Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I thought NSWs test quality bowlers were going to be too much for our fragile batting line up but there ya go. Good stuff.
It was interesting that Captain Neville wasn't game to use Starc until the game was all but done and dusted.
Pattison has to replace Starc in the test side.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great experience for 18-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk steering the mighty Vics home against the old enemy in a good partnership with Jimmy Patto.

That's now eight Shield games since the Blues have beaten the Vics.
I like what coach Buck Rogers is doing with the side, he's blooding a lot young blokes.
I've watched most of the Vic's innings, Fraser-McGurk handled the pressure well, he uses a lot of bottom hand.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Great experience for 18-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk steering the mighty Vics home against the old enemy in a good partnership with Jimmy Patto.

That's now eight Shield games since the Blues have beaten the Vics.
Didn't know that. We play them again just next week.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Interesting to see how this goes after the usual bonkers IPL action last night. Maxwell picks up 2.5 million despite barely hitting a ball off the square last season, which is about 7 times what Steve Smith was paid.

Meanwhile Jhye Richardson picks up 2.5 and Riley Meredith 1.4. Hard to see why blokes would risk their bodies playing test cricket when they can earn that for a dozen 20 over games.
The fact that Smith put himself in the auction and attracted a bid does that create an obligation for him to play? Or does he say thanks but I will stay home ?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Another insipid performance by Australia in a T20 game.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Never taken much notice when the Aussies aren't playing and just flicked over to India v the Poms.... fmd.... how's that stadium they're playing in?.... holds 132k.. reckon there's about 10% in as I write.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Never taken much notice when the Aussies aren't playing and just flicked over to India v the Poms.... fmd.... how's that stadium they're playing in?.... holds 132k.. reckon there's about 10% in as I write.

The way its been developed, looks very much like the G to me, just a bigger version.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Looking at the wicket, reckon England have made a mistake only playing 1 spinner.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
The mighty Rajasthan Royals played out of it a bit in the early IPL days but it was half the size then. Just got redeveloped with an eye to getting a new IPL franchise next year.
They showed an overhead shot earlier and it looked like it's oval and roped off to be virtually a perfect circle. .. Obviously they're planning on having us coming over to fill it at some stage.
It's 155m long and 148m wide which is pretty bloody tiny in the whole scheme of things I reckon!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Four quicks in ANY Test in India - stark raving mad!

Englands innings of 48 overs had only 11 overs for the quicks. Who made that decision to have 3 front line quicks, dumb dumb dumb (not that our batting was great either). I thought Dom Bess was pretty good in the 1st test, then replaced by Moeen Ali and then doesn't get a spot back when Ali has gone home, weird.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, I rate Dom Bess. Has a future. Suspect England got carried away with pink ball/day-night swing success and forgot they were playing India in India in a match India needs to win, which means you're always going to get a bunsen.

Why did Ali go home, posh?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, I rate Dom Bess. Has a future. Suspect England got carried away with pink ball/day-night swing success and forgot they were playing India in India in a match India needs to win, which means you're always going to get a bunsen.

Why did Ali go home, posh?

They've been rotating the side and had decided that Ali was only going to play 1 test so it was already scheduled that he would go home after the 2nd test. He's been away from home for a long time as I believe he had to quarantine twice in Sri Lanka before heading to India as I think I heard he caught Covid so they wanted him to go home and spend time with his family.

Dom Bess is the future for England so makes even less sense that he played Test 1 and hasn't played since then. His average is not bad for being so early in his career (32) with an economy of 2.88. Compared to other spinners who are based outside of the sub continent its not bad. Lyon averages 32.12 with an economy of 2.99 so for a 13 test career Bess has started well. You could be right about the pink ball but either way, one glance at that pitch and the dark patches around the wickets should indicate how dumb a decision it was to go with only 1 spinner.

Even with only 1 spinner, no idea why Root hasn't bowled yet being as he's an adequate spinner.

Interesting that Zak Crawley openly questioned in an interview the 3rd umpiring. The main frustration being on similar decisions when India can get a positive decision they check multiple angles, yet when England are looking for a wicket they look at just the 1. I understand with Covid why the umpires are Indians, but why can the 3rd umpiring not be done remotely? Its purely done from tv images so why does that person need to be at the ground? I would think having an independent 3rd umpire would be fairly easy to do.