Daily Player reviews #8 Kayne Pettifer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Daily Player reviews #8 Kayne Pettifer

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
One of the guys who is in a Tigers e-mail loop with me at work is putting together a one-a-day player critique starting at #1 and working through the player list. It's a pretty good read so I thought I would share it with you.

Part 8 in the series….

8 - Kayne Pettifer

Position: Small Forward (Hopefully potential Midfielder)
Height: 182
Weight: 79
Career Games: 17
Career Goals: 15
Draft History: Taken selection number 9 in 2000 National Draft. At a time when everyone at Tigerland kept screaming about a lack of small forwards - he was one of a couple that were obviously targets.

2002 Averages: 10 Games, 4.7 Kicks, 2.8 Marks, 1.2 Handballs, 0.7 Goals, 0.9 Tackles, 0.2 Rebounds, 1.9 Inside 50s, 0.2 Clearance, 0.9 Clangers

2002 Summary: Case of the second year blues - or another case of a Richmond recruiting blunder? All in all a disappointing return. Kicked 4 goals against Carlton but apart from that only one saving grace (and a reasonable one) in a good game against the reigning premiers. At times showed some ability but really looked a lightweight, unfit, selfish brat. Certainly there is some potential there, and still young but treading a fine line. It seemed like every thing that didn't go his way on the field was the worlds worst calamity. Did show he can take a grab, but couldn't make it to a contest to save his life and wouldn't know the meaning of the words "Front & Square". If something went wrong early - it would go wrong most of the game and errors would flow. If it went well early, he tended to be better.

Previously: Showed a bit more in his first year when expectations were much lower. Similar numbers, but less mistakes, maybe less likely to have been frustrated, just happier to be out there. 2001 wasn't fantastic by any stretch, but he had shown enough to suggest the potential was there.

Ability: 4 - I'd be lying if I said I don't think this boy has ability - he does, but hasn't shown anywhere near enough. To date. Certainly not looking like a top 10 draft pick at this stage.
Offence: 5 - Did remind me (fleetingly) of KB at times, probably the build and the potential for massive hair loss - can steal a ball, is a reasonable grab and fairly solid kick. Is a fair offensive option - basically that's pretty much about it at this stage.

Defence: 1.5 - I didn't follow the U18's in 1999, but I'd bet this kid just ran around the middle and pushed forward with no thought of his opponent. Sorry, it aint that easy at this level. Didn't show the slightest inclination to be accountable for his man when Richmond didn't have the ball.

Hardness: 2 - Seemed to have a tough mouth on him, but that was about it. Happy to indulge in plenty of push and shove, but looked comical trying to do it. Needs to worry less about trying to appear tough and actually go hard at the ball and win it. Any slight physical pressure saw him in no-mans land. Admittedly he does look small and needs probably a good 5kg on him, but would get broke in two by a Voss if he went up against him in the midfield.

Speed: 4.5 - Looked half decent for speed on a lead a couple of times, but looks to me to be below average in this category for an AFL player. At his size, for the roles he's likely to play this is actually much worse.

Stamina: 3 - Simple - he's unfit. If he wants to be anything more than an expendable half forward looking at a short lived AFL career he's going to have to develop some much better running ability. Would show signs he was struggling half way into a game he'd been on the ground for half the time.

Delivery: 4 - Tends to float them too much for my liking and a monty to give it up under pressure. Could be better and will need to improve.

Air: 4 - Reasonable in the air, but seems to think he's better than he is. Physical pressure will ensure the ball comes free. Seems hell bent on creating enough space to get a good run for a speccy.
Ground: 4 - Fumbles under pressure and won't get in close and dirty.

Injury: 5 - Average - too early to tell either way.

Ruck: 0 - Now not really sure why I have this category - oh yeah for the big guys! :)

Temperament: 1 - Yes it's true - I rate him worse than Richo - Currently he acts like Leyton Hewitt and plays like Anna Kournakova

Ball: 3 - Has yet to show he can be a half reasonable ball winner. Has had a couple of good patches, but quick to fade out, virtually never to return.

Strengths: Does look a bit of a natural goal kicker and undoubtable has some ability. Can take a nice mark and a times would find himself in the right spot. Has shown in Coburg games he can go to the middle and win a lot of the footy, but does it through a higher natural level of ability and minimal work rate.

Daily Player reviews #8 Kayne Pettifer Pt2

Weaknesses: Sook - big sooky, sooky, la-la. Has to fix the attitude, otherwise will become cannon fodder. Looks terribly unfit for a guy who should be pushing for a midfield spot. Question marks over attitude and work rate. Is very easily pushed off the ball and struggles under physical pressure.

Overall: Didn't overly excite in his first year, but showed enough ability to suggest he wouldn't be a total loss. Unfortunately it must have gone to his head a bit as he certainly went backwards (IMHO) in his second year. While it's not uncommon for young kids to lose form in their second year - you at least look for signs of maturity and forward steps in their game. I don't really think he had any. Looks to lack the stamina to play in the midfield but does look to the have the "Game" to play there. I actually don't believe he'll make much of a forward, so he'd better find a spot midfield, probably got that reputation as a small forward by being a junior midfielder who through sheer ability was allowed to be completely unaccountable for his opponent ran ahead of the football and pushed deep into the forward line to kick goals, rather than being a type who could truly play forward and make opportunities. Has currently played more like a speculative round 5 or 6 pick rather than a genuine top-10 draft pick and hence the greater disappointment. I'm not prepared to write him off just yet, and I do think that with hard work he can make an AFL grade midfielder, but 2003 will be a big tell-tale on Kayne's career. Unless he presents a lot fitter and starts to fix the attitude, he'll be struggling to make any sort of an AFL career.

What he needs to do?
1) Get fit - he'll never make a midfielder the way he's shaping up, and flankers are a dime a dozen.
2) Get stronger - He's listed at 79kg - I find that hard to believe - he looks at least 5kg underweight and lacking the strength to play with men.
3) Lose the attitude and get on with the game.

Re: Daily Player reviews #8 Kayne Pettifer Pt2

Does anybody know how long the players are signed up for when they are first drafted?
I think we must have renewed Kayne's contract either at the end of last season or this season.
I'd be interested to know how long it's for.

I heard Dunc questioned about Kayne in an interview on Grandstand in 2001.
He said then that Kayne needs to improve his attitude and work harder.
He said what a big step it is from being the top player as a junior and have everything go your way, to playing AFL when you have nothing given to you. You have to earn it.
Seems it's not working too well just yet.

I questioned the worth of having Kayne in the senior team for so many weeks and such little ground time last season, but nobody seemed to agree with my thinking.

I think it would be much better for such a young player fitness and skill wise to play some full games for Coburg rather than average 10 mins ground time and 5 posessions a week for several weeks in the seniors.

When Kayne did go back he did stuff all in the reserves which was the biggest disappointment to me. I would have hoped he'd star to prove a point.

I'd like to see Kayne start for Coburg this season, and not go near the senior team until he lifts his work ethic and makes his presense felt.

I get the feeling that he won't make the grade unless he has a big attitude transformation. Go Kayne, lift your act.

(Another great assessment from OMH's friend. :))

Re: Daily Player reviews #8 Kayne Pettifer Pt2Curr

Agree with basically all of that OMH.

Currently he acts like Leyton Hewitt and plays like Anna Kournakova

;D

At least if he looked like Kournakova he might stick with his opponent (or should that be his opponent would stick with him) ;).

Seriously, in some of the practice games we should just leave him on a wing and get him to show his stuff. These 5-10 minute bursts a game in the forward pocket aren't doing him or us any favours.

Rosy and MT I agree with both of you. This is Kanyes chance to show if he's going to be a footballer or not.

Frankly the word I've heard informally about Sipthorpe and Fleming (not to mention Shir) indicates they are likely to push straight past Pettifer and consign him to the delisted list at the end of 03.

I, like many, reckon he's got the game and the head to play good footy, the big question is, does he have the heart?

I think the comment about heart is spot on here. I noticed that whenever Kayne gets involved in any physical stuff he looks totally intimidated.

You are being a bit tough on the kid. I think he has the most outstanding feet of any under 23 at the club (both passing and kicking goals).

And I have no doubt he will become an assett in the midfield.