Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
lamb22 said:
The next test will be how he goes on a Dawes or Hall or resting rucks.

He should be given a good 6-8 game run at it to see how he goes. We are so poorly off for key position backmen that we need to get as much development into guys like Grimes as possible. Let's see if there is anything to work with.

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
monteath said:
I must have been at another game! He was destroyed in every contest. His effort in the last quarter when no one was near him and he missed the punch by a foot, was indicative of a rabbit in the head lights. he is too small fot a KPD and too slow for a running defender. That is why he wasn't drafted. We are the only idiots who couldn't see that. Just another Paddy Steinfort.

we need to have red cards like bigfooty for this sort of stuff

ranked 8th at his draft camp for the 20m sprint out of all players with a time of 2.95 seconds

ranked 9th in the agility test

ranked 9th in the repeat sprints

and that's for a guy who's 193cm tall, easily big enough for a KPP

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Credit must go to Clarkson on how he kept space behind Buddy, an the fact he was one out so often, thought DG showed signs again, his pace is exceptional, stayed with Buddy on the lead, fact is he played on the best 6'5 HFF of all time

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Did well, stuck at it. Second game on Buddy with his tail up, geez what an ask. Impressive.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
scanners said:
looks okay
just needs a few seasons in the weights room.

I agree. I will be interested in how he performs this week.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Watched his game closely again today. Was very good against Buddy one on one, I don't think he got out marked once in a contested situation. Is brave and use the ball well too.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
Let's not go overboard, the conditions were perfect for a defender, how many overhead contested marks were taken for the game?

He shows ability and hopefully they persist with him but it could have got real ugly if it was dry.

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
Big Cat Lover said:
Let's not go overboard, the conditions were perfect for a defender, how many overhead contested marks were taken for the game?

How many key backs can keep up with Franklin on the lead? He only has two contested marks all season so he relies on being quicker and more agile than his opponent. Grimes was a bit unlucky Buddy had the kicking boots on for once.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Big Cat Lover said:

Grimes was always going to handle him in the air, wet or dry night, Buddy isn't a good contested mark.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
It was not a night for pin point passes to leading players. The conditions clearly favoured defenders. If it was dry it could have got very ugly for Grimes & Astbury. Hope they keep persisting with them although Astbury may be up for a rest at some stage.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Franklin can be a freak when he wants to be. He got his first goal from a very soft free kick that he accentuated the light touch to the back. if you watch it again - he wouldn't even win a logie for his exaggerated performance, however the over officious umpire gave him a shot which he converted. He kicked 2 goals that were "just goals"....in that they were groundkicks that just scraped in - they are hit & mis shots at the best of times. He got both. Grimes did alright. More games for the boy - I think he'll end up ok.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
jimbob said:
Franklin can be a freak when he wants to be. He got his first goal from a very soft free kick that he accentuated the light touch to the back. if you watch it again - he wouldn't even win a logie for his exaggerated performance, however the over officious umpire gave him a shot which he converted. He kicked 2 goals that were "just goals"....in that they were groundkicks that just scraped in - they are hit & mis shots at the best of times. He got both. Grimes did alright. More games for the boy - I think he'll end up ok.

I think he will be OK too, and want to see him get more games. But don't think it's going to get any easier for him. Those conditions on Sat night were a tall defenders dream.

BTW the free was there, Grimes had his hands right in his back and Franklin ensured the umpire could not miss it.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
jimbob said:
Franklin can be a freak when he wants to be. He got his first goal from a very soft free kick that he accentuated the light touch to the back. if you watch it again - he wouldn't even win a logie for his exaggerated performance

Just on that free kick, the ball was WAY over the top of Buddy and Grimes, which means no free kick should have been paid.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Absolutely correct. It was a well below average decision. The touch on the back, did not for a second change anything - except in the mind of the "I have read the rule book - chapter 5 - subsection 7 - line 3" umpire. Shame some of them can't exercise common sense. Mind you, they did allow a lot of wrestling in the ruck & considering the conditions that was sensible. The worst bit for us is that Franklin got the freebie - kicked it & was away.........

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
jimbob said:
Absolutely correct. It was a well below average decision. The touch on the back, did not for a second change anything - except in the mind of the "I have read the rule book - chapter 5 - subsection 7 - line 3" umpire. Shame some of them can't exercise common sense. Mind you, they did allow a lot of wrestling in the ruck & considering the conditions that was sensible. The worst bit for us is that Franklin got the freebie - kicked it & was away.........

Well said jimbob.

Grimo did a good job IMO.