Dutchy Definite, Dragga a Chance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dutchy Definite, Dragga a Chance

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Dutchy a definite, Dragga a chance
5:08:04 PM Wed 25 June, 2003
Tony Greenberg from RFC SITE

Ben Holland will make his comeback to AFL football in this Saturday night's Round 13 clash with Brisbane at the Gabba, while another Tiger knee victim, Marc Dragicevic, is rated a strong chance to make his return as well.

Richmond coach Danny Frawley confirmed Holland's selection in the side before the Tigers departed on their four-day Queensland trip this morning (Wednesday, June 25).

Holland has not played senior football since rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during the Round 4 match against Fremantle at Subiaco on April 21 last year.

"Ben will definitely play this week. He's got quite a bit of football under his belt now and is ready to go," Frawley said.

"It's going to be thrust upon him a bit now with Darren Gaspar and Ray Hall out, to take over that mantle in defence. But his form's been good in recent weeks, so he'll come back in and fill the void left by Darren and Ray."

Dragicevic, 22, hasn't played a senior game since Round 6 of the 2001 season, when he damaged his ACL for the first time, against the Kangaroos at the then Colonial Stadium (now Telstra Dome). He underwent a second knee reconstruction following the Tigers' Wizard Cup match against Carlton on the same ground in early 2002.

"Marc Dragicevic's right in the mix and that's a real positive story in itself . . . coming back from two knee reconstructions," Frawley said.

"His body's had to come to terms with playing football again because he hadn't played on a consistent basis for two years. Early on this season he was struggling to come up week in, week out at VFL level, but that was to be expected.

"We're still mindful of the fact that he's still getting over two major injuries to his knee, but in saying that, his confidence has really grown over the last couple of weeks.

"We all know Marc Dragicevic can play football . . . it was only a matter of getting his fitness levels up and his hardness around playing VFL/AFL footy again.

"We believe it might be a good opportunity to play him this week."

Ben Holland, understandably, was delighted to learn he would be back in action for Richmond this Saturday night . . .

"It's really good news. It's been a long road back, so to finally get in there and start playing AFL footy again will be great," he told Sport 927's Tigers' Club Corner.

"There were a few hiccups along the way. I came back and then after a couple of weeks I strained a thigh muscle, so I missed three weeks with that. Then I just did a clumsy, high tackle a couple of weeks ago in the VFL and I missed a week for that.

"I thought I might have been a chance in the Carlton game, but they said they wanted to give me two full games of footy in the VFL before I came back. I've done that the last two weeks, so now I feel I'm pretty well ready to go."

Holland's return to the Tiger line-up is particularly timely, given the recent season-ending knee injury suffered by key backman Darren Gaspar.

"With 'Gassy' out that's a massive hole to fill and not one player's going to be able to fill that hole. But hopefully I can go down there and gel in with Andy Kellaway, Mark Chaffey and all of the boys who have been down there the whole year doing a really good job, so we can cover the loss of Gassy.

"If we can get a solid back six for the second half of the year, it will be great for the team and provide some real stability."

Holland will not allow negative thoughts about the knee to enter his mind as he prepares for his first AFL match in 14 months.

"I'm not worried about the knee at all. I've done a lot of really extensive rehab. and come through four or five games unscathed now," he said.

"The knee's feeling good . . . really strong. I suppose during the week you're more conscious of it, but once you get out on the field you're more worried about getting a kick, or stopping your opponent from getting a kick.

"Well, that's my thought process anyway, which is probably good because if you do start thinking about little niggles and things like that, you're probably not going 100% -- and that's when you do get injured."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
g0tigers it's been about 16 months since Dragga's last reco. The knee should be as stable as it's ever going to be now. Having confidence in his knees was Dragga's biggest hurdle to overcome this season. The kids been through a lot and deserves a change of luck.

Good luck to Dutchy and Dragga. A good win at the Gabba Sat night will get their careers back on track again.

Tiges by 28. ;D

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
g0tigers said:
Worst thing that could happen is they play dragga too early (as usual) and he does his knee again. ::)
He's been playing for Coburg for at least a month and a half now after suffering a set back with a shoulder injury but I watched him play Saturday and he was throwing his body in and not shying away from contests. So I don't think they club is playing him too early.

It'd be great to see him out there on Saturday. Great effort to be even playing footy again. If it was me I think I would have given up after it went the 2nd time. Good luck Dutchy and Dragga, kick arse!