Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Australia is a graveyard for finger spinners, always has been. Any comparison of Lyon to other offies must take this into account.

The goat calls are inane, but he is easily the best offie Australia has produced in my 40-odd years of watching, with Tim May next, followed by a chasm.
Bruce Yardley

Tests3358890939861267/9810/18531.632.6870.71161

in Australia1978-1983193657302542797/9810/18532.172.6672.551

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
A lot of spinners, of all types, suffered by being 'not Shane Warne', and got cast aside pretty quickly, until selectors persisted with Lyon, and even then treated him pretty shabbily at times.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Nathan Hauritz
2004-20101733700.01432204635/536/12634.983.1466.620

in Australia2008-2010918386.4871127385/536/12629.652.9161.020

Also treated fairly shabbily by selectors. Better test bowling record than first class.

Last edited:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Tim Paine needs to sort himself out. The captaincy yesterday was rubbish. He ran out of ideas pretty quickly and resorted to cheap shots, as did a few of his mates. Skating on thin ice the Baggy Green, they're not that good.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tim Paine needs to sort himself out. The captaincy yesterday was rubbish. He ran out of ideas pretty quickly and resorted to cheap shots, as did a few of his mates. Skating on thin ice the Baggy Green, they're not that good.
Not the most talented skipper we've produced and possibly believes he needs to compensate with extra "competitiveness". In context though, the exchange with Ashwin wasn't all that grievous in the heat of a Test match. Thought Wade's pretence at charging the batsman (twice) was embarrassing. Not a Test batsman and needs to go, even if it means selectors roll the dice.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Considering how much Tim has turned our ship around over the past couple of years it makes Leysy chuckle the amount of sulks who throw the toys out of the pram when we don't win. On here and on Twitter haha!

We took 3 wickets on the last day. India played well, pitch flattened. It happens.

The Kid Paine aint going anywhere. He's led our country to England and kept the Ashes for the first time in 20 years!! All Time Legend!!

As for the hype on what Kid said - Imagine stump mike on when AB was skipper!! And that would only be to his own players....

Great leader and aint going anywhere until he calls it!!

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Considering how much Tim has turned our ship around over the past couple of years it makes Leysy chuckle the amount of sulks who throw the toys out of the pram when we don't win. On here and on Twitter haha!

We took 3 wickets on the last day. India played well, pitch flattened. It happens.

The Kid Paine aint going anywhere. He's led our country to England and kept the Ashes for the first time in 20 years!! All Time Legend!!

As for the hype on what Kid said - Imagine stump mike on when AB was skipper!! And that would only be to his own players....

Agree with this.
People forget, he retained the Ashes in England, something messrs Ponting and Clarke had two cracks each at and came up empty handed. Ponting even got flogged at home once.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

I'm a fan, I think he should ease up on the chatter a bit though, it will help him keep better too.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Mainly agree with Leysy re Paine. He's been a steady hand through a time of crisis, and his batting and keeping were career-best up until day five in Sydney. But he made some blues. Dropped three he should have taken. Get Pant early and who knows what happens. And the bowling was too short - now, if a bowler bowls too many short balls in an over, that's on him. But if your three pacemen and your all-rounder all bowl too short all day, that's on the skipper.

His comments to Ashwin were pretty ordinary, but I've received worse in park cricket.

You can see why not many keepers are captains. It is a lot on your plate.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im not a close cricket follower.

India V Australia and Ashes series usually catch my attention.

watched 5 days of the Sydney test solid on the box.

but know *smile* all really.

question: Is Steve Smith proper tweeked out OCD and does this obsessiveness make him 1. a great batsman and 2. get caught being a weirdo, cheating *smile* from time to time?

Is 'Shadow batting' a defence? could it be that he restores furniture in his spare time, and was actually 'shadow sanding' in South Africa?

is a player allowed to 'shadow bowl'? when he's batting if he's a bit tweaked out?

and could OCD cricket work, where the batting side actually bowls at the fielding side?

seriously though, as a lay person, I reckon Green has a long career ahead. Seems to have real attributes.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Im not a close cricket follower.

India V Australia and Ashes series usually catch my attention.

watched 5 days of the Sydney test solid on the box.

but know *smile* all really.

question: Is Steve Smith proper tweeked out OCD and does this obsessiveness make him 1. a great batsman and 2. get caught being a weirdo, cheating *smile* from time to time?

Is 'Shadow batting' a defence? could it be that he restores furniture in his spare time, and was actually 'shadow sanding' in South Africa?

is a player allowed to 'shadow bowl'? when he's batting if he's a bit tweaked out?

and could OCD cricket work, where the batting side actually bowls at the fielding side?

seriously though, as a lay person, I reckon Green has a long career ahead. Seems to have real attributes.
Just one point in defence of Smith.
Captain of a team that cheated. Turned a wilfully blind eye to cheating practices.
Practices that are /were endemic to professional cricket, though the aussies took it way too far.
Copped it on the chin and didnt blame down the line.

So he,s not a sander, but lets others do the cheating. Dereliction of duty in my eyes but redeemable.

As for the shadow boxing, just a strange egg

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

I reckon he's definitely got OCD tendencies which probably help make him such a great batsman and yes I do believe he was probably doing what he said he was doing.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jazz I think its worth considering that in Ashwin,s career he will have had far more games on spinner,s tracks. Every home test wouldve been suited to him. His average is significantly advantaged.

Thats not to rebut your criticism of Lyon and his 4th innings deficiency.
Just the comparison to Ashwin
Perhaps it is unfair. Lyon has had a very good career, I just think he has disappointed in the 4th innings a few too many times.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I'm a Smith fan, but ...

Seriously.
Just done a year in the sin-bin and he goes and does that a matter of inches in front of a stump cam.

As a fielder, he shouldn't be going within a bull's roar of the batting crease.
If he's not a cheat he's as dumb as they come, and needs a rocket.

Justin, maybe you need to start coaching Smith, and not just in his batting.

Reactions: 3 users