Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Some really dumb batting so far today. Smith sucked in.
Yes, when it comes to playing the hook, he's no Gary Lyon! (but tried to be).

Seriously, how do batsman keep falling for the leg-side trap? I can fully understand wanting to fight back and not just cop it, but you either pull it down or well away from the fieldsmen if going to hit it high. Otherwise, it's duck, dodge and weave only.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Yes, when it comes to playing the hook, he's no Gary Lyon! (but tried to be).

Seriously, how do batsman keep falling for the leg-side trap? I can fully understand wanting to fight back and not just cop it, but you either pull it down or well away from the fieldsmen if going to hit it high. Otherwise, it's duck, dodge and weave only.
Yeah, they can't keep the short stuff up for long, eventually they tire, then the batsman (I refuse to call them batters, that's what you make pancakes from), cash in.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Wood finally getting some stats that support how well he's bowled through the series. Finally getting his average below 30. He'd bowled too well to have an average over 30 in this series.
Thought you might be a bit happier with him. Yet they wrecked Stokes trying to get him bowling the short stuff that Wood is far better equipped for at ~150 kph.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Think you are being a bit harsh there.

Since that disaster of a tour (for him anyway) to England in 2019. He has played 12 tests (in what 2 and a half years) but still score 1,126 runs in those tests (18 innings) at an average of 62.6. Even taking out the 335 NO he scored against Pakistan, he has averaged 46.5 in those 17 innings.

As a pom, I'd kill for an opener to have those averages over a 2 and a half year period.
Not sure if you were responding to my comment on Warner's pair or another poster. But, for my part, Warner looked intent on stamping his authority and asserting himself at Broad, rather than do what a good opener normally does, as he well knows, and usually does. And it cost him an embarrassing pair, letting the team down and opening up the risk to other batsmen in the process.

Sure, he has performed really well since 2019, as you show, but he should have far too much experience to forget the role he has. Ascertain what the conditions are, and play defensively and tightly until you can take the shine off the pill, wear out the opening attack somewhat, protecting the batsmen to come. That was especially true in these difficult day/night conditions in Hobart.

Instead, sucked into trying to get payback on Broad again ... and lost badly. Team comes ahead of ego.

However, comparing him with England's openers ... Sorry to say, your's have been shocking except for Crawley.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I've got a massive man crush on Boland, what a likeable guy he is. No fuss, he just goes about business with a steely determination. His last spell with the ball yesterday was magnificent.

Considering the light, the pink ball and with Wood bowling extreme heat he did as good a job as nightwatchman as I can remember from anyone. Ya just knew he was going to get behind the ball.

And a Richmond man too. He'd be a hard as nails fullback that teammates would love and fans would just idealise, of that I'm sure.
Fully concur with you. But how do you know he is really a Richmond man?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Seriously, thats half the ball pitching in line, and its sided with the batsmen. A lot of these very small components going with the Aussies. There was the tiniest feather in the 1st innings for England, and the one on Carey was as close as you would ever get.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure if you were responding to my comment on Warner's pair or another poster. But, for my part, Warner looked intent on stamping his authority and asserting himself at Broad, rather than do what a good opener normally does, as he well knows, and usually does. And it cost him an embarrassing pair, letting the team down and opening up the risk to other batsmen in the process.

Sure, he has performed really well since 2019, as you show, but he should have far too much experience to forget the role he has. Ascertain what the conditions are, and play defensively and tightly until you can take the shine off the pill, wear out the opening attack somewhat, protecting the batsmen to come. That was especially true in these difficult day/night conditions in Hobart.

Instead, sucked into trying to get payback on Broad again ... and lost badly. Team comes ahead of ego.

However, comparing him with England's openers ... Sorry to say, your's have been shocking except for Crawley.

Was responding to someone else who was saying you need to ditch Warner as he's past his best. His stats sure don't show that over the last 2 and a half years, but I do agree with you. At times he plays shots that he shouldn't very early in his innings.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Was just in the car listening to the Triple M coverage and Izzy Westbury made a really good point. If England had been offered the following before the series, they would have taken it. In fact I think we would have ripped your hands off.

Warner - average 34
Smith - average 30.5
Labuschagne - average 42

The problem we've had though is the tail. The last 4 wickets have been super hard for us to get out for some reason. The last 4 wickets in the Aussie innings this series have been.

Brisbane - 4/189
Adelaide - 3/88 and 3/57
Melbourne - 4/87
Sydney - 2/131
Hobart - 4/67 and currently 2/59

Its the equivalent of almost a 31 average per wicket. Way, way, way too high to concede that many runs.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fully concur with you. But how do you know he is really a Richmond man?
Not certain that he is, he'd have to be though, his grandfather played for the mighty tiges. I'll wipe him like a dirty arse if he's not:)

• Haha