that are? Rather than them being "alienated" this was a part of the celebration which they opted not to be a part of.

Reactions: 1 users