Daily Player reviews #26 Billy Nichols | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #26 Billy Nichols

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 25 in the series….

26 - Billy Nichols

Position: Wing / Half-Forward
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
Career Games: 6 (0 at Richmond)
Career Goals: 5 (0 at Richmond)
Draft History: Selection 69 in 1999 National Draft, delisted by Hawthorn after 3 years, selected by Richmond at no 47 in 2002 National Draft

2002 Averages: Did not play AFL footy.

2002 Summary: Started the season missing 3 games with a groin complaint, played 3 games in the VFL, then missed 4 games with a hamstring, played a game of VFL, missed another 4 games with a hamstring, finished the year out in the VFL. Some good VFL games, but far from dominate.

Previously: Played 6 games in 2001 for Hawthorn, emergency in 6 others. Debut against Geelong netted him 17 possessions, 3 goals & 6 Marks. Had one other game of note against Sydney where he had 10 possessions and kicked 2 goals. Nothing else of note at AFL level. Was "noted" for playing senior footy and doing well at a young age. Can anyone spell "early developer"?

Ability: 2 - Put simply - I don't rate Nicholls. Has a bit of "flashiness" about him which will have people think "just maybe".

Offence: 3.5 - Does push forward and has kicked a couple of bags, certainly has been touted as a half-forward option. Nothing in his VFL performances indicate a great forward is lurking within him.

Defence: 2.5 - I'm probably harsh on him, as I haven't seen that much of him, but hadn't seen anything that would indicate he was capable of playing a defensive role and didn't pay a lot of attention to his man.

Hardness: 4 - Being talked up as being "hard at it". He does look pretty solid, and "enthusiastic", but not sure that equals hard. Will reserve judgement on this, others have been suggesting he's a real goer.

Speed: 6 - One thing that did stand out to me is that he looked like he had some above average pace in him, but haven't seen him play enough in "quality" company to really get a take on this either.

Stamina: 3 - Injury struggles have impacted on his fitness levels, all info I have on suggests his ability to run out games is questionable but again we'll have to wait and see.

Delivery: 3.5 - Didn't look a great kick to me, reasonable penetration but some notable turnovers, hard to tell if it's skill or decision making errors.

Air: 4 - Not overly strong overhead, but what little I have on him would suggest he's not hopeless either.

Ground: 4 - Reasonable at ground level, but not great at getting to the contest, although looked reasonable in close.

Injury: 2 - More soft tissue problems than a batch of faulty Kleenex.

Temperament: 3 - I'm just guessing here, but indications are that he's a bit of a hot-head. Just a hunch.

Ball: 2 - Doesn't look a big ball winner, not even at VFL level, will have to improve if he wants to be a senior footballer.

Strengths: Is an "aggressive" style of player who has reasonably clean hands.

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
Weaknesses: Prone to soft tissue injuries, lacks any real class or outstanding attributes.

Overall: Bad Billy Nicholls continues the trend of Richmond Recruiting guys who played well against us. No, he never played a Senior game against Richmond, but he did play well for Box Hill against Coburg, when we absolutely flogged them. Apart from that game Nicholls was rarely listed in the best and never really fired at VFL level. I've probably been overly critical of him on the basis of Richmond's recruiting philosophy stacking the 2002 draft with cast-offs and he's not one I've studied very closely so many of my impressions will change over the year. Wouldn't mind betting however that Nicholls will become yet another Richmond Cult figure (as he was at Hawthorn) who is much better suited to Coburg than Richmond. Rather than embarrass whoever made the call to recruit him, he will get opportunities (injuries permitting) at Senior Level, and will almost certainly have some in the Social Club raving about him in the early days and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Richmond through 2004/2005 after this year as people mistake his flash for substance. Some chance Nicholls will make me eat my words though, he has just turned 22, this will be his fourth year in the system, although he has had quite a few injury problems which may have slowed his development. Barring injuries, if he is to ever perform at AFL level we should see it this year, I would be very disappointed if he was on anything more than a 1 year contract, as if he doesn't perform we shouldn't bother with next year.

What he needs to do?
1) Get himself fitter and avoid the soft-tissue injuries.
2) Don't get too attached to the number 26 Richmond locker.
3) Produce on a consistent basis, something he didn't seem to do at Hawthorn/Box Hill.

A

admin

Some chance Nicholls will make me eat my words though
Here's hoping anyway, ha. ;D
A pretty damning bio, though hopefully it could prove very inaccurate seeing it's punctuated with "don't really know's" and "didn't pay much attentions"
I'd never even heard of the guy till we drafted him.