Daily Player reviews #34 Andrew Mills | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #34 Andrew Mills

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 31 in the series….

34 - Andrew Mills

Position: Half Forward
Height: 187cm
Weight: 83kg
Career Games: 13
Career Goals: 5
Draft History: Selection 52 in 1999 National Draft.

2002 Averages: 5 games, 3 Kicks, 0.8 Marks, 1.4 Handballs, 0.4 Goals, 0.2 Tackles, 0 Rebounds, 0.6 Inside 50s, 0 Clearance, 0.2 Clangers

2002 Summary: Spent the first 17 rounds at VFL level where he was O.K. without being outstanding in the first half, but rose up a notch in the second half of the season with some very good performances and spent the last five games in the seniors where he was pretty anonymous , but from memory probably didn't exactly have a huge amount of game time.

Previously: Was a key forward for Murray U18's and played for a relatively weak Vic Country side in the U18's nationals in 1999 without having a big impact. Had a very good debut game in 2000 then only two more games of limited impact before injury put a halt to his run. Added another 5 games in 2001, having spent the first 10 games waiting for his chance, didn't do a lot and after those 5 went back to Coburg, and missed the finals with a broken jaw.

Ability: 3 - Looks to lack the class and polish to be a regular at AFL level.

Offence: 4.5 - Shows some promise up forward, but obviously is not a key forward but some good attacking skills.

Defence: 3 - Originally was impressive with his defensive work rate up forward, but hasn't shown a great defensive side, although hasn't played much football in an "accountable" position.

Hardness: 3.5 - Had a good work rate early, but hasn't shown a great ability to apply physical pressure.

Speed: 4 - Isn't overly quick and needs to improve here.

Stamina: 3.5 - Has struggled to run out games when I've watched him and needs to work harder here.

Delivery: 5 - Delivery skills are good, possibly even above average.

Air: 5 - Is reasonably good in the air, although not outstanding.

Ground: 4.5 - Probably less than average, reasonable below his knees not great in a pack situation.

Injury: 2 - Two out of three seasons badly damaged through injury - did make it through 2002 without a problem so maybe he's used up his bad luck.

Temperament: 4 - The "incident" early last year is a concern, will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ball: 2 - A reasonable ball winner at VFL level, but doesn't really looked a big ball winner at AFL level.

Strengths: Works hard, prepared to chase and harass, is reasonable overhead and pretty good delivery skills.

Weaknesses: Doesn't look to have the class to lift to AFL level and very much "average" without any outstanding attributes. Doesn't look to have the running ability to play midfield.

Overall: Crunch year for Mills, first two seasons interrupted with injury, third started with a large distraction, and has suffered a bit from standard Richmond development tack of a lack of game time and performing bit part roles without a decent shot. However there has to big doubts that Mills is going to make it, doubts which should be dispelled one way or the other after this year. I don't think we really learned if Mills could play or not during the last 5 games of 2002 as it was really fringe roles, limited time stuff. Does seem to have a reasonably good "footy smarts" and I haven't given up total hope on him. Not real sure if the concept of taking on an under-sized key posit ion player on draft day in the hope he'll turn into something else is a real smart, but then Richmond, Recruiting and smart are three words really used together in a sentence without a negative. If Mills does it, it will probably be in the midifield if he can get some better run into the legs.

What he needs to do?
1) Develop some better running ability, I'm not sure if it's a fitness issue or just not the body for it.
2) Find the footy, can do it at the lower level, probably found out a bit through pack.
3) Hold his body together and keep himself out of trouble - let's see what his like off a full distraction-free season.

The worst player on our list. How the club dropped Ezra Poyas and kept Mills is beyond me.

He is as slow as a wet week, as much strength as an arthritic grandma, and is injury prone.

Get rid of Mills as soon as possible. I would cut him now and elevate Shir.