Draft/Trade Strategy 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft/Trade Strategy 2023

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
With a lot of talk about our list strategy both in the past and moving forward, I thought I’d create a thread to discuss our options for this trade/draft period and beyond.

The way I see it we have made some significant recruiting errors over the last 2-3 years, mainly with the lack of drafting quality talls and skilled bigger bodied midfielders (Jeeze our list would look a hell of a lot better with Van Rooyen or Johnson instead of Brown). Obviously we have addressed some of our issues with Taranto and Hopper but potentially may have paid overs to fill a severe list hole.

Where to from here? As much as we have started the season poorly I still think we will come close to finals this year and be there abouts over the next few but desperately need some more young talent. Do we look at trading a future first in or do we try trade out a few players of value (Graham, Ralphsmith, Short, Broad or Vlaustin) for late first/early second picks and package this up to move of the board.

My thoughts are trading out Graham for a pick in the 20’s and potentially short for a late first. Could package those up with our second and end up with a couple top 15-25 picks plus Naish as a father Son.

Keen to hear everyone’s thoughts on this and also how to potentially bring in a ready made tall outside the obvious Himmelberg free agency???

Graham is a machine.
We need to keep our heads and just keep on bringing in kids.
Clubs stop drafting kids at picks 65-70. If we do clear the decks this year, picks 71-72-73etc will do.
Only in the last 15 years Clubs have started passing on picks & ending the draft prematurely.
Like Rambo said in Rambo 2
"There's are more out there Find them'

Reactions: 1 users
Trade Jack as he wants out. Absolutely.
Has currency and as much as I love him he is replaceable.

Trade Jack as he wants out. Absolutely.
Has currency and as much as I love him he is replaceable.
Does he actually want out though?

I know he toured Kochieland but was that just out of interest from them?

Yes he does.
Have it from the horses mouth.

Wants to go home.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Yes he does.
Have it from the horses mouth.

Wants to go home.
Any other inside word Z.

Theres something off at the club and has been somewhat apparent since 2020 for mine, even if its been denied and denied again.

Maybe he wants to go to the Crows instead of the Kochies!!

.Cheers mate

Graham is a machine.
We need to keep our heads and just keep on bringing in kids.
Clubs stop drafting kids at picks 65-70. If we do clear the decks this year, picks 71-72-73etc will do.
Only in the last 15 years Clubs have started passing on picks & ending the draft prematurely.
Like Rambo said in Rambo 2
"There's are more out there Find them'
The only way we are going to be able to bring in quality kids in the draft this year is by giving up players of value.

The only way we are going to be able to bring in quality kids in the draft this year is by giving up players of value.
Had the chance to offload Graham, Ralphsmith, & Soldo during the last trade period but for various reasons neither eventuated. I personally was hoping Graham and Ralphsmith went at the time

Reactions: 1 user
Any other inside word Z.

Theres something off at the club and has been somewhat apparent since 2020 for mine, even if its been denied and denied again.

.Cheers mate
I don't think it's wanting out of Richmond but more wanting to be back in SA.
Time will tell.

Port pulled the pin on Graham due to Horne-Francis wanting to join them which explains the reported inhospitable reception he was given at the time at Power HQ

Reactions: 2 users
Graham trade wouldnt at all surprise , as we have cover with Ross and others , short is a leader and highly regarded within group , wouldn’t be offered up

Port pulled the pin on Graham due to Horne-Francis wanting to join them which explains the reported inhospitable reception he was given at the time at Power HQ
Yes but with retirements looming with say boak they may see JG as a defensive mid replacement , dont forget , the postmen always knocks twice

Only reason he’s not currently at Port is because they caught wind of JHF wanting a trade and pulled the pin on JG (there was a video recently of his manager who basically confirmed that, I think on that “gettable” show). Think they’ve burnt their bridges with him, so if he wants to go home it’s Adelaide only. Whether they’d be interested is anybody’s guess

Yes but with retirements looming with say boak they may see JG as a defensive mid replacement , dont forget , the postmen always knocks twice
Quite possible, they didn't have the draft capital at the time having signed JHF & junior Rioli. Not sure what draft capital they have this year and following, Willem Drew is their defensive mid and have a few "defensive forwards" in SPP & Jones.

Quite possible, they didn't have the draft capital at the time having signed JHF & junior Rioli.
Reckon his management would steer him away after the embarrassment of last year. Richmond had no idea he was touring there, so the fact Port pulled out made it so much worse for Jack

Always remember our players are worth zero in the open market.
While clubs like Geelong and Collingwood score quality picks on suspect players

Reckon his management would steer him away after the embarrassment of last year. Richmond had no idea he was touring there, so the fact Port pulled out made it so much worse for Jack
Could be, if they have thicker skin than that with a business like mindset perhaps they could see the bigger picture in that JHF is a once in a generation talent that doesn't grow on trees.

Reactions: 1 user
Could be, if they have thicker skin than that with a business like mindset perhaps they could see the bigger picture in that JHF is a generational talent that doesn't grow on trees.
True. I guess time will tell, but I don’t think we’d get as good a pick as some people think we might if he left. I can’t see us getting anything better than a pick in the 30s tbh. I love what he brings to our side in the role he’s played this year, but he is just a good, honest footballer who isn’t a first choice, centre bounce midfielder. Taranto is basically an upgraded version of Graham in every way except kicking

Reactions: 3 users