Democrats win U.S. Senate control | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Democrats win U.S. Senate control

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Democrats win U.S. Senate control
November 09, 2006 12:18pm
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20728214-5006301,00.html

DEMOCRATS wrested control of the Senate from Republicans with an upset victory in Virginia, giving the party complete domination of Capitol Hill for the first time since 1994.

Jim Webb's squeaker win over incumbent Senator George Allen gave Democrats their 51st seat in the 100-seat Senate, an astonishing turnabout at the hands of voters unhappy with Republican scandal and unabated violence in Iraq.

Allen was the sixth Republican incumbent senator defeated in Tuesday's elections.

The Senate had teetered at 50 Democrats, 49 Republicans for most of Wednesday, with Virginia hanging in the balance. Webb's victory ended Republican hopes of eking out a 50-50 split, with Vice President *smile* Cheney wielding tie-breaking authority.

America now becomes a lame duck for the next 2 years.
I wonder who will be the next Democrat President of the USA?
(I'm still upset that Al Gore was robbed.)

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004
I am still gutted by the 2000 result. Hopefully, this will get a bit of balance and perspective into the situation in Iraq. Rumour has it, a shrivelled up John Howard was found in the carcass of George W a couple of hours ago.... ;)

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
LidsandBling said:
what does everyone make of rumsfeld resigning after the result?

Early falling on sword, preventing others from lynching him.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Phantom said:
LidsandBling said:
what does everyone make of rumsfeld resigning after the result?

Early falling on sword, preventing others from lynching him.

It was a retirement only in name. It was clearly a case of the first head to roll in the Republican's damage control to be competitive in two years time.

newyorktiger

Last Year
Can Democracy and Capitalism work together?

I’ll be paraphrasing, but last night on the financial news channel CNBC, I heard this comment:

“The Dow closed at a new record high today on today’s election news. The market sentiment is that a gridlocked government will be good for business.”

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Phantom said:

(I'm still upset that Al Gore was robbed.)

Gore should have won that election in a canter, without the need for all the ruckus in Florida. Didn't even win his home state of Tennessee. He blew it.

Pessimism says Hillary gets the nomination, John McCain loses the Republican nomination to a hardliner, and Hillary can't win.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Anduril said:
Great result, let's hope the emphasis is now returning to moderation.

here, here.
lets hope that Mr Bush takes the message on board.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Is it possible that Bush could be the most unpopular President in the history of America........... even more despised or ridiculed than NIxon (also a republican).

The people of America have had enough and for the life of me i just cannot see anything but a landslide defeat to Bush and his Republicans in 2 years time as Bush.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
Next Democrat President???
Either one of Hilary Clinton or Barack Obama---either would be great--in my lifetime I would love to see either a female or a negro in the White House.
Barack Obama is still deciding whether to run or not in 2008---- I HOPE HE DOES!!!!!

for an excellent biography on the man--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama