Daily Player reviews #18 David Rodan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #18 David Rodan

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 17 in the series….

18 - David Rodan
>
> Position: Small Forward
> Age: 19, doesn't turn 20 till after the season is over.
> Height: 172cm
> Weight: 83kg
> Career Games: 22
> Career Goals: 17
> Draft History: Taken selection 33 (our first and only decent pick) in 2001
> national draft.
>
> 2002 Averages: 22 games, 5.7 Kicks, 1.8 Marks, 3.2 Handballs, 0.8 Goals, 1.4
> Tackles, 0.3 Rebounds, 2.2 Inside 50s, 1 Clearance, 1.4 Clangers
>
> 2002 Summary: Encouraging first year and had genuine impact in a few games,
> including his best (probably) against Hawthorn where he kicked 3 goals. Was
> more noticeable for how he did things rather than how much he did them
> showing pace and a willingness to run the football. Showed ability to weave
> his way out of traffic and good reflex work. Foot skills were pretty good, but
> too often missed targets. Overall though should have been pleased as it's all
> relative and first season at 18 it's not a bad start.
>
> Previously: Twice winner of the Morrish medal in the elite U18's TAC cup.
> Wasn't a huge ball winner actually at that level, averaging around 22
> possessions a game, but again it was more the way he did it that made him
> standout. I didn't have him in my top 40 TAC players.
>
> Ability: 4.5 - Got him maybe a bit low, but I tend to wait for "proof" from the
> younger guys, and although I think there's some talent there, I'm not 100%
> convinced on Rodan's abilities yet.
> Offence: 6 - Showed the ability to snap a freak goal and used his pace to
> create opportunities up forward. 17 goals from 22 games where he had fairly
> limited game time often is a pretty handy return.
> Defence: 3 - Will tackle hard & chase and this rating will definitely improve over
> time, seemed a bit lost when forced to defend but given he played primarily as a
> small forward, it's a bit hard to get a bead on this.
> Hardness: 5.5 - Has a bit of a tank of a body and looks like he doesn't mind
> getting into the middle of things. Again this is a rating likely to rise as we get
> more evidence of the way he plays.
> Speed: 9 - Probably the stand-out attribute that you can point a finger at. He's
> genuinely explosively quick over the first couple of yards and that initial burst of
> speed (when he learns to use it properly) will be his greatest weapon.
> Stamina: 5.5 - Very hard to judge a guy who's on and off the ground, but I never
> noticed a decrease in his running towards the end of the game which is a very
> good sign. Will become more clear as his game time increases.

Delivery: 5 - At times looked very neat with the ball, but often when clear would
> fail to hit targets he should. Could be a case of learning curve. Will wait.
> Air: 2.5 - At 173cm's - he ain't going to challenge Richo in the contested marking
> stakes. But reasonably safe hands, although a bit of a bad habit of "snatching"
> at the ball (the wicketkeeper in me coming out now) as if he has to do
> everything at full speed with no "give". I'd be very surprised though if he's not
> regularly bringing up the tail in the marking numbers for the rest of his career.
> Ground: 6 - Was impressive his ability to "pounce" on a footy. Being that low to
> the ground, he should be strong in this area and it does look to be a strength.
> Injury: 6 - Can't really work a rating for him, his 22 for 22 in one year. Maybe
> instead of minor movements off average this should be N/A
> Ruck: 0 - I'm currently running a sweep on which round in which year will one
> of Krakouer or Rodan be awarded a stat for a hitout. Favourite is round 17
> 2009,
> Temperament: 6 - If you haven't guessed, I pretty much start them at 5, then
> add/subtract based on whether I think their better/worse than average, so its
> harder for a new player to rank much higher than average. But all signs for
> Rodan look like his got a very good temperament. I also look at how guys go
> under pressure, and this is what he's really got to prove.
> Ball: 4.5 - Doesn't look to me like he's going to be a big ball winner at AFL level.
> Again still more to wait.
>
> Strengths: Speed, reflexes, a willingness to work hard and good hands seem to
> be his main strengths at this stage. Has that rare quality of "spark".
>
> Weaknesses: Size! Doesn't look a natural ball winner and did look a bit lost at
> times, but that's a time thing. Size!
>
> Overall: I was probably one of the Rodan Doubters when he was drafted, more
> hoping he'd come through than really positive. I'm a bit more confident now, but
> still far from sure. No doubt a lot of recruiters steered clear of him because of
> his size, which will always be a problem as it limits the roles he can play and is
> open to being exploited. Started his AFL career with a fairly mature body for his
> size, so it was no real surprise he did O.K. first up in a season where he didn't
> do a real lot, but what he did do tended to make highlights reels. Has pace &
> flair and no doubt will become a fan favourite. It is that excitement factor though
> that sways me more towards him as a player. We've had Richo as a big man
> freak, but I think we've lacked a small guy who can produce that something
> special like a Milne, Burns, Farmer type. Rodan can do that and at least was a
> genuine midfielder at junior level, which I think is preferable at AFL level to a kid
> who kicked goals playing as a small forward at that level. The one thing that
> does appear apparent from Rodan's junior career is that he's lifted whenever he
> went up a level with the jump from TAC Cup to state level not showing him up.
> Probably 2004 will be a good guide, if he can continue to lift this year and next
> then possibly he will make a longer term midfield option, but at this stage I'm just
> hoping he can become a 40 goal a year small forward with "impact" stints in the
> midfield. I'm still not sure if what I've seen is someone who's ability to "excite" is
> making us overlook problems, or just a precursor to a very good career. Afraid
> we won't be able to answer this for a while yet.
>
> What he needs to do?
> 1) Are those stretching racks still available in the tower of London?
> 2) Needs to work on disposal/decision making. Some poor "no-pressure"
> errors marred his game at times last year.
> 3) His job for this year is most likely small forward - aim at 30+ goals.

I think Rodan came ready to play and did well for an 18yo in his first season.
He was a shining light for me.  He genuinely looked like he loved playing footy.
He was willing to back himself which really stood out in a team that was lacking confidence.
He had the ability to spark the crowd as well as the team.  A couple of times he got a standing ovation which was awesome to be in amongst.
I could never judge him on his height.  It takes all types to make a team, and I think Rodan has that something a little bit special.
He is very young and has years to learn the game.  he's off to a pretty good start imo.
I wish some of our other early, more fancied draft picks had Rodan's attitude and endevour.

Let's not forget to mention that he provides hardness around packs which is some the team lacks.

Always a dangerous type in the forward line, however his set shots, and kicking distance are a worry.

I agree that he looks like a guy who guenuinely enjoys playing the game and plays with a lot of passion.

At 18 I reckon he can develop into a very handy player for the Yellow and Black. He has the atribute to overcome his lack of height alah BELL and HARVEY.

If he continues to develop one thing is certain. He will definitely become a crowd favorite with his ability to excite.