Daily Player reviews #9 Wayne Campbell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #9 Wayne Campbell

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 9 in the series….

9 - Wayne Campbell

Position: Midfielder
Age: 30 - turns 31 Grand Final week, I wonder what he want's for his Birthday?
Height: 187
Weight: 87kg
Career Games: 247
Career Goals: 153
Draft History: Selected No 29 in the 1989 National Draft. Pretty sure (not 100%) that he stayed away for a year, joining us in 91, the year he made his debut.

2002 Averages: 22 Games, 13.5 Kicks, 4.1 Marks, 9.8 Handballs, 0,55 Goals, 3.1 Tackles, 2.1 Rebounds, 3.1 Inside 50s, 4.8 Clearance, 1.5 Clangers

Stat Fact: Has average 20 possessions a game in each season since 1994 when he had 19.8 (down from 24 the previous year). Of other interest the only year I have stats on Shepherds (1993) he lead the club.

2002 Summary: Once again carried the Richmond Midfield winning his fourth B&F, although in my eyes was probably not as good as he was in 2001, but still the obvious top Tiger for 2002. 1st in total disposals, Handballs, Tackles & Clearances, 2nd in Kicks, 3rd in Inside 50's, 6th in Rebounds, 7th in marks, 7th in Goals and finally 15th for average clangers. Probably only beaten in two games (Geelong & Collingwood 2nd time around) with a few break-evens and plenty in the win column individually. 4 times picked up 30+ Possessions (Season high of 37) and only five times failed to get 20 (19,18,17,12 & 9). Still failed to capture the imagination of most Richmond supporters. Showed a couple of times his goal kicking had improved, but still probably failed to push forward often enough and kick enough goals from the midfield with only 12 for the season. Did see a few less of those dinky up and under kicks.

Previously: Has been super consistent for the past decade, consistently averaging more than 20 possessions per game, with 3 previous B&F wins before last year, 3 runner-ups and a third. Twice All-Australian and a regular in the Australia v Ireland games. Has always had his detractors with a bad habit of up and under kicks and perception that his big possession numbers were of poor quality.

Ability: 8.5 - Probably just short of "Elite" category. Has a couple of holes in his game, but overall is very good.

Offence: 6.5 - Even typing the number out I think I might be over-rating him a touch as one of my criticisms is his inability to consistently kick goals from the midfield. But I do think he has the capabilities to be a good forward

Defence: 6 - Man on man sometimes lacks accountability but does push back with hard running to provide support in defence and is often the link moving the ball out. Reads the incoming ball well and generally does the "right" things defensively. Is obviously an offensive player by nature and defensive work isn't as "clean" but credit where its due, it's obvious he works at it.

Hardness: 5.5 - Some will raise the eyebrows that score is so high, but just because he doesn't split packs open doesn't mean he's soft. Actually anyone who does a lot of running would be able to tell us that covering that much ground requires some courage in itself. Campbell will provide the shepherd, will attempt to use his body and nowadays is quite an effective tackler (much improved technique - and as skipper maybe more willing). He's not naturally hard, and will never be a Kellaway or Johnathon Brown, but at least has some sort of go, even if at times it looks a bit awkward.

Speed: 6.5 - I've never thought of Campbell and pace really going together. He's quick - quite a bit quicker than the average AFL player, but not explosive off the mark. Would probably rate highly in 200-400m sprints.

Stamina: 9 - Is one of the genuine "Elite" running players of the AFL. Will tire towards the end of games at times (and shows it) but when you watch closely he covers an amazing amount of ground.

Delivery: 7 - By hand is pretty good, but foot is pretty good, by reputation is a shocker. Has a tendency to "stand and deliver", the old one step or off-balance floating mongrel. Realistically he hits the target far more often the most. Probably misses a bit more than most, but then again - he get's twice as much football as most too!

Air: 6 - Never been a top-liner in the marking stakes, but reliable. Will tend to try and take it on his chest rather than in his hands at times. Is reasonable overhead and importantly he takes what he should - some "better" marks don't!

Ground: 8.5 - Rarely fumbles, is pretty good in close, although I'd much rather see the shoot-out handball rather than the up and under kick and good on the loose ball.

Injury: 9.5 - He did miss 5 games in 2000, apart from the occasional game here and there, is a constant fixture on match-day.

Ruck: 3 - Actually going to give him a couple of points here - is one player who regularly does jump in front or over a ruck contest to either take possession himself or knock it on - never really seen pure ruck work - but often involves himself in a contest.

Daily Player reviews #9 Wayne Campbell Pt2

Temperament: 7.5 - At his "seniority" in footy - this probably should be a bit higher, but does have a habit of appearing overly intense and not quite "warm" is probably the best way of putting it.

Ball: 9.5 - Has constantly for the last 10 years been amongst the biggest ball winners in the competition and usually certain to be in the paper's top 10 for disposals so far list..

Strengths: Hard running, good hands and a very good ball winner.

Weaknesses: Will float his kicks on occasions and not real strong at a close-in contest. Will often kick the up and under from such a position. For someone with his strengths fails to kick anywhere near enough goals from the midfield.

Overall: Seems to be a very vocal minority (I think it's a minority) of Richmond supports for whom Campbell will never be good enough. Taking over the captaincy from well-loved player in Knights only seemed to make things worse. Still for a decade has been the one player constantly solid week-in, week-out and year to year. Maybe never had the flair that a Knights, Richo or Ottens can show and certainly has his weaknesses but I think should be recognised for what he is - a hard running quality footballer who has been good enough to win 4 B&F's and 2 All-Australian jumpers - and those suckers come a lot harder for the midfield guys than the do for the book ends. Campbell probably has always fallen just short of "elite" standard in my book, but has over the years rounded out his game. Two big things have hurt Campbell's career, one has been a lack of genuine elite ruckmen to assist in the middle and some real hard nuts to do the "inside" work. Campbell has always looked like a natural "outside" player who should spend all day running up and down the wings but has had to become more an inside player to compensate for a team deficiency. I give him credit for doing so, but reality is he's not very good at it and it shows and Richmond people moan and Campbell gets bagged for it when the anger should be at the pitiful recruiting staff that allow the imbalances to occur. He is a far more capable tackler now than 2-3 years ago and certainly holds tackles now that would have been broken in the 90's, he's improved his marking, his ability to read the play and direct traffic is very good and probably one of the prime reasons he was made skipper - and looks destined to fall back in the "Backline General" role that Cameron did so well for us in 2001. Still would have a long future in AFL for a 30+ with no signs that he would have to leave the midfield just yet and plenty of capacity to perform other roles forward and back.

What he needs to do?
1) Step back a little to the outside with Coughlan emerging and Johnston arriving. They can dish better than he.
2) Start to stamp his leadership a bit more on the group - does look a bit Authoritarian at times, but hard to tell without being amongst it.
3) Aim to kick 20 goals for season 2003 - he's never done it before.

Re: Daily Player reviews #9 Wayne Campbell Pt2

Another great report that pretty much sums up how I think of CC.

To me he is like a drafthorse that does all the work but doesn't get the attention of his flashier thoroughbred workmates.

He rarely does anything breathtaking or spectacular but he does the dirty work that has to be done.

He is super consistant, but I hope that our drafting has added the extra spark that can really lift a team that the sheer workhorses don't always have.

Go Campbo.

Two big things have hurt Campbell's career, one has been a lack of genuine elite ruckmen to assist in the middle and some real hard nuts to do the "inside" work. Campbell has always looked like a natural "outside" player who should spend all day running up and down the wings but has had to become more an inside player to compensate for a team deficiency. I give him credit for doing so, but reality is he's not very good at it and it shows and Richmond people moan and Campbell gets bagged for it when the anger should be at the pitiful recruiting staff that allow the imbalances to occur.

Couldn't agree more OMH.

Step back a little to the outside with Coughlan emerging and Johnston arriving. They can dish better than he.

The transition for Campo from stand-in inside midfielder to a more natural semi-outside position began late last year. Doesn't mean he won't play midfield anymore as he's our top ballwinner, just he won't be expected to single-handledly win the pill in a pack situation. That's now Cogs, Johnson and Rodan's job. IMO, I think we'll find Campo this year playing a mixture of sweeper, midlfielder and alternative marking forward (say as Rogers did in 2000) in every game. He's a pretty good 1-on-1 mark on a lead. I expect he''ll be moved around all those positions to off-put the opposition.

Good assesment of Cambo. As you rightly pointed out with the arrival of JOHNSON, and BLUMMFIELD and the continued development of COUGHLAN and RODAN I think Cambo will be able to play more of his natural game again.

Could prove very versatile for us this year and as he showed last year he can be very good down back and also be very damaging up forward when needed.

Is a very good kick for goal inside the forward 50 and has an excellent conversion rate.

Whilst I expect he will spend more time in the back half I think he could prove very effective setting it up for the half back flank as he usually picks good options going forward.

I'd be one of Campbo's biggest fans. Those who complain about his performance (and there are usually a few of them in the Richmond members!) never offer an alternative when I ask who we could realistically recruit who could get as much of the pill as he does.

I think Richmond fans are still punishing him for temporarily walking out a few years ago. But he came back after a rethink which took courage and it didn't affect his performance at all.

I'd be one of Campbo's biggest fans.  Those who complain about his performance ... never offer an alternative when I ask who we could realistically recruit who could get as much of the pill as he does.

My response to that L_T would be that it's quality not quantity that counts.

I think Richmond fans are still punishing him for temporarily walking out a few years ago.  But he came back after a rethink which took courage and it didn't affect his performance at all.

On the contrary L_T, personally, that was when I developed some respect for him, because he stood up for himself. I didn't see it as an act of him walking out on the Club. He had his reasons and, if they are the reasons I am led to believe, then I can understand why he would walk out on the Club. That he came back and won a B&F the next year is a credit to himself.

There are many and varied reasons as to why he is not seen as the player that some see him as. It's only an opinion L_T and doesn't mean it's right.

What he needs to do?
1) Step back a little to the outside with Coughlan emerging and Johnston arriving. They can dish better than he.

The problem for Campbell is that they can't dish better than him, and nobody has been able to at Richmond during his tenure. That's why he has been forced to play an in and under role which doesn't suit his free running nature. Fact is that Campbell has been forced to sacrifice his game for the all too many weak links Richmond has had the last ten years. Even so, he has coped well which to me (and i dont give a *smile* about the detractors) suggests he is a truly great player, and I'd say the best this club has seen since Kevin Bartlett. Just another thing which you failed to mention in you're review of Campbell which has stood out more than anything in watching him play: he has near the best reflexes in the league. I challenge anyone to name a play who gets ball to foot quicker or dishes out sharper handballs.

I challenge anyone to name a play who gets ball to foot quicker or dishes out sharper handballs.

I'd prefer accuracy to speed. A low delivered kick to the chest rather than one rushed onto the boot that travels via the moon and puts team mates under pressure is a better option imo. Take your time and hit the target.

they can't dish better than him, and nobody has been able to at Richmond during his tenure.

Brodder comes to mind there for starters.

Was this a joke post? :-/

"I'd prefer accuracy to speed. A low delivered kick to the chest rather than one rushed onto the boot that travels via the moon and puts team mates under pressure is a better option imo. Take your time and hit the target."

When time is available, who hits more chests at the club than Wayne Campbell? No one at the club comes close to his level of quality dipsosal, and he has speed to boot (pun intended). You can't ask for accurate kicks from congested packs. Taking your time in a pack situation is a contradiction in terms. And note there is a difference between disposing the ball quickly in a pack and running like a headless chook with the ball and then kicking it without having a look at what is on offer down the field, ala Nich Daffy or Simon Tragenza.

If anything, it is when Campbell takes too much time and holds the ball up that he occasionally makes a mistake. And even in that situation, you can only kick to the available leads that are being made, which all too often are non-existent at Richmond.

"Brodder comes to mind there for starters."

Both Broderick and Knights were sharp and cagey handballers, and even Greg Williams if you want to drudge names from the past, but what of the current crop? Maybe a Hird or West by hand, but by foot he is peerless. In any case he is in the elite when it comes to reflexes. I dont think anyone could disagree with that. (But somehow, I have a feeling they will).

You can't ask for accurate kicks from congested packs.
I don't see Campbo as the in and under player you do. I'll take particular notice from now on though .

Both Broderick and Knights were sharp and cagey handballers, and even Greg Williams if you want to drudge names from the past, but what of the current crop?
Mentioning Brodder wasn't drudging names from the past, I was using an example from your guidelines in Campbos "tenure."
I was also going to add Knighter there but thought better of it for personal reasons. ;D

"I don't see Campbo as the in and under player you do. I'll take particular notice from now on though . "

Maybe "in and under" are slightly inappropriate words, but consider this. Campbell by far gets the most clearances out our club, and and is a regular feature in the most clearances column in leading league stats, overtaking many of the "hard nuts" which everyone feels are superior to Campbell in the clinches. In 2001, Campbell finished second in total clearances behind Simon Black and has of late really increased his ability to clear the pill. Since 1998 he has had more clearances than Buckley, Voss, Cousins, Crawford, Ricciuto, McLeod Stevens and Bell. Not bad for a pussy.

:eek: You're kidding about Campbell and his hardness rating. He is by far the most under rated hard man in the comp. In fact, he made more hardball gets than Voss and Buckley in 2002; carries the midfield, runs all day, loyal to the club; and wins games on his own boot.

C'mon have a re-think.

Dan

Good point Dan. He also had the most tackles at Richmond last year. Always has the most clearances, and covers more territory than anyone. Has less clangers per possession that anyone else at the club. Skill, athleticism and toughness. What more do you want?