Danny Jacobs and others at Essendon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Jacobs and others at Essendon

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
According to the Herald Sun, Danny Jacobs, Dean Solomon, Scott Lucas, David Hille etc etc have yet to agree to new contracts. I have no doubt most of the players will end up signing. However, given the number of players still to sign there is bound to be 1 or more unsatisfied players who will be looking to move.

What does everyone think of whether Richmond should be pursuing any of these players. Bearing in mind that the only reason they would be leaving Essendon is to get more money and because of the salary cap squeeze at Essendon. ie I think Richmond would have to give up high draft picks or young players to get them rather than say a Richo or a Bowden.

IMO - Richmond could easily accomodate either a Jacobs or a Solomon for a second round draft pick and/or a player. Although Lucas is in stella form, I think Lucas is a bit old already.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Alternatively, Essendon would certainly be interested in a back up ruckman.

Ruckman is a field where Essendons stocks are low.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
a couple of friends who are heavily involved with the EFC rate Solomon in the top 5 at Windy Hill. I trust their judgement and think he could certainly add something to our list.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
I have watched Solomon pretty closely this year and he is a good hard player... tends to start well but then disappears also gives away a lot of free kicks. Having said that I think he would be a good asset to harden the midfield and he is still young.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Don't neglect the important selection criteria. Solomon was a bit disappointing only ranking about 1500 in my Dream Team Let me down when I needed him. ;)

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
tro-boy said:
Danny Jacobs, Dean Solomon, Scott Lucas, David Hille etc etc have yet to agree to new contracts.

In order - Hilly, Solly, Danny, Scotty.

Hille's still young, but one of the best ruck man at that club, would be a good pick up seeing as he is only 19 0r 20.

Solly is a good "tough nut". Although as walster said, he gives away alot of free kicks.

Danny - havent really watched him play, but put him higher then scotty, because i think Lucas is getting a bit old to trade. Have bummer supporter friends who rate Danny highly.

Scotty - Is getting to old to pick up i think. Also when he is on song he is great, but when he is having a bad day - watch out. I think he is a bit inconsistent, but as tro boy said he has been in very good form as of late.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
rosy3 said:
Don't neglect the important selection criteria. Solomon was a bit disappointing only ranking about 1500 in my Dream Team Let me down when I needed him. ;)

He got you too hey. He stil lgot a berth everywekk which is more than I can say for some. At least I ended up 2nd in my league. Happy with that.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Essendon only have one Ruckman, so can't see them letting Hille go. Lucas is too much like Richo in some ways it seems, either very good or very ordinary, no middle ground. Jacobs has looked Ok, but he has always had good support in Fletcher, Wellman & Soloman. Soloman seems to have come back Ok from his knee, so might be worth a look, as long as the price isn't too high.

Tom_Hafey

Tiger Cub
Dec 17, 2002
Can't see Essendon letting Soloman go, was dynamic for them earlier on and maybe was carrying a bit of an injury in the latter part of the season.

Jacobs is the interesting one I wouldn't mind getting him, he's an experienced backman and his inclusion would add depth to our back half and would probably free up Zantuck a bit more to either go forward or play in the midfield. Campbell will be back next year and he will probably also play more in the backline than the middle.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Don't know how Jacobs would fit in at Richmond?

He might find it a bit tougher at AFL level without the likes of Fletcher, Lucas, Wellman and Soloman down back plus the likes of the Johnsons and Peverill to lend assistance.

I also have memories of Round 6 this year when Fletcher and Wellman were out and Jacobs played at Full back and struggled at Full back against Royce Vardy and Billy Nicholls. Unless he was going cheap, I would steer clear of him.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Jacobs is one of those in-between players who's a little too big for a pocket or a flank but not big enough for key position. He's good when he's the third man up in a contest or taking a second or third string backmen but then again so are AK and even Zantuck but struggle on the gun forwards.

He's a good, solid player but you can't build a side around him and in Richmond's situation thats what its all about.

Let's hope Richmond don't trade away their picks, instead using them to draft and develop their own talent rather than taking second stringers from ther clubs.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Young Tiger said:
Don't know how Jacobs would fit in at Richmond?

He might find it a bit tougher at AFL level without the likes of Fletcher, Lucas, Wellman and Soloman down back plus the likes of the Johnsons and Peverill to lend assistance.

I also have memories of Round 6 this year when Fletcher and Wellman were out and Jacobs played at Full back and struggled at Full back against Royce Vardy and Billy Nicholls. Unless he was going cheap, I would steer clear of him.

That wasn't the only game he struggled in whiel those guys were out! He could develop well at Essendon, but would be washed up inside 2 years with us.