Daily Player reviews #12 Matthew Richardson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #12 Matthew Richardson

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 12 in the series….

12 - Matthew Richardson

Position: Tall Forward
Height: 197
Weight: 103
Career Games: 157
Career Goals: 482
Draft History: Like Bowden was selected as Father-Son when it was a "Free Hit". Taken in the 92 draft with other Father-Sons in Dustin Fletcher & Luke Darcy (amongst others).

2002 Averages: 13 Games, 9.7 Kicks, 7 Marks, 2 Handballs, 2.8 Goals, 0.5 Tackles, 0.08 Rebounds, 3 Inside 50s, 0.08 Clearance, 2.7 Clangers Stat of interest: While only 3 rebounds out of Defensive 50 isn't a huge shock, only 6 clearances is interesting for the same period. Suppose it's true, at a stop-start situation he's rarely ever around.

2002 Summary: Get's dropped for abusing team-mates, misses 9 games in total, leads the goal kicking with only 36 goals, mixes the amazingly good with the amazingly bad and the sometimes freaky and amazingly finishes 2nd in the B&F. Started exceptionally well in Round 1 but then add that to shockers against Geelong, Carlton, and Collingwood second time around, which he then followed with 6 exceptionally good, more team-oriented games to end the season with, including absolute sensational games against Hawthorn & Melbourne where he did live up the tag "Match-Winner".

Previously: All Australian twice, 2 other B&F runner-ups to add to his one in 2002, leading goal kicker 7 out of his 10 seasons only missing out in his debut year and his two big injury years (1995 & 2000). Career high of 91 goals in 1996 when still just 21 after recovering from a Knee injury Consistently averaged 7-8 marks per game over his career, never a real huge possession winner, usually around the 12-13 mark but career best of 16 in 1999 when at times he was unstoppable.

Ability: 8.5 - No doubt a great talent, great athlete but maybe a bit short on in some natural football ability, slow to dispose of the ball, not a great reader of the game.

Offence: 8.5 - Has a much better conversion rate than he's given credit for (don't know numbers of Out on Full), but tendency to miss the sitter and snag the impossible with an awkward kicking style.

Defence: 2 - Defence - huh, what's that?

Hardness: 6 - Tough one to mark him on - do you consider him "hard"? He certainly can be fearless in the air, almost reckless. No drama's in splitting a pack open, is a big solid boy who will bounce off guys, exceptionally strong in a contest so I had to rate him as above average, but lay a tackle or work hard in close? Not really, although he's not that good at either.

Speed: 7 - Has above average speed for an AFL - which probably officially puts him close to "Freak" category for a 197cm player in this sport.

Stamina: 7 - See above for speed.

Delivery: 3.5. Richo rarely actually delivers the football so it's a bit of a moot point. "Clangers" include handballs and kicks and not sure what he's breakdown is, but last season his total disposals were 126 kicks, 26 handballs. Now he's kicked 36.21 which leaves only 69 non-scoring kicks. Of those, not sure whether his out of bounds on the full are recorded as "Clangers" or Free's against, but he had 35 Clangers, 21 frees against to stack up against those numbers. Safe to say he probably a lot of those 69 were going nowhere near a team-mate. He's not good at it and one of the arguments about him playing up field is he's not a good field kick, he can be a thumping kick of the footy, but who knows where the damn thing will end up. Hand to foot is a dicier proposition than a Bagdad holiday.

Air: 9.5 - Contested marking is (IMHO) the hardest skill in Australian Rules Footy and Richo does it as well as anyone that I can remember playing. Be very rare to see him drop the ball. He may not have the greatest technique and I've heard people criticise him for that, but the end result is sensational and in the end, what really counts.

Ground: 4.5 - rating him a bit below average is rating him high for a big man, but I think his ability to pick the footy off the ground is underestimated a bit. It has improved, even though he'll often still find himself off balance with the ball below his knees. Great athleticism and speed to give him some space helps but also in one on one contests can be very hard to beat at ground level, if he keeps his balance.

Injury: 3.5 - Well below average and I think his injury problems are well documented. A lot to do with the way he plays the game and the speed he plays it at.

Ruck: 4 - Below average for a Ruckman, above average for a "normal" player. His size and spring makes it possible for him do it, but rarely does he ever really attempt it anyhow. I don't think he could ever make an AFL quality ruckman, but at a pinch could have a crack.
Temperament: 2 - Richo's biggest problem playing AFL is he is a passionate Richmond Supporter who's good enough to play the game. In his "infamous" Carlton game, when he berated Knights most of the Richmond crowd were groaning at the disposal, when Rodan spilled the Handball, thousands of Richmond Supporters put their hands to their heads - including Richo. Playing with some emotion is fine - playing emotionally all the time ain't.

Ball: 5.5 - Above average in my opinion, his averages wouldn't suggest that he's a big ball winner even for a Key Forward, but they're always respectable numbers and are lowered more prominently than most players by "shockers" and injury hit matches. He can be a big ball winner, but more importantly it's how he wins the ball, when his not on one of his la-la land days, he would have to be one of the hardest players to beat one-on-one in the AFL.

Strengths: Great athlete, is mobile, fast and can run all day long. Is a sensational mark in the best half dozen in the comp at least. On his day one of the best match-winners in the competition and one of the very few with this capability that have worn the Yellow & Black for 20 years. Ability to win contested footy is fair at ground level and dominate in the air would be one of the hardest in the competition to beat one-on-one. Has a relatively good conversion rate which is actually amazing given the way he kicks.

Weaknesses: Is awkward - still remains a "Colt", can be put off balance in the air (still will often mark them) and at ground level. His kicking can be very hit and miss and as a field kick is pure cringe factor at times. Injuries have cruled his career and his inability to contain his emotions and concentrate on the game can make him a liability and a disappointment to team-mates.

Overall: Someone said we don't need to do Richo - he's been analysed enough already, and that's true. Probably analysed more than Michael Jackson's nose so I'll cut it short. I think Richo is a sensation - a match winner and they don't come on trees. True he has faults - perfect footballers are pretty rare. I liken him to the collected works of Shakespeare - great entertainment, enthralling to watch, full of Comedy, Tragedy, Triumph, Hero's & Villain's. Personally I've got to the point where I accept his ups and downs and just enjoy the ride, but I'm not Spud and no wonder that man's hair is so grey. Let's get him hooked on Basketball so Richmond becomes his employer and not his passion and he can concentrate on what we know he can do - win games of Football for Richmond. If we see Richo play 15+ games similar to the last 6 he plays, he may finally win a B&F and Richmond may actually play finals Footy for a change. At 28 also still has plenty of footy in front of him, possibly even his best stuff.

What he needs to do?
1) Control the emotion, leave the groans and the head hanging to those of us who aren't good enough to be on the ground who have beer to dull the pain.
2) Avoid all black cats and ladders - keep his body in one piece and the rest will follow.
3) Explore some "alternative" fitness regimes. I'm no expert in this area (trust me) but I'm sure something like Yoga or whatever the latest fad is called (can't remember it's name, but to do with strengthening you're "core") would help stabilise his body - just seems so often off balance, when he really shouldn't be. This I think leads to a lot of his injury problems with a body that just seems to be going in five directions at once.
4) Work on the kicking, if he could increase his capability to hit a target 30-40m away consistently he would increase his value immensely and clubs would have to rethink the policy of forcing him further from goal where he can be more dangerous to Richmond than to them.

Have posted before about Richo being one of us, sharing our hopes and disappointments etc.
I can imagine Richo in a few years blending in well in the outer offering the team plenty of "advice."
People expect a lot of Richo because he is capable of the most amazing things on the field.  He hasn't proven capable of them consistantly for various reasons though.
Supporters get down on him for it, and he gets down on himself too.
I've said before Richo the "enigma" typifies everything I love about Richmond to me.
All the fun of a rollercoaster ride, so many highs and lows but never a dull moment.
Go Richo, show the footy world what you're made of.
Go Tiges.

Every person in their life comes to a junction where they have to decide where thier life is going and how they will be remembered for their contribution. Same applies to most sports including AFL.

In Richo's case, this was when he was sent back to Coburg for a week. He came back a "new" man and played like a machine for the remainder of the season, culminating in his "captains" game against the bombers in London - I know it was an exhibition match, but his performance that day was great. (If Campbo doesn't play against Melb in the Wiz Fizz Cup rd 1, he gets a chance to prove it again)

With the extra quality players on board for 2003, I reckon Richo will be in for a big year including that one "out of the box" game that Robert Walls keeps talking about.

I love the rollercoaster ride that is Richo, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Rampage on Richo ;) ;) ;)

Overall: ... I think Richo is a sensation - a match winner and they don't come on trees.  True he has faults - perfect footballers are pretty rare.  I liken him to the collected works of Shakespeare - great entertainment, enthralling to watch, full of Comedy, Tragedy, Triumph, Hero's & Villain's.  Personally I've got to the point where I accept his ups and downs and just enjoy the ride, ...

I agree totally and don't think you'll get a much better summary of Richo than this one.  Well done again OMH's friend(s).

Is it possible to get some names?  I feel a bit silly calling him/them OMH's friend(s) all the time.

3)  Explore some "alternative" fitness regimes.  I'm no expert in this area (trust me) but I'm sure something like Yoga or whatever the latest fad is called (can't remember it's name, but to do with strengthening you're "core") would help stabilise his body - just seems so often off balance, when he really shouldn't be.  This I think leads to a lot of his injury problems with a body that just seems to be going in five directions at once.

I think it might be called 'Pilates'.

In reference to Richo, RR, I know you reckon it's "Making the easy seem incredible", but I reckon it could easily be "Making the easy seem impossible". ;)

That's a bit nearer the mark RR. ;)

But we wouldn't have it any other way, would we? :)

never a real huge possession winner, usually around the 12-13 mark but career best of 16 in 1999 when at times he was unstoppable.

Finally I can get one up here. 16 Marks is no where near a career best for Richo.

Round 21, 1996 Richo finished the day with the following stats:

Kicks 24 Marks 21 Handballs 4 Goals 7 Behinds 5

Admittedly that was against Fitzroy in their last game in Melbourne, but by any standards in the AFL that is one hell of a lot of the ball. Yes I was there that day and will never forget the emotion of that day... Never before have I felt any sympathy for the opposition or their supporters, but I did that day.

Final scores on that fateful day was;

Richmond 28.19 (187)
Fitzroy 5.6 (67).

Hope to see a few more scores like that this year.

Oh yeah by the way we beat the Cats by over 10 goals the week before as well so we were on a roll.

With some quality delivery out of the midfield expect a big year for the "Richo man". It wasn't that long ago that some pretty good footy judges were rating Richo up there ahead of CAREY as the most valuable player for that year. And who could forget that performance on the footy show "Richo Richo Man" I want to be......

Well this is gonna be the big fella's year......I am convinced that WALLSY'S prophecies will become a reality this year and he will finally have that big day out and wouldn't we all love it to be agains't Collingwood in Rd 1 only to follow up on that Big Day in September.

The twin towers may have fallen in the US, but they are about to rise to new heights at Tigerland.

If ever there was a player that could inspire emotion it is Richo...... Bring it on Richo.

Passion is a word synonimous at Tigerland and the sooner that is resurrected the better I say. "A Fighting Fury. We're from Tigerland"

I just can't wait to be singing "Yellow and Black" at the home of football, the MCG.
Go Tigers

never a real huge possession winner, usually around the 12-13 mark but career best of 16 in 1999 when at times he was unstoppable.

Finally I can get one up here.  16 Marks is no where near a career best for Richo.

Round 21, 1996 Richo finished the day with the following stats:

Kicks 24   Marks 21   Handballs   4   Goals  7  Behinds  5

Didn't Richo also take 17 marks against North in 2001, Round 21. He kicked 2.6 that night. The most amazing part was that we had been in front for most of the night, only to see North take the lead late in the game. Then Cameron sailed in a pass to Richo who got rid of his opponent and kicked the winning goal. The memory I have after Richo took the mark was of the whole crowd just jumping out of their seats. It's times like those you wish they had crowd cam, it was just amazing. It's never the same when you watch the replay.

Well this is gonna be the big fella's year......I am convinced that WALLSY'S prophecies will become a reality this year and he will finally have that big day out

If ever there was a player that could inspire emotion it is Richo......  Bring it on Richo.

Passion is a word synonimous at Tigerland and the sooner that is resurrected the better I say.

I agree with what you say about Richo GT. There are few players in the AFL who can inspire a crowd the way Richo does. For all his foibles, ya gotta love him.

Love your enthusiasm and passion GT.

And best of all, he is a genuine nice bloke. I would have Richo any day over that arrogant wanker and celebrity rooter Wayne Carey..

Finally I can get one up here.  16 Marks is no where near a career best for Richo.
I think, although not clear, that the figure referred to is an average for the season. I, too, remember that game against Fitzroy.

Didn't Richo also take 17 marks against North in 2001, Round 21.  He kicked 2.6 that night.  The most amazing part was that we had been in front for most of the night, only to see North take the lead late in the game.  Then Cameron sailed in a pass to Richo who got rid of his opponent and kicked the winning goal.  The memory I have after Richo took the mark was of the whole crowd just jumping out of their seats.  It's times like those you wish they had crowd cam, it was just amazing.  It's never the same when you watch the replay.

My memory of that game was watching Richo's Mum who sits 2 rows in front of me not being able to watch that shot at goal. She had her hands up in front of face and we were all saying "don't worry Mum he'll be fine" and it was and she was elated (Mrs Richo rarely shows any emotion at the games) but she was jumping after that goal :D

Richo is great for the game and great for the Richmond Football Club and his love for RFC should not be questioned - that's why I think he is terrific

Hey Guys, I can agree with most of what you all say about Richo, but can we do without him...I think not! He is always going to be a thorn in the side of opposition coaches. At this stage in his career he has probably had everything done to him by opposing players that can be done. He has been manhandled, roughed up, abused, but I have never known him to be cowed or intimidated. And the guy bleeds black & yellow. Ok, he occasionally loses the plot but on his day he is a match-winner & that is what makes him so exciting because we never know when he is going to win that match...yes, he is a rollercoaster ride but, then, so is Richmond, so... If he continues in the AFL he can only get wiser and perhaps learn a few things. Sure, he is lacking some natural skills but he is such a freakish player and, boy, when things go right for him he is so exciting and excited. Richo has served his time at full forward; he has tied up 2, sometimes 3, players when he is running hot; it would need a good running player to shadow him if he was released to another position...maybe floating across the HF line. And, yes, he can behave like a spoilt, petulant child (a very gifted spoilt child) but I would prefer that to one whose heart wasn't in it. As someone who looked away whenever Mopsy Fraser shot for goal and, later, when Ray Poulter filled that CHF role, I am well-used to inconsistent kicks for goal, but c'mon, admit it, look at the drama when Richo hits that ball sweetly! Bring him out of goal and let him do what he does best - run 'em ragged. We have some good crumbers now in Kracks, Rodan & Macca, so give Richo the freedom to spill the odd speccy.
And give the guy a fair go, give him some encouragement. Go Matty!!!!

As the tiger army says Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hes a cool guy, met him at a pub a few years back

needs to lift his game this year and actually give something back to the club instead of always talking about doing it.