Does anyone have any real hope about 2004? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Does anyone have any real hope about 2004?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I personally believe the core of our team is strong, but NO team can afford to carry players - and we carry 4 or 5 every week. Trading players from the core could see us in a worse predicament then we are already in.

The other problem compounding our lack of depth is the fact that our list is 2 players short to start with. We therefore can't really afford to trade say Bowden and Holland for one "Good" player without compounding the real problem of depth ie carrying 4 or 5 each week.

If we are to be any hope, the improvement has to come from within players on our list + 2 or 3 good pick-ups! When it comes to de-listing, THAT has to be the mindset.

Example:

These are the guys i think we could see real improvement from:

Hilton - if played where he can run straight at it, from defense

Dragicevic - with a solid pre-season, he's a midfielder with skills so improvement here would be invaluable.

Fiora - if used on a wing where his run and long kicking can hurt the opposition. Not in defence where they isolate him because he's physically weak. If used attackingly he could improve out of sight.

Fleming - started season with a broken wrist and had gradual improvement as season went on. Solid pre-season, he won't be a gun but could be a handy hard at it rotation in the midfield. There is worse on our list.

Ray Hall - Free of injury and with a role, could be THE big improver. Has heaps of agility for a tall.

*smile* - Should add something extra next year. Didn't get a chance to give us anything this year.

GET RID OF THESE AS THERE WILL BE NO IMPROVEMENT:

Houlihan - He is as good as he will ever be, and that isn't good enough.

Rogers - It's gone past him.

Biddiscombe - I wouldn't expect improvement from a 27 year old.

King - getting worse, not better. Will enter next season as a 26 year old.

Mills- Less likely than Hyde and Dragicevic to give the improvement we need.

Pettifer - You need some outriders, but if this guy rode any further our he'd have to get a stamp on his hand to get back in the stadium.

Nicholls - Can't even see why we got this guy. Redford, you obviously have an eye for talent, am i missing something here with Nicholls??

Seven de-listings when we were 2 short on our list to start with is heaps!

Along with the return of Gaspar and Campbell - a full season from Holland and Ottens, you'd think we wouldn't get a worse run in 2004 with injuries!

Our other area of improvement would be A BETTER GAME PLAN, now that would improve us no end. If we are serious, we'd at least try to get the Plough down as an assistant and then let him run the show over Spud!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Totally agree frick.

RFC will overhaul the list and will make changes that will raise a few eyebrows.........this rumour is getting stronger and stronger.........so expect some core players and highish draft picks to be traded.

This will leave the list worse off depth wise.........a hole which Danny Failure won't be able to get us out of.

Our core is solid, one which a good coach can certainly get playing good football...........I fear the clowns at the club will tear apart this core and leave us in a worse state.

What is required is to leave the core as is and merely add to it gradually with youth............this won't happen as the coaching and recruiting staff are after quick results in order to save their jobs.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Good post Frickenel. Agree with most of your thoughts.

I think a lot obviously depends on how good a season our best 6 players have say Campbell, Richo, Gaspar, Ottens, Coughlan and Johnson.

If these players have good years and are relatively injury free, we will win our share of games and will be competitive. Not that this will be good enough to be Premiership contenders but cleaning out the dead wood on our list is a 2 to 3 year task.

A player like Brad Ottens is due for a great year. Showed what he was capable of in 2001 and he was part of the reason why we won so many games in that year. He is a player that is capable of winning games off his own boot. It is no coincidence that 2002 and 2003 have both been poor years and both years where we got only minimal benefit from Ottens and Gaspar.

With a full pre season and a bit of luck on our side, hopefully Brad is due for a blinder next year. Would love to see him play most of the year at Centre Half Forward (with Stafford fit enough to play in the ruck most of the time) because he is such a great mark and a great kick of the football at his best.