"Disco" Roach to Assist Brett Lee | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

"Disco" Roach to Assist Brett Lee

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
Puntroad.com can exclusively reveal that Richmond goal kicking legend Michael "Disco" Roach has been working in secret with Australian Cricketer Brett Lee. Lee has been left out of the
last two Australian One Day international games due to both a suspect bowling action and celebration ritual. Roach, who has worked with Richmond champion forward Matthew Richardson on his technique, is hopeful that his input can help the very well sponsored fast bowler back to his best.

Speaking a stones throw from Mt Wellington, Roach said "Yeah, look, Brett's had a busted up elbow, his run up is suspect, and his had some family problems. It's no wonder than he's spraying them about like runny bottom. It's just what Richo used to do, so I've talking with Brett about some techniques that he might want to try that worked with Richo."

The first thing Roach wanted to rule out was Scoliosis. Scans were done at the Hobart General Hospital. These came back all clear. Roach then ran some tests of his own, a came to the conclusion that, like Richo, Lee was thinking too much.

"Yeah look, a bloke like that just needs to run on instinct. He's bloody good at bowling, not thinking. Thinking is just distracting him from what he's there to do. Bowl bloody fast in a straight line while also trying to knock a bloke's head off."

Roach said the he also used the sessions to talk to Lee about his Over the Top Celebration Style.

"Yeah, look, I told him that the Chainsaw thing made him look like a fair dinkum goose. We went back to some 70s and 80s footage of DK Lillee and I reckon that Brett took a lot away
from it. Hopefully, we'll see less pogoing and more whatever the French word for cool disinterest is. I want to see his body language saying "Oh! Did I just send Tendulkar's middle stump cartwheeling over and over?". I think I got Brett to see that pumping the ground after you've got the 10th wicket caught off in the deep after you've been carted all over the ground isn't really appropriate."

Lee was quick to thank Roach for his help, but not as quick as he might have been before his elbow injury.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
It was several years ago, Wrenny, and Richo was starting to really kick some goals. Then Danny came and RFC dispensed with Roachie's services. At least I think it was when Danny came . . . but I'm not saying it was Danny who got rid of Disco.

You have to watch what Tigerina writes it's called "satire".

Good, but. Onya Tigerina.

brodders

groovy baby , YYEEAAAHHH
Nov 14, 2003
melbourne
sounds like something spud would do
remember he gave stewie loewe the ruck coaching job while garry dempsey was waiting for a phone call

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
I'd hate to think Spud off-loaded Disco. I used to be on the Spud bandwagon, but I am sitting on the fence at the moment...will have to get off soon, too many splinters.... ;D

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
it was funny the other day reading Jeff Thomsons article regarding Brett Lee.

Thommo wrote that if Brett Lee was a Queenslander, he would be playing in the Z Grade league.

I could only think, if he was a Victorian, he wouldnt of player a single game for Australia full stop.

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Not really the forum for it, but for all of his economy and no-ball problems Brett Lee is an awesome talent and should be helped through his current slump to return a bigger and better player. Plenty of good players have form slumps, Steve Waugh got dropped and came back to be one of the best batsmen in history, Greg Chappell made a heap (7?) ducks in a row and came back etc. Cricket, like most sports, is a confidence game and as Steve Waugh once said "You never lose your ability but you do lose your confidence". Much like Richo kicking for goal.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I'd say most people would agree with you there Jayfox. It's just that he should be getting his form back playing for NSW not AUSTRALIA. How he got chosen ahead of Williams and Bichel in the last test is bewildiring.

Same for the one dayers, Bichel is more economical and better with the bat!!

My Dad first told me about the bias towards NSW players getting games at test level (even if they were undeserved) when I was about 8. It seems nothing has changed!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
A form slump don't go for twenty or thirty matches, his fgures in his first half dozen games were brilliant since then everyone has worked him out and he's been ordinary and getting worse. Without being able to hide as the number four bowler behind Pigeon,Warnie and Dizzy he has been exposed rather badly, time to get rid of him and start giving some of the younger bowlers a proper look in.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I concur, TM. It has always been the same though. In the history of Oz cricket, there has been the states who are the "in" thing while cricketers from other states get overlooked.

I can't talk for other countries but it seems there is more than just hard work and talent needed to be picked for the Green Baggy.

And if you don't fit the image, you'd better have a good peg to hang your hat - sorry, cap.

There have always been players who were never given a look-in. Sid Barnes was a classic example - he was too good to overlook but the Establishment used to wince every time he strode to the crease. And didn't he give it to them!

He would have been a serious contender to be the next Bradman but he didn't fit!

But every country has it's turn at supremacy. The Poms (and I still think there is only one REAL test series - us against the Poms, The Enemy as my old dad used to call them) and look at them now.

The Windies, how fearful they were with those skyscraper demon bowlers - and what a comedown they have been on.

Oz has to blood new players or we could go the same way. Well, we will one day, but we can forestall that time by blooding newbies. If a batsman or bowler is in a bad patch, replace him. Send him back to State comps. See who else we have to step up.

Sorry, I get carried away with my test cricket just like I do with my beloved Tigers.

There is only one thing better than beating the Poms at cricket and that's thrashing Collingwood at footy. Drat! I said the C-word again. Bad boy, Roar! Blaaah!

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Roar34 said:
It has always been the same though. In the history of Oz cricket, there has been the states who are the "in" thing while cricketers from other states get overlooked.

Like David Hookes (R.I.P.) said in NSW you get a Baggy Green cap at the same time as your NSW cap, to save time.

Though I'm only 37, and have only seen Sid Barnes on old news reel footage, he was a good cricketer. But in Aust Cricket there hasn't always been a place for those who don't toe the line.