Daily Player reviews #30 Martin McGrath | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #30 Martin McGrath

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 28 in the series….

30 - Martin McGrath

Position: Half-Forward
Height: 180cm
Weight: 70kg
Career Games: 0
Career Goals: 0
Draft History: Selection No 77 in 2001 National Draft, from South Fremantle (same club as Krakouer)

2002 Averages: Did not play AFL.

2002 Summary: Spent 2002 running around for Coburg, primarily in a similar fashion to a chook with it's head cut off. Won the mark of the year and second place, and third, and fourth, and pretty sure snuck in for fifth place as well. Had a few games (that I saw) where he found some footy, but not enough to get real excited yet.

Previously: I know nothing of his time before Richmond, didn't make any squad of note that I'm aware of.

Won't publish the ratings for McGrath, not really enough to go on for a very Raw player I didn't see a lot of, and when I did see him he was all over the shop.

Strengths: Big leap & looked to have a bit of speed about him.

Weaknesses: Does a lot of "wasted running" and too intent on the big grab, very little defensive side to his game that I witnessed and while he liked jumping on top of packs, wasn't too keen on getting into them.

Overall: Always worries me when guys become cult figures at reserves / VFL level. The sooner McGrath decides that taking mark of the year is a good side line to his game rather than the focus of it we might get a bead on whether he can play or not. After thinking a bit about what I had seen of him though I thought it best to wipe 2002 as a year for getting a feel for it, a guy his size and judging from what I saw his lack of grounding in the game (just seemed to get completely lost a lot of the time) I thought he was just too up and down to get a real feel for. This year will give us a bit better of an idea of McGrath and what he could be capable of long term. I would have to admit there were certainly glimpses of some exciting talent. Someone needs to remind him though that 180cm Forwards who rely entirely on their marking don't tend to make much of an impact at AFL level. Older brothers (I'm pretty sure) Cory (Essendon) & Ashley (Brisbane) seem to have filled out reasonably well, so the rake of a figure we see now mightn't last too long.

What he needs to do?
1) Build some stamina into his body and develop a strong running game.
2) Learn how to get himself to the footy - push to make more contests front and square of the ball up forward rather than running around aimlessly following the footy.
3) Be prepared to occasionally spend some time on the ground rather than standing on top of opponents heads looking for the mark.

What he needs to do?

Turn up to the family day ;) that would have been good. Alot of disappointed people when they found out he wasn't there

played one good game a few opportunitys.

would be nice to see more of him, hope he can improve more otherwise it might be bye bye.

Ok, can someone tell me the EXACT reason why he was delisted in the pre-season, as i have heard about 8 different reasons over the past year or so!!