Danny won't be distracted (AFL website) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny won't be distracted (AFL website)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Frawley won't be distracted
1:05:45 PM Fri 8 August, 2003
Jordan Chong
afl.com.au

Richmond coach Danny Frawley won’t let the farewell game of his former St Kilda team mate Nathan Burke distract him from the task of securing the four points.

At Punt Road before training on Friday, Frawley said he hasn’t spoken to Burke this week, preferring instead to concentrate on getting his team prepared for Saturday night’s match at Telstra Dome.

“To be honest, I haven’t really focused on it. He (Burke) is one of 22 that we’ve got to really be mindful of,” Frawley said.

“I’m coach of the Richmond Football Club and I think people have got their perspectives all wrong as far as I’m concerned.”

“All I’m focused on is making sure our boys acquit themselves really well and give 100 per-cent for each other.”

Saturday night’s match at Telstra Dome will be Burke’s 323rd and last in his VFL/AFL career, an achievement Frawley will reflect on after the final siren.

“The sentiment, from my perspective, will be there after the game.”

“We’ll worry about the consequences after the game and hopefully we’re the ones with the smiles on our faces.”

The match will be the second this season in which the Tigers will face a pumped-up opposition side desperate to give a team mate a fitting send-off. Richmond lost to the Jason McCartney-inspired Kangaroos by three points in round 11.

“We’ve just got to make sure we grind out four quarters. We can’t control what they (St Kilda) are going to do. We’ve got an exciting opportunity to win a game of football.”

“We’ve just got to make sure we grind out four quarters.

Why do we have to turn the game into a grind when we haven't even stepped one foot on the park yet Danny ??? Remember when we kicked 7 goals in the first quarter earlier this year playing attacking running footy and we won comfortably. That's right it was against the Saints ::).

It ain't gonna be pretty to watch folks :(.

As soon as I read that comment I thought geez I'm almost glad I can't get to the game.
Why this negative outlook all the time. I'd prefer the team to go out there intending to blast them off the ground rather than grind out 4 quarters.
I think Danny seriously needs to address his attitude to games or next season won't be too pretty either. :mad:

mightytiges said:
Frawley won't be distracted
1:05:45 PM Fri 8 August, 2003
Jordan Chong
afl.com.au

“We’ve just got to make sure we grind out four quarters. We’ve got an exciting opportunity to win a game of football.”

Isn't "grinding out a game" and an "exciting" game of football a contradiction in terms?

JohnF said:
Isn't "grinding out a game" and an "exciting" game of football a contradiction in terms?

I'd say it's closer to an impossibility John.

But I don't think Danny said it was going to be an exciting game, rather an exciting opportunity to win a game.

Just the same, I share your bemusement. I just don't get it. :'(

LOL MC24, I stand corrected. Just the same, any mention of "grinding" and "excitement" seem logically inconceivable, unless its the excitement that comes from bump n' grinding. ;D

What a bumbling nuffa he is. Hopefully these rumours of Humprey B Bear are correct ;D

From what i saw at training today, I'm expecting a chip it around, stop start boring game again.

They will be flogged.

Schulz will play on Riewoldt, spent the session working on his spoiling with Stewie Loewe

Hall wont play again this year.

Our poor Danny would have to be the most negative coach in the history of Aussie Rules. No wonder our players approach each game with such an inferiority complex from the first Bounce!!
My favorite fantasy is to watch the Tigers playing the type of exciting game that the Lions and WCE play.
Some will say we haven't got the ingredients to play as such but why not be a bit more innovative and courageous enough to give it a go. Only good can come out of it besides extra entertainment for the paying fans.
Come on Danny be daring and give it a GO !!

rosy3 said:
I think Danny seriously needs to address his attitude to games or next season won't be too pretty either. :mad:

I think Danny seriously needs to spend the next four weeks at Larundel - then retire peacefully at his spud farm.