Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
:mhihi Their finals record is even worse than Scumwood. At least Scumwood can occasionally win one.

Maxwell out now. He was the final hope. All over now.
What happened to those breathing coaches Eddie recruited?

Once a choker, always a choker

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I thought the reason they put the formats into their respective format blocks ie tests and ODIs was because the players hated chopping and changing of the format and the squads.

I recall someone joining his captain at the crease with his team in trouble in a ODI and asking if they should play for a draw.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Stars record in finals (2-8) is Geelong like.

only 13,285 at the game. As I mentioned earlier BBL attendances are waning but this one is particularly bad.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Good to see the Stars win a final but only 13000 turned up. CA have made a mess yet again with the BBL scheduling, A by having the competition dragging along and losing interest and momentum then B scheduling a final on a school Thursday night when apparently BBL is primarily for kids and families.

Hopefully for everyone’s sake they finally fix this next summer.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Good to see the Stars win a final but only 13000 turned up. CA have made a mess yet again with the BBL scheduling, A by having the competition dragging along and losing interest and momentum then B scheduling the final on a school Thursday night when apparently BBL is primarily for kids and families.

Hopefully for everyone’s sake they finally fix this next summer.

Too long a season. Too many games. When will they learn less is more?

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The other way to look at it is 13,000 is a pretty good crowd for a domestic competition.

It's practically the only game in town. They were only up against Keith Urban. Probably get more to the AFLW tonight at the homely setting of Princes Park.

Obviously needs change and it'll be interesting to see what decisions are made for next season.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I see Croc Media are somehow involved with the BBL this year. Would explain why the product has turned to *smile*

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I see Croc Media are somehow involved with the BBL this year. Would explain why the product has turned to ****
Last year was the big change and the biggest mistake.

Should finish on the Australia Day weekend with each team playing 8 games (as it may have been originally). One game a night always starting at the same time too.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It's practically the only game in town. They were only up against Keith Urban. Probably get more to the AFLW tonight at the homely setting of Princes Park.

Obviously needs change and it'll be interesting to see what decisions are made for next season.

Yes. They did. More people at Round 1 AFLW at Princes Park than at the BBL Preliminary Final at the MCG.
Who would have thought that that night a few years ago when they got 80K to a Stars v Renegades game? Even if it was Richmond's first ever match.
That should rattle a few cages down at Cricket Hall.

And yes it will be very interesting what happens to the BBL in the coming years.
It doesn't matter how much "entertainment" you try to sell the game as, they can never overcome the one essential pitfall it has, and that's that nobody cares about the result. It's a fair bet even the players don't. You only have to look at the faces of the likes of the fringe Test players who'd rather be wearing white (e.g. Khawaja) to know that.
I couldn't give a toss about AFLW but if I'd thought about it, I probably care much more about Richmond winning that than how the Stars or Renegades go.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
And so it continues, the Stars needing 117 off 12 overs are 4/27 after 6 overs.

Where's that photo off McGuire:))

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Can never see that photo plastered on forum boards of McChins enough it means that things have gone to *smile* for the Maggots or Stars.

Hopefully I get to see that photo many times over the next few months.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
probably because it is a **** product

Maybe its plateauing who knows.

Its contrived nothing more than an absolute noise fest bordering on assault.

It never ends its mind bendingly annoying, just seemingly noise for the sake of noise.

Loud noise, loud music every spare second , spankers yelling in microphones every other spare second that doesnt have noise or music blaring, acrobats, fireworks and gas flames and smoke machines (which have not been part of the game since the fires), more noise and then some more noise.

Its almost more a circus thats takes attention away from the elite sporting event going on out on the field.

Many parents would tire very quickly of taking their littleuns to this stuff I reckon, I know I certainly would.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes. They did. More people at Round 1 AFLW at Princes Park than at the BBL Preliminary Final at the MCG.
Who would have thought that that night a few years ago when they got 80K to a Stars v Renegades game? Even if it was Richmond's first ever match.
That should rattle a few cages down at Cricket Hall.

And yes it will be very interesting what happens to the BBL in the coming years.
It doesn't matter how much "entertainment" you try to sell the game as, they can never overcome the one essential pitfall it has, and that's that nobody cares about the result. It's a fair bet even the players don't. You only have to look at the faces of the likes of the fringe Test players who'd rather be wearing white (e.g. Khawaja) to know that.
I couldn't give a toss about AFLW but if I'd thought about it, I probably care much more about Richmond winning that than how the Stars or Renegades go.

I do give a toss about AFLW, it is a bit take it or leave it, I understand that. But now we have skin in the game, I'm in.

Test Cricket: I can remember listening to the radio broadcasts of a tour of India when Tendulkar and Dravid were hitting big scores. I remember McGrath becoming probably the best bowler of his day on a tour of England. I remember Warne's ridiculous ball to dismiss Gatting. Hadlee causing havoc as a bowler and a batter. Test cricket, series wins, etc - it matters.

The only one day matches I can really remember were Viv Richards hitting 100 off Lillee at the 'g, mainly remember because I was there. Also remember underarm but that was pretty amazing. Can't remember who won the series, just doesn't matter.

BBL? I don't even have a team.

The difference is the care factor - I care who wins the footy, I care who wins test series. BBL is a bit of light entertainment, can't see how it can thrive unless people actually care about their teams.

Danish Tiger, I'm with you on this, no care is a fatal pitfall. I even care a bit about whether Victoria wins the Shield, but I care more that the standard is kept up so we have a competitive test team.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Its baffling to me why the Stars didn't bat first. They won the previous final batting first, and IMO if you have a choke problem batting first would be better because there's less pressure batting.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Its baffling to me why the Stars didn't bat first. They won the previous final batting first, and IMO if you have a choke problem batting first would be better because there's less pressure batting.
Duckworth Lewis, if it rained again the team batting 2nd can be favoured.
But do agree with you, with McGuire's involvement it's London to a brick that they'll get a "Wobble" up batting second when the pressures on.

Now where's that beetroot photo of McGuire:))