Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Ashwin, 5 wickets in England's 1st innings and 100 in India's 2nd innings, a reasonable effort.
He has 1 wicket in Englands 2nd innings, would have to been a good chance of getting another 5fa.
Would have to be a first, 100 and 5 wickets in both innings if he's able to do it.
England 3/53, still needing another 429.
Been done three times. Botham, Imran Khan, Shakib Al Hasan.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think they said Botham made a ton and took a five-for in the same Test five times. Ashwin has now done it three times. Sobers and Kallis amongst those who did it twice.

Alan Davidson in the Tied Test took 6-for and 5-for, and made 44 and 80.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
England 5/90, Ashwin has 3 wickets, if he gets 2 more he'll have 10 for the match plus the ton. He got 5 poles in England's 2nd innings of the first test, so is a chance of getting 5 wickets in 3 successive test innings.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Finch is capt of the Aussie 3rds going to NZ so i doubt he will retire just yet.

some article said both Maxwell and Finch had come to an agreement with Cricket Victoria that because of their age, and their limited availability for red ball cricket it was best if they were just out of contention. i guess Maxwell has time to return if his availability ever increased. his last 1st class game was Oct 2019, and with the upcoming tour i doubt he would have played again this season.
And now i read Maxwell is hoping to be picked for tests in Asia next year, and hopes to play a shield game or 2 this season.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
England 5/90, Ashwin has 3 wickets, if he gets 2 more he'll have 10 for the match plus the ton. He got 5 poles in England's 2nd innings of the first test, so is a chance of getting 5 wickets in 3 successive test innings.
Edit

Ashwin got taken out of the attack with 3 wickets and England on 5/80 odd. Would've thought Kohli would've left him on, there's been talk that they don't get on.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched most of day 1 Vics v NSW in the shield. NSW almost full strength side with Smith, Hazelwood, Starc and Lyon but missing Warner and Cummins were all out for a dreary 165 at 2 runs an over.

Vics openers Harris and Maddinson got them to 0/61 at stumps but they both looked terrible at times, playing and missing or edging.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Vics went from 0-94 to 200 all out.
The GOAT got 6 fer.
A not unfamiliar pattern. Off to a flying start, averaging 5 an over then a couple of wickets then the new batsmen freeze up, run rate drops and the collapse ensues.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Probably not a popular opinion, but as far as the Test side is concerned, if Lyon was a footballer he'd be labelled a list-clogger. Good enough to get a spot in the side but ultimately you're looking for something better.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Great experience for 18-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk steering the mighty Vics home against the old enemy in a good partnership with Jimmy Patto.

That's now eight Shield games since the Blues have beaten the Vics.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting to see how this goes after the usual bonkers IPL action last night. Maxwell picks up 2.5 million despite barely hitting a ball off the square last season, which is about 7 times what Steve Smith was paid.

Meanwhile Jhye Richardson picks up 2.5 and Riley Meredith 1.4. Hard to see why blokes would risk their bodies playing test cricket when they can earn that for a dozen 20 over games.
Maxi's BBL form was white-hot, and he's proven over a decade what a superstar he is in the short game.

You have a point, it's a lot of money, but most cricketers still want to play the ultimate. Maxi is set for life, so it's about legacy for him.