Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Was just in the car listening to the Triple M coverage and Izzy Westbury made a really good point. If England had been offered the following before the series, they would have taken it. In fact I think we would have ripped your hands off.

Warner - average 34
Smith - average 30.5
Labuschagne - average 42

The problem we've had though is the tail. The last 4 wickets have been super hard for us to get out for some reason. The last 4 wickets in the Aussie innings this series have been.

Brisbane - 4/189
Adelaide - 3/88 and 3/57
Melbourne - 4/87
Sydney - 2/131
Hobart - 4/67 and currently 2/59

Its the equivalent of almost a 31 average per wicket. Way, way, way too high to concede that many runs.

Probably a big reason for this is the lack of a good spinner. Leach tries hard but he's just not that good and already over 30. Warnie thinks Mason Crane is the man, maybe. I do like Dom Bess and Matt Parkinson also (Parkinson is the eldest at 25), but we need to move past Leach, he will take us nowhere and push the time into these 3 young players IMO.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think Cummins just wanted to get out so he could have a bowl at England.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Burns is flat out one of the worst test cricketers I’ve ever seen. Mistake after mistake after mistake…

He sure is. I have no idea why England don't push for a young pairing at the top of the order. Crawley and another. What do we have to lose compared to playing Burns? He's 31, test average of 31. He's been out 9 times in 58 innings for a duck (15.5%) and his technique looks horrible. As a guide Warner has had 11 ducks in 167 innings.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Burns is flat out one of the worst test cricketers I’ve ever seen. Mistake after mistake after mistake…
You probably need to see my post about his dominant left eye. Almost feel sorry for the guy. The issue is that England have none better.

Actually third on 2021 batting av. after Root and extras. :eek:

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Pretty sure Wood's back foot was over the return crease on the ball that got Cummins. Does the back foot no-ball rule exist anymore?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I thought a pretty sloppy 2nd innings effort from most Aussie batsmen. It looks like most of them cannot handle the short-pitched bowling themselves although I'd say, historically, we're the masters of dishing it out along with the Windies (in their day).

I think my prior comments on Smith and Marnus' performances stand up to scrutiny.

We might just have given the Poms a chance, unless the conditions really are so difficult.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah he tried to field one at mid off and knocked it with his knee to deep mid on. It nearly went for four but they had to settle for two ha ha haaarrgghh.

Can’t watch him bat either. Hurts my eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah he tried to field one at mid off and knocked it with his knee to deep mid on. It nearly went for four but they had to settle for two ha ha haaarrgghh.

Same as a former opener I couldnt deal watching the bloke its horrendous.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

Letting his hair down for what coud be his last test innings.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I thought a pretty sloppy 2nd innings effort from most Aussie batsmen. It looks like most of them cannot handle the short-pitched bowling themselves although I'd say, historically, we're the masters of dishing it out along with the Windies (in their day).

I think my prior comments on Smith and Marnus' performances stand up to scrutiny.

We might just have given the Poms a chance, unless the conditions really are so difficult.
We’ve probably got enough to win but agree we batted poorly. Some really soft dismissals. Carey top scored but it was a scratchy innings at best. He was lucky that Woakes overstepped after Carey chopped it on to his stumps and extremely lucky with the LBW decision. He then gets out on 49 to a lame shot from an absolute pie from Broad. It was pretty hard to watch him and Green bat against Robinson and Woakes. They could barely lay bat on the ball and the only runs seem to come from edges through the slips.

Certainly not an innings to crow about from any of our batsmen.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Australia need to start looking at the next young openers also.

True, both of these sides are quite old. Even with Harris, he's 29. Australia needs to decide if there is enough there to play with or look towards someone younger. There is only so long you can persist with these older players when they are under performing as maybe that is purely their level and there is no further upside.

The same with a spinner. The succession for Lyon should also be being reviewed. On Fox at "lunch / tea" whatever you want to call it, they had a segment showing Nivethan Radghakrishnan who is playing for the Aussie under 19's. He can spin it with either hand!! Now that would be something new for test cricket, a bowler than can switch his bowling from left to right and back to left. He looked good from both sides too. Reckon he's one to watch.

Reactions: 1 user