Dockers in air raid | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dockers in air raid

P

PuntRoadRoar

Dockers in air raid

By David Reed

FREMANTLE has brought back Aaron Sandilands, its "giant tarantula", in a bid to dominate Richmond in the air at Subiaco Oval tomorrow.

Sandilands was left out against Sydney last Sunday for team balance on the smaller SCG.

But the 211cm ruckman has won back his spot as the Dockers prepare to take on a Tiger team containing Brad Ottens, Matthew Richardson and Ben Holland and fresh from kicking 24 goals in a moral-boosting win over the Western Bulldogs last week.

The stakes are high for the Dockers, who are chasing a club record 11th win for the season.

While Richmond hopes Ottens, Richardson, Holland and its impressive mosquito fleet will prove a handful up forward, Fremantle is planning to cause some headaches in its own forward 50m arc.

Trent Croad and Justin Longmuir have the size and height to worry the undersized Tigers defence, led by Ty Zantuck and Andrew Kellaway.

Fremantle could also throw Sandilands or Troy Simmonds forward to underscore the mismatches.

Steven Koops was also added to the Dockers side, while Luke Webster and Troy Longmuir were omitted.

Webster, who has adjusted quickly to the pace of the AFL, and Longmuir, who kicked two goals at half-forward in Sydney, can consider themselves unlucky.

Dockers football operations manager Steven Icke said: "Those two are desperately unlucky to be dropped.

"But we have taken the approach we have (bringing in Sandilands and Koops) because we think those players can give us an advantage in some of the key match-ups.

"And they'll give us the flexibility we need for some strategies we have planned for the weekend."

The Tigers were again unable to consider consistent ruckman Greg Stafford, who missed last week's win after injuring his hamstring at training.

The 28-year-old has been a key man, playing 15 of 17 games this season.

Stafford was excellent in atrocious conditions at the MCG in round three when the Tigers thumped Fremantle by eight goals.

He had 25 hit-outs and his bullocking work around the packs contributed to Richmond's dominance.

West Australian midfielder Mark Coughlan was best afield with 28 touches, two goals and a crunching 10 tackles.

Fremantle will be keen to avenge the loss, which was probably the low point of its season.

In-form wingman Shaun McManus has recovered from a knock to the knee and is expected to play. Webster, Longmuir and Andrew Browne were named as emergencies.

Richmond took a leaf out of the Dockers' travel book, arriving in Perth two days before the game.

August 01, 2003

http://thegame.thewest.com.au/20030801/afl/news/tg-afl-new-sto107185.html

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Our poor disposal, decision making and skill level will be apparant for all to see in this weeks loss to the Dockers. We are poor in these areas at the G and Testra Dome, let alone on the big Subi Oval.

Bowden's turnovers will prove costly in this 12 goal drubbing this week.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
I think we will go alot better than alot of people think.
I will put my money where my mouth is and back the Tigers at the TAB with 29 and half points start at the $1.90. Good bet I reckon.
Whats even more interesting is that if Carlton beat Essendon. Before anyone thinks that I should be locked away, Both Richmond and Carlton won the corresponding games in Round 1/ .
If Carlton did fluke winning, it makes the race for the eight a bit more interesting.
And NO, I shouldnt be locked away, not yet anyway

cogs_is_sexy24

Tiger Rookie
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
if anyone wanted to know, in the herald sun this morning, in the tipping section, out of 25 tipsters, only 1 tipped richmond - and that person was the kiss of death. shows you how many people have hope in us!

i think we'll do all right against freo, though.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
The $1.90 the Tigers with 29 points start was very nice.
Did get a bit worried in the last few minutes though.