Doing the link thing? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Doing the link thing?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Hello all, can somebody please give me a very simple detailed way to put links up i.e from papers.
Also im going to go buy a digital camera in a minute any info on how to put up photos i.e pre season training snaps,would be greatly appreciated.

To post the links they need to have an URL address.  You can either get that from the top of the page with articles and websites (ie http://www.puntroadend.com/)  or with photos you can right click on them and click on properties and copy the address from there. 

The images first need to be uploaded on the web somehow to give them an URL address.  I'll leave that bit for someone else to advise on.  There are several free image hosting sites.

The easy way is to click on the appropriate BBC button (the ones above the smilies)  and paste the URL address between the brackets.

The Link one is the world globe 3rd from the left on the bottom row. [url ] [ /url]

The photo or image one is the picture frame second from the left on the bottom row. [ img ] [ /img ]

To link without showing a long address you can add an = sign and the address in the first brackets

[ url=http://puntroadend.com/]PuntRoadEnd website [ /url ]

I put spaces in the brackets to show the above example. With the spaces removed it shows as

PuntRoadEnd website

There's a Test board (on the Feedback board) where you can practice to see if that all makes sense CC.

If you quote my post you'll be able to see how I've done it too.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/

wbFOOTYpolak_narrowweb__300x482,1.jpg

Image posting:

As Rosy says, there's heaps of sites that allow you to upload images. I use ImageShack http://www.imageshack.us/.

It's reasonably painless. Go to the site, click on browse, find the picture you want from your computer, click on OK, then click Host It! on the web page. If it's a massive image, you can select the resizing option, which will crop it down to a nice, forum-sized image. But that isn't a huge problem, as you'll see soon enough...it just takes longer for the image to be uploaded.

It then, after a while (depending on how fast your internet connection is) comes up with a lovely page with lots of stuff on it. I generally ignore most of it.

Now, there's two ways you can display the image, either as a thumbnail (as I've done with the above and below pics) or as a direct image. If you want to thumbnail it, just click once in the "thumbnail for forums" box and press Control + C, or right-click and select Copy from the menu. Generally this is best for larger images (told you you'd see soon enough ;) ).

If you're only posting a small image (like the one I've posted at the bottom of this post), you can skip that and just highlight and copy the text in the "direct link to image box".

Now come back to PRE, write out your well thought out post or whatever and then, when you're ready to attach the picture...it'll depend on how you're planning to display the picture.

If you're thumbnailing it up (cough), simply paste (Control + V or right-click - Paste) the text directly into your post, no need to muck around.

If you're using the direct link, you need to click on "Insert Image", just below the italics button. Two little tags will be inserted into your post, [ img] and [ /img] (without the spaces). You'll notice that your cursor has been moved so it's between these two tags. Now, all you need to do is press Control + V (or right-click - Paste, but make sure you're pasting it between the tags).

Now its simply a matter of pressing Preview to make sure it worked...and then press Post and Bob (and all his brothers except maybe one, if that one is your father...oh shhh) is your Uncle!!!

Exhibit A:

iconstupidgm0.gif

btw...can I get that added to the Smiley list, by any chance? ;)