Downloadable Symantec Antivirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Downloadable Symantec Antivirus

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me, since the symantec website is a nightmare to try and contact anyone for help. I'm also not that computer savvy. My subscription expired for the anti virus kit so I went to the site to renew. The virus protect kit I have is discontinued so I had to buy a different one (for a much higher price :mad: ). I have dial up so it took me about 4 1/2 hours to download it. Anyway, as soon as it finished downloading, it disappears. When I open it to install, there is nothing to say where to click etc. The only button I can click on makes it start downloading again, even though it's finished. I hope I'm making enough sense for someone to be able to help. I have windows xp. Help!!!!

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
Legends of 1980 said:
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me, since the symantec website is a nightmare to try and contact anyone for help. I'm also not that computer savvy. My subscription expired for the anti virus kit so I went to the site to renew. The virus protect kit I have is discontinued so I had to buy a different one (for a much higher price  :mad: ). I have dial up so it took me about 4 1/2 hours to download it. Anyway, as soon as it finished downloading, it disappears. When I open it to install, there is nothing to say where to click etc. The only button I can click on makes it start downloading again, even though it's finished. I hope I'm making enough sense for someone to be able to help. I have windows xp. Help!!!!

Hi Legends of 1980.
Firstly, I probably can't give you a lot of straight answers on this one as to how to fix it.

My opinion is to contact the site with all your purchase details and ask for your money back. Most companies that deal on the net will refund pretty quickly, especially if you can prove that the product is faulty or not fit for purpose, as I believe to be the problem in your case. The high cost may be because you have gone to the Symantec home page in the US and you may have been charged in US dollars, so a $100.00 product, would probably cost you $125.00-130.00 after conversion and fees from your bank.

Secondly, I like Symantec products. But (and it's a big but - pardon the pun ;D) they are expensive, and resource heavy on even the latest pc's. A number of pre enders use AVG anti virus, and I personally use the free version of Zone Alarm as a firewall. I have been doing so for well over 6 months without a hint of a problem. The best thing with both products is that they are free, gratis, nil, zip, nada, no cost!!!! There is a thread in Tech Corner regarding AVG, if you want to read it.

In the meantime, find a friend who has broadband if possible. Get them to download both programs onto their pc and copy them onto a CD, then give them a 6 pack of whatever their poison is :cutelaugh Take the CD, put it in your PC and install both programs. If you can't find a friend with broadband, the download for AVG is about 10Mb and I think Zone Alarm is about the same size. On dial up, my guess is about 40 to 45 mins, maybe an hour for both.

AVG link is: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Zone Alarm link is: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Smoo.

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
No probs, hope it is of some help. Hope you can get your money back. As I mentioned, for free programs, AVG and Zone Alarm perform extremely well. Norton/Symantec is probably my pick for the programs that cost you money, but my opinion is why pay when you don't have to.

Cheers,

Smoo.